calorie defecit

Options
everyone here keeps saying as long as you're eating at a calorie defecit you should be loseing weight.
does that include your resting metabolic rate
because my RMR is about `1500 and i eat less than that...
so why am i not losing any weight.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of info missing to answer your question.

Will you open your diary?
    Are you logging consistently?
    How do you measure your food?
    How long have you been doing this?
    Are you exercising?
    Medical conditions that you are aware of?
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Because you're not really eating less than you are burning. You have to be very accurate honest and consistent with logging everything you eat and drink.
  • SimoneNinan
    SimoneNinan Posts: 23
    Options
    Question - do you eat less than MFP says to? Is that the deficit boundary? AND - by how much is still healthy??
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit just means that you are eating fewer calories than your body requires to maintain its current weight. That maintenance number is different for everyone due to a variety of factors (gender, age, activity level, height, weight, etc.).

If you stick to your calorie goal and log your food accurately and consistently for 8-12 weeks and haven't lost any weight, then you are not eating at a calorie deficit.

To make sure you're logging your food accurately, you should measure your liquids and weigh all of your solid food with a food scale.
  • SimoneNinan
    Options
    Got it... to reiterate, the calorie goal MyFitnessPal gives me is what I should be aiming for, not under...
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Question - do you eat less than MFP says to? Is that the deficit boundary? AND - by how much is still healthy??

Is this a question to the OP or a question to other posters?

If it's a question to other posters, you should eat the calorie goal that MFP gives you. The calorie goal you're assigned already includes the deficit you need to reach the goals you specifed, so eat to MEET that number every day. :smile:
  • SimoneNinan
    Options
    A question to other posters... :) I don't even know what an OP is. (I'm just that new!) Thank you SO much for the clarification. I promise to be less nerdy in the future.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    A question to other posters... :) I don't even know what an OP is. (I'm just that new!) Thank you SO much for the clarification. I promise to be less nerdy in the future.

OP is Original Post or Original Poster.

ETA -
    You may find this link helpful
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069278-acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6
  • arrowprayer
    arrowprayer Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ok....so there was a misunderstanding some how...
    my metabolic resting rate is around 1500...
    that means my body burns that much calories a day.... this number is without exercice....
    now if i'm eating less then this ...wouldnt that make me at a calorie defecit.
    meaning i should be losing weight
    , which im not
    am i at a calorie defecit....

and to those telling me i'm not counting my calories right, trust me i am.....

i don't really use mfp to log stuff in,
    just for questions i have about diet issues.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    that means my body burns that much calories a day.... this number is without exercice....
    , which im not

You are correct, if you are eating under 1500 and that is your RMR, then you should be at a deficit. Key word is *should*. We cannot say that because we do not know a lot of things, like how long of a time period this is, how accurate your calorie counting is, how active you are, etc. We cannot answer for sure without a lot of information.

How are you tracking your calories?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    , which im not

If you are in fact eating less than 1500 you would be losing weight if that is your BMR.

As for trusting eh...it's not about that it's about seeing is believing. ie do you use a food scale to weigh solids....
  • arrowprayer
    Options
    , which im not

If you are in fact eating less than 1500 you would be losing weight if that is your BMR.

As for trusting eh...it's not about that it's about seeing is believing. ie do you use a food scale to weigh solids....

yes i use a scale....trust me, i know how many cals i eat and it's less than my BMR
    and don't get me started on my exercise...but hypothetically even if i wasn't exercising...according to this defecit talk...i should be losing...
    i don't know why i'm not.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    'Trust me' - you are NOT eating less than your BMR if you are not losing weight over the long term.

Afraid this is pretty basic physics.

It's like suggesting you are pouring out a half pint from a glass everyday and topping it up with a quarter pint, but the glass never empties.

In reality, either less is being poured our of the glass than thought, or more put in.

Did you just work your BMR out from a calculator online?

Online calculators would suggest I should be gaining a chunk of weight on 3000 calories a day, when in reality I was still JUST losing.

If your diary was open, it would offer more fo an insight for people to help.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing then you are not in a calorie deficit, therefore calories in are equal or greater than calories out.

