Me using protein powder!?

Options
So I'm always struggling with eating enough protein. I should get around 110-120g but the most I can manage is 100g and that's only with more meat than I like to eat on a daily basis. I've refused to buy protein powder for a couple of reasons, including not wanting all the cr***p that seems to come with most "conventional" powders and also having actually tried one a couple of years ago which was disgusting.

Yesterday I was grocery shopping at the local wholefood shop and went to the aisle with organic "supplements" as I had been thinking to buy Chia seeds. Then I saw that they also have various protein powders and after having contemplated the whole issue for about 10 minutes, I decided to give it a shot and bought a small package of natural whey powder.

And here's my moment of amazement: I put it in my post-workout greek yogurt today, with a bit of jam and some cereals, and it actually tastes really good! It even gives the yogurt, which is low fat and therefore less thick and creamy than the full fat version, a much nicer and creamier texture.

I guess my point here, besides just needing to share my amazement :bigsmile: , is that there are great natural options out there so if you have a similar aversion as me, don't give up :wink: (And just in case someone's interested, the brand is called Pulsin, it's a UK brand.)

Replies

• enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yes, there certainly is a lot of variety in terms of protein powders on the market. Plenty of options out there for those of us trying to avoid junk such as artificial sweeteners, artificial flavours, etc. Most brands also have small packets available to try out their product before buying the larger and more economical tubs.

Using protein powder in addition to a healthy, balanced diet is definitely a good choice for those of us struggling to reach our protein macros.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is a convenience food with a high protein:calorie ratio, nothing more. Ideally you can get all the protein, etc. from 'real food', but there's something to be said for being able to mix a shake.
  • pkteen
    pkteen Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I find the chocolate peanut butter whey protein from Optimum Nutrition quite good tasting. I eat around 150-170 grams of protein a day so a couple of scoops of whey are an essential part of my diet.