Curious about Intermittent fasting?

Options
Tell me about the good, the bad and the ugly

Thanks guys :)

Replies

• itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I turn into a roayal A-hole after about 8 hours!
    not for me

I have learned to appreciate feeling empty though. Just not for too long.
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    I turn into a roayal A-hole after about 8 hours!
    not for me

I have learned to appreciate feeling empty though. Just not for too long.

Good to know! I can get quite hangry sometimes as well. I wonder if you just get used to it after awhile?

Thanks for the response :)
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to? Is it for a spiritual reason? For weight loss? Or just to do it?

I tried it with a group of people as a challenge and I tried several times, but it was just icky feeling.
    But, we had peeps that felt more energy, there were some people that could go 3 days

I think it's an individual thing really
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it and like it.
    Has helped me get my appetite under control, so been able to get a lot more defined.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My sister's boyfriend does it. He started with 12 hours, then 8 and is now down to 6. He lost quite a bit of weight and is into serious lifting. Because of his work schedule I think he is able to pull it off. I don't think I am able to do it since I have long days
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    For documentary that pretty much started the latest buzz, go to this link...

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/110651/BBC_Horizon_2012_Eat_Fast_and_Live_Longer/

No question it's great for men.

But women should consider the info at this link before deciding whether it's for them or not...

http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

I do fast each week from late Sunday afternoon to Tuesday morning, and never had a problem w/it. So I was very excited to try IF, but after reading the very detailed article about women's results, I just keep it to 1 day/week. Most IF is not truly fasting, but just very low cal. When I fast, I do have a little slightly sweet tea and skim milk, mostly because I have migraines and if all I'm drinking is water, then I tend to get one.

ADDED NOTE: It's great for some for getting an appetite under control. Only bad thing I notice is I can have trouble sleeping the night after I've been fasting all day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

There are 5:2 groups here on MFP....http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting

The good:

Plenty of people have success with this (not tried it myself). Plenty of people follow a "true" 5:2 plan. A true 5:2 plan is not a quick weight loss scheme.....just a different method of calorie shifting.

The ugly
    ......plenty of other people will tell you they do 5:2 when in fact they have created their own quick weight loss scheme. They take the fast days.....and incorporate them with a low calorie diet.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    I never realized I was doing it until someone pointed it out. I usually skip breakfast and have a very low cal, high protein lunch (usually a quest bar or a kind bar or something). I have a somewhat large, early dinner and one or two snacks into the evening. So, if you count sleeping, I'm on a 12 hr cycle. It works for me and it helps control my appetite. That being said, if I'm wildly hungry - I eat. I don't stick to it as a hard rule.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I love it. I don;t do 5:2 or anything formal, just about once a week, I pick a day and don't eat. 12-14 hours into the fast, I have more energy, more mental clarity, and more stamina. Nearly every personal best I have ever hit (Lifting or running) has been while fasted.
  • _mlee_
    Options
    Interesting! Thanks for all the great info :). I'm really just curious about it at the moment. I am not sure if it is for me but just looking for information. I would rather ask people who may have experience with IF rather than google it. Hopefully by hearing real experiences it will give me a better understanding. I have seen it posted numerous times and a few people on my list follow this plan so I would really like to learn more.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I've been doing daily IF for 6 months. Basically I don't eat until lunch. Only coffee, water, tea in the morning.

It makes things easier. I only have to think about 2 meals instead of 3. However, I do eat high protein, high fat, low carb (around 100 grams / day). Eating that way makes me feel fuller.

I don't feel hunger pains ever except for the hour before lunch. Initially, it took about two weeks to get in the groove.
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been following IF for about 5 months solid now, and then last summer as well.

I follow a 16 hour fast with 8 hour feeding every day. The first week was strange to say the least, but quickly you discover that pain in your stomach isn't really hunger. just make sure you drink a lot of water during your awake-hours fast and that helps keep your mind off food.

After about a week you won't even feel hungry in the mornings anymore. but also keep in mind women should go only as long as 14 hour fast / 10 hour feed.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    There's two forms that people are talking about. One form of IF is usually listed as 16/8 or 20/4 and you have a small eating "window" each day and only eat during that time and "fast" during the rest of the day. For women, I've seen it recommended that you not fast for more than 16 hours. I do this generally (more in the 15 hour fast range) and don't eat until noon or later most days and am done eating by about 8-10 depending on my day.

The other form of IF is usually 5:2. With this form of IF, you have two "fast" days and 5 feast days. On your fast days you eat about 1/4 of your maintenance calories for the day. On the feast days, you eat at maintenance.