I am guessing from your posts that you are eating less than 1500 calories and exercising as well so to me it is the result of one of the following:

1. Your measure of calories consumed is off, if you are weighing everything on a food scale then are your data sources for those calories correct and are you using the correct food state data (using cooked data for uncooked weights of rice for example makes a huge difference)

2, Overestimating calories burnt with exercise doesn't seem to apply in this case

3. You have a medical condition that changes the calories out part of the equation.

Normally 1, 2 or a combination of both are the issue but if you are 100% sure that this is not the case then consult your doctor about 3
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    , which im not

yes i use a scale....trust me, i know how many cals i eat and it's less than my BMR
    and don't get me started on my exercise...but hypothetically even if i wasn't exercising...according to this defecit talk...i should be losing...
    i don't know why i'm not.

Deficit = weight loss. It's not going to be linear. Some weeks you lose nothing then the next week you lose more than expected*. But the downward trend is weight loss....IF you are at a deficit.

If you are not at a deficit it's because A. your TDEE/RMR/BRM (whatever) is an estimate, it may be an incorrect estimate.......or B you are eating more than you think.

*High sodium, strength training, time of the month.....these issues can make you hold water weight. This messes with the scale.
  • SimoneNinan
    Options
    Honestly, I'm right with the OP. It's why I've officially joined MFP and started to really dial in my activities. Ive spent 5 months with limited carbs (if any), small amounts of dairy, limited sugar to only natural sugars and just a few at best, plus completing the C25K plus some strength training and I actually add weight! Years back I was a strong athlete and now I cannot seem to boost that metabolism. Ugh.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm right with the OP. It's why I've officially joined MFP and started to really dial in my activities. Ive spent 5 months with limited carbs (if any), small amounts of dairy, limited sugar to only natural sugars and just a few at best, plus completing the C25K plus some strength training and I actually add weight! Years back I was a strong athlete and now I cannot seem to boost that metabolism. Ugh.

Weigh and track all of your food and drink

cutting carbs, restricting to natural sugars and limiting your dairy does not mean you will lose weight if you eat too much of everything else
  • arrowprayer
    Options
    If you are not losing then you are not in a calorie deficit, therefore calories in are equal or greater than calories out.

I am guessing from your posts that you are eating less than 1500 calories and exercising as well so to me it is the result of one of the following:

1. Your measure of calories consumed is off, if you are weighing everything on a food scale then are your data sources for those calories correct and are you using the correct food state data (using cooked data for uncooked weights of rice for example makes a huge difference)

2, Overestimating calories burnt with exercise doesn't seem to apply in this case

3. You have a medical condition that changes the calories out part of the equation.

Normally 1, 2 or a combination of both are the issue but if you are 100% sure that this is not the case then consult your doctor about 3

i'm on antipsychotics. maybe that's why, i'll talk to my doctor
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i'm on antipsychotics. maybe that's why, i'll talk to my doctor
    Weight-gain (or difficulty losing) with anti-psychotics is very commonplace.

FYI, the diabetes drug 'Metformin' has been shown in multiple studies now to help with the metabolic effects of antipsychotic medication.

It also happens to be one of the drugs that's available in an incredibly inexpensive generic.

I'd suggest talking to your doctor about adding it - it may make some difference in weight loss.
  • smjpk03lk
    Options
    bajoyba wrote: »
    Eating at a calorie deficit just means that you are eating fewer calories than your body requires to maintain its current weight. That maintenance number is different for everyone due to a variety of factors (gender, age, activity level, height, weight, etc.).

If you stick to your calorie goal and log your food accurately and consistently for 8-12 weeks and haven't lost any weight, then you are not eating at a calorie deficit.

To make sure you're logging your food accurately, you should measure your liquids and weigh all of your solid food with a food scale.

I have never understood (despite asking again and again) the meaning of this and now I think I do!! thank you!! :)

I thought... in order to be eating at a calorie deficit you had to be exercising more calories than eaten.. i.e eating my allowance of 1340 therefore I have to be exercising 1341 + to have 'deficit'