how do you deal with evenings cravings?

Options
All day im busy at work and I have my meal planned so its pretty easy to stick with it. If someone in the office brings in junk food I have the willpower to resist it during the day. But it seems couple hours after supper I start craving sugary fatty sweets...its like my willpower disappears after dark. I sometimes end up giving into the temptation and feel horrible for it afterwards. I tell myself now that treat wasn't worth how crappy I feel right now so I pledge not to give into the cravings again. But the next night uts the same thing. Im considering going to bed at 8pm just to avoid this! How do you all deal with cravings? PS. When I give in its usually within my calories but it puts me over my sugar and fat limit goals. Help.

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    If its within your calories its not the end of the world :)
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight I would brush my teeth. Not much tastes good after that.
  • aliciaapostolakos
    aliciaapostolakos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I must say, usually sticking to your meal plan is tough so good for you!! I'm not one to believe in these weekly cheat days because I know I will go overboard. If you're into chocolate buy dark chocolate chips and allow yourself to have a few every night before bed. It can act like an incentive for eating well all day. It beats the craving but doesn't have you over eat.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too! I have low cal cereal bars but they don't help, nor does fruit. I have tried. All I want is ice cream or chocolate. I KNOW I'm not hungry I just want it. I try not to keep it in the house as my willpower is shockingly bad.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you are hitting your calorie goal, then that's all that really matters. I would also suggest tracking carbs as a whole rather than sugar as a subset of carbs unless you have some overwhelming reason to track that micronutrient; manage your macros, not your micros. To that end, having macro goals is good in that in can teach you to have a more balanced approach to your diet...but I don't know anyone who hits them bang on all of the time and really, for weight loss they don't matter all that much....IMHO, they're mostly good for helping you get more balanced nutrition.
  • erin6989
    erin6989 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I have started forcing myself to drink a large glass of water before I have a snack. It keeps my hands busy for a few minutes while I figure out if I'm actually hungry or just bored.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The only thing that's works for me with late night cravings is to eat little at work when I'm too busy to realize I'm hungry and just eat 80+% of my calories during a huge dinner.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    If you are hitting your calorie goal, then that's all that really matters. I would also suggest tracking carbs as a whole rather than sugar as a subset of carbs unless you have some overwhelming reason to track that micronutrient; manage your macros, not your micros. To that end, having macro goals is good in that in can teach you to have a more balanced approach to your diet...but I don't know anyone who hits them bang on all of the time and really, for weight loss they don't matter all that much....IMHO, they're mostly good for helping you get more balanced nutrition.

^^^ Second this. Also, be flexible as no one is perfect and if you expect perfection out of your diet or yourself...you will be disappointed. I eat dark chocolate and/or ice-cream almost every night to help with cravings and most of the time, it's within my daily caloric intake (and I don't sweat the odd occasion it's not).