I've done both (am doing both currently). I like the 16/8 because it helped me get my binging under control and I am just generally more satisfied eating 2 big meals a day + having room for treats and snacks when I want them. It works well with my lifestyle because my DH cooks dinner half the time and he doesn't always cook low calorie foods (neither do I for that matter). I'm not sure on the 5:2 yet. I'm only on my second week. I like it well enough, but I'm not sure the benefit is there for me to continue doing it at this time. I'm going to try it for a month and see how it goes.
  • ToreaKorea
    ToreaKorea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently started IF about 4 months ago and I love it. It's basically shifting your eating time, simply put. Personally, instead of eating "breakfast" in the morning, I 'break-my-fast' at 12:30pm and my eating window lasts for 8 hours. The first few days, yes, you will be hungry while your body adjusts to things. Instead of your body dictating to you when to put something in your mouth, you tell it. I like the control it has given me. And, yes, I have seen results. My weight is dropping off, but also in part the other component of IF and that is counting your macros. IF just gives me a way to control. Many people think they can't survive without eating for this long - but really, most of it is spent during sleep, the other few hours, just make yourself busy. (women are also advised to not fast for 16 hours but for 14 hours. Me, I've done 20 hours fasting, 16 and 14 hours... just depends on your body).
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Absolutely love it.
    6 weeks and 26 lbs.
    I do 24 hour cycles and not a calender day so even on fast days I am having a good meal.

Starteed on 5:2 but wen tto 4:3 to speed things up and to make it easier.

Questions you can friend and send me questions.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
  • _mlee_
    Options

Absolutely love it.
    6 weeks and 26 lbs.
    I do 24 hour cycles and not a calender day so even on fast days I am having a good meal.

Starteed on 5:2 but wen tto 4:3 to speed things up and to make it easier.

Questions you can friend and send me questions.

You're already on my list :D
  • _mlee_
    Options
    Wow, after reading all your comments I realized that this is actually how I used to eat until about 2 years ago when I kept hearing you NEED to eat breakfast to "kick start" your metabolism so I forced myself to start eating breakfast and now it is just habit. I would not eat until lunch (around 12-12:30pm) and would stop eating around 8:00pm.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options

I can only tell u the good... Ok, maybe a little of the ugly...

The Good:
    Helped me increase my water intake (drink loads now on fast and non fast days)
    Defo helped me shift the last of the weight i had to lose
    My mood has improved greatly (i was a happy bunny any way but am somehow even happier) :smile:
    If you plan well u can still have some lovely foods, i think it encourages healthier choices as cals are restricted on fast days, i have found this has rolled over to non fast days, today i was deciding between having a jacket potato with dinner or a Reese's Nutrageous, i'm choosing the potato!
    I am awake and alert, naturally wake earlier these days
    The other health benefits - obviously i don't know whether they are taking effect but the idea of potentially reducing risks of some cancers, diabetes and Alzheimer's/Dementia has got to be good (if this turns out to be true, research is still happening)
    I promise it does get easier after week 2

The bad:
    I really cant think of any, apart from personally i cant workout hard when i'm fasting but i will just use them as rest days

The ugly:
    When ur inconsiderate boyfriends eats a delicious chill meal with all the extras in front of u during a fast day and then gets out a Reese's Nutrageous which u cannot eat on that day. Oh boy, that turned ugly!!

I have been doing the 5:2 but as i'm now at goal i do the 6:1. I would highly recommend the 5:2, i would say to make sure u watch the documentary Eat Fast, Live Longer to get the full low down of other health benefits as well as weight loss.

By the way, judging by ur profile pic u dont look like u need to lose weight at all!!
  • _mlee_
    Options

I can only tell u the good... Ok, maybe a little of the ugly...

The Good:
    Helped me increase my water intake (drink loads now on fast and non fast days)
    Defo helped me shift the last of the weight i had to lose
    My mood has improved greatly (i was a happy bunny any way but am somehow even happier) :smile:
    If you plan well u can still have some lovely foods, i think it encourages healthier choices as cals are restricted on fast days, i have found this has rolled over to non fast days, today i was deciding between having a jacket potato with dinner or a Reese's Nutrageous, i'm choosing the potato!
    I am awake and alert, naturally wake earlier these days
    The other health benefits - obviously i don't know whether they are taking effect but the idea of potentially reducing risks of some cancers, diabetes and Alzheimer's/Dementia has got to be good (if this turns out to be true, research is still happening)
    I promise it does get easier after week 2

The bad:
    I really cant think of any, apart from personally i cant workout hard when i'm fasting but i will just use them as rest days

The ugly:
    When ur inconsiderate boyfriends eats a delicious chill meal with all the extras in front of u during a fast day and then gets out a Reese's Nutrageous which u cannot eat on that day. Oh boy, that turned ugly!!

I have been doing the 5:2 but as i'm now at goal i do the 6:1. I would highly recommend the 5:2, i would say to make sure u watch the documentary Eat Fast, Live Longer to get the full low down of other health benefits as well as weight loss.

By the way, judging by ur profile pic u dont look like u need to lose weight at all!!

Wow that is ugly ;) lol

Thanks for the info, I will have to look up that documentary.

That pic was taken about a year and a half ago. I like to look at what I would like to get back to! I actually don't have a lot of weight to lose (about 10 pounds) but I DO have fat to lose (specifically in the belly and legs/thighs) and looking at different ways to achieve my goal (in a healthy way) :) thanks everyone for the posts.