Calculating calcium

Options
I don't know if someone asked this before i do or not , but i couldn't find anything !
Anyway , i want to calculate calcium and in some oof the foods i buy i have to create new food cause it's not avilable in thr database
So when i create the new food i can't enter the calcium , iron , ... Because i have to enter it in percentage not mg !! And most of the foods gives calcium in mg not precentage ! Is there anyway around it !? Or can i convert the mg to percentage !?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You would need to find out the RDA of calcium in mg then just work out the percentage your figure is of the RDA. So just some basic Maths
  • Ffitnesss
    Ffitnesss Posts: 13
    Options
    You would need to find out the RDA of calcium in mg then just work out the percentage your figure is of the RDA. So just some basic Maths
    How can i find the recommended dietary allowance ?
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    Google.. I just found it there !
  • Ffitnesss
    Options
    Google.. I just found it there !
    Yeah but i think it differ for each person , age , hight , goal , ... Etc

And some of the foods say 10% when it says 10% , depending on what !? 10% of the food , or my whole calories !? And the percentage on the foods i guess it refers to 2000 calories daily !!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Also...read this...

http://nof.org/articles/542

Part of being responsible for your health...is to take responsibility for it and not depend on others to do your research. If you spend the time required to gain the knowledge the more likely you are to succeed.
  • Ffitnesss
    Options
    Also...read this...

http://nof.org/articles/542

Part of being responsible for your health...is to take responsibility for it and not depend on others to do your research. If you spend the time required to gain the knowledge the more likely you are to succeed.
    Actually i did my research and i figured that the RDA for calcium 1000mg , and the site you gave me says 1300mg , see what i mean !? I think MFP should make calcium be measured with mg directly :3 !
    Cause i don't know what's the RDA in MFP app on iphone ! And i'm trying to gain weight so i don't know what the RDA should be ?
  • Ffitnesss
    Options
    And how can i know how much is the RDA in myfitnesspal app !? How much is it !!? So i can calculate the foods !:)?
  • transmute
    transmute Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    MFP measures in %, not mg, because as you literally just said, the recommended mg is different for each person. If the RDA for you is 1300mg, then 100% of that is 1300mg. If your RDA is 1000mg, then 100% of that is 1000mg.

If you are THAT invested in calculating your calcium intake directly, then your best advice is to get a pen and paper and write down the information from the labels of the things that you eat. You cannot rely on MFP for that information. If an American user submits a food to the database that supplies ~10% of the RDA, then they are operating on American RDA values. An Australian user can submit that EXACT SAME FOOD and it will only have ~8% of the RDA value for Australia. Even though both entries in the database have the exact same calcium content.
  • Ffitnesss
    Options
    But for example , if one tomato on the data base says it has 20% calcium , on which RDA ? How much mg !? Cuz if it refers to 1300mg it will be 260mg , and if it refers to 1000mg it'll be 200mg ? See what i mean !? I can't know and i don't think anyone can
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Most food in the US that has % RDA listed is based on a 2000 calorie diet. It usually says this somewhere on the packaging. Sometimes it will give the RDA % for 2000 and 2500 calorie diets and both values will be listed. Just have to look a little further on the label, but if you can't find that, I would just use the estimate that the RDA is based on a 2000 calorie a day diet. Google RDA recommendations for 2000 calorie diet and you should find out recommended mgs of different vitamins.