Work and Fitness

Options
Hello everyone! I am a 20 year old university student that is looking to shed a few pounds and get happy and healthy! Being a full time student you can imagine it would be difficult to be at the gym 3-4 times a week, so now that I am on summer holiday you can imagine how excited I am to be training more often. One problem, I work in retail and am one my feet for 39 hours not only walking by doing physical labour as well. Also, my work shifts are odd as I often do (10 am -6 pm, 12 pm -9 pm). Did I even mention that my schedule is changing week by week?! Also, I have knee issues and feet issue. Oh and the opening hours for my gym aren't the greatest and because of my weekend shifts I won't even be able to make it in on Saturday OR Sunday.

So enough about my background. Basically, I'm looking for advice. Today I begin a 9 hour shift with only 1hr break (not cut into segments) and woke up this morning with my feet hurting and my knee throbbing. It has essentially discouraged me from going to the gym this morning because I know I have a long day/evening ahead of me. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can stay on track with my fitness and weight loss program despite this clear obstacles?!

Be happy and stay fit!

Alicia

Replies

• Crash7676
    Crash7676 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Tough one. Injuries are tough to stay motivated through. Don't give up! Do you have a bike you can ride to work? Then take the long way home? Biking is easy on joints/knees. Does that gym have a pool? A swim, shower, then straight to work? Keep your "getting ready for work" stuff in a bag in your car so you don't have to go home in between gym & work. Good luck to you. :)
  • aquiva33
    aquiva33 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    As a nurse I've worked all types of shifts; but the early morning workout fits into all of them. Of course the night shift morning workout was a little later. For me I have to be okay with flexibility; instead of setting particular work out days. Take advantage of any days off.

As for and your pain; I understand it literally. I have injuries to both knees and feet. All I can say is, ice and soak. As the weight comes off that joint pain eases up as well.

Good luck finding your groove
  • aquiva33
    aquiva33 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Tough one. Injuries are tough to stay motivated through. Don't give up! Do you have a bike you can ride to work? Then take the long way home? Biking is easy on joints/knees. Does that gym have a pool? A swim, shower, then straight to work? Keep your "getting ready for work" stuff in a bag in your car so you don't have to go home in between gym & work. Good luck to you. :)

Good advice
  • cfrankjr003
    Options
    Hi, I am with you except I am in a corporate job working about 50 to 60 hours a week and traveling internationally. I also have two bad knees. What i have been doing is going to the gym before work. It is a little easier because Plant Fitness is open 24 hours. When I am traveling I typically bring a low impact workout dvd with me. One of my biggest problems with some of the hotel gyms is the machines do not speak English. Just do your best and try and stay on track. Best of luck.
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Find workouts to do at home and make time to do them. I am a single mom, full time student and work full time-- I make sure to get some sort of activity in before the end of the day--sometimes that means I sometimes get up a few mins earlier and do my workouts or try to multi task and read while I am on the treadmill at the gym or doing planks at home or taking 15-30 mins during my lunch to run if possible. Buy you some resistance bands-- I bought some at Ross for $5.00 and I use them for arm workouts, legs workouts and just simple stretching.

Keep up the cleaning eating too!

Good luck!
  • aliciaapostolakos
    aliciaapostolakos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help!
  • KettyLoyd
    KettyLoyd Posts: 51
    Options
    You can reduce weight at your home also. Take out some time for exercise and try to do it regularly. Also try to walk as more as possible instead of going by car or by bike to the nearest place. And also try to add fruit juice, vegetable soup, salad etc in your daily diet.