So frustrated! Does anyone have this problem??

Options
I'm so sorry, but I just have to vent! But, first here is my brief back story:

I'm a 42 year old female that has always wrestled with my weight. I'm 5'4", pear-shaped and currently I'm at 284 lbs. 2 years ago I was 260 but in the spring of 2012 became pregnant. I tried to be very careful throughout my pregnancy and only gained 26 lbs. After the birth I breastfed and the 26 lbs. was gone within 6 weeks, without me trying. Then, for whatever reason my body stopped producing the milk so I was unable to breastfeed. The weight slowly crept back on. Now, here I am, wrestling with this weight. I have a desk job, but I've been going to the gym 3X per week doing treadmill, bike, and strength training for the last several months. Other than feeling better, which is a good thing, I haven't dropped any weight. I've used a weight loss calculator and it says that to maintain my weight I need 3086 calories (which sounds absolutely ridiculous) and to lose weight I need about 2200 calories. Using MFP I'm taking in about 1800-2000 calories per day and for the last 2 weeks I've been going to the gym 5 days per week doing treadmill or bike for at least 40-45 minutes every day. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG AND WHY IS THIS NOT WORKING???? Sometimes I read success stories where people say they've cut out sodas (which I don't drink, I only drink water) and they exercise 3X per week and VOILA! They've lost 50 lbs. Please don't think I begrudge anyone's success, because it pleases me every time I read someone's success, but I just don't know what's wrong with me!!!!

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You arent eating at a calorie deficit. There is no other logical explanation.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The people who cut soda and lose weight did so by creating a calorie deficit. You need to do the same. First, I think your daily energy needs are overstated - where did you get 3000+ from? I used the Mifflin St Jeor calculator and came up with just under 2400 at sedentary. Using Katch-Mcardle and an estimated body fat % of 50 and your daily needs would drop to just over 2000. I see that you said you go to the gym about 3xs per week, but I wouldn't count that as "active" or even lightly active. How much activity do you get in your daily life outside of going to the gym?

Set your MFP goal to sedentary and to lose 1 pound per week. Record your exercise when you do it and eat some of those calories if you need to. Make sure you ACCURATELY track everything you consume. This can best be done by weighing everything you eat and making sure you choose the correct entry in the database. If you don't have a food scale, now would be the time to get one to make sure that you are being accurate in your logging. Keeping an accurate log is really going to be the only way you can know if you really can't lose weight or not.
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Would you mind opening your food diary so we can take a look?
  • sonyatab
    sonyatab Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've opened my food diary so you can look at it. Thanks so much!!!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    1. to make sure you are eating the correct portions, you should really measure and weigh your food. Most servings are a lot smaller than people think. You may want to consider seeing a nutritionist or a dietian and have them evaluate your diet and see where you can improve.

2. I put your stats into Scooby Workshop calculator, to lose 25%, you should eat just under 2000 calories, this is for a desk job.

3. its only been 2 weeks. If I freaked out when my weightloss didn't go quickly as I wanted, I never would have lost all the weight I did.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at the past few days of your diary and would suggest weighing as well. Meats and cheeses aren't easily measured by the slice because different deli employees slice differently. Same for the spaghetti dinners (a meal that still stumps me every time I try to add it to my diary!). Try weighing rather than eyeballing a cup.

Maybe watch the sodium as well? You could be covering up losses with water retention.

Other than that I think you are making good choices and just need to employ the hardest technique of all...patience. :)
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If your diary is accurate then everything looks fine. I'd take another look at my calories needs though. Just make sure you are logging EVERYTHING and if you don't have one, I strongly recommend a food scale. Other than that, it's only been two weeks. Keep going!!!!
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Since she has a baby, though, I would say "lightly active" -- you ever taken care of one of those things? EXHAUSTING.
  • sonyatab
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I will look into getting a food scale and try that and see what happens. Maybe I'm underestimating what I eat...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I will look into getting a food scale and try that and see what happens. Maybe I'm underestimating what I eat...

without a food scale yes

and I noticed you missed the entire weekend last weekend...

Logging accurately means you are weighing solids, measuring liquids and choosing the correct entries.

do not use entries that start with generic...

If the entries starting with homemade are yours great otherwise don't use them.

Make sure the confirmations are more than a couple on the nutrional values...

Check the nutritional values just don't assume they are correct...there are lots of entries that are not here in the database.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately&page=3#posts-19337078
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It's time to see a doctor. It could be a hormone issue.
  • sonyatab
    Options
    I've had my thyroid checked several times and thankfully, it's always normal. Could it be that I'm just not moving my body enough? I sit all day, but I go to the gym and cardio for about 30 minutes 5 days per week. Maybe I'm not getting enough water? At a loss.....
  • Notenispal
    Notenispal Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I had to lol at this...too funny but TRUE! I have a toddler who is close to walking/running! ;-)
  • savannahrayelee
    Options
    I recommend getting a scale and measuring your food, sounds like for whatever reason your not getting a deficit.
  • onmyweightohappiness
    onmyweightohappiness Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Agree with food scale and weighing your foods. Also I didn't look very far into your diary maybe a week but your sodium on some days are thru the roof. Sodium plays a factor. My body doesn't take sodium well, Ive realized I do better below 1500 mg a day. If I do 2000 mg a day for a week I gain a pound or two and bloat.
    Water aim for 100 oz a day. I cut out sodas and maybe have a diet coke once a week now.
    I feel for your struggle. 4 years ago I was 280 lbs at 5'3. Today Im 144 lbs, maintaining this weight for 2 1/2 years. Ive had to tweak a ton to figure out where my body is content when its in losing phase or maintaining.
  • Sporttster
    Sporttster Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You really need to make sure the things you are eating have the right caloric settings. I've noticed on here that there are many items not logged correctly. If I see it, I'll correct it, but make sure you go off the label of the item. Don't just take it for what it says, make sure it's correct. Then you can go back to it the next time you eat it by using the recent category in your foods. That and like others said, weigh the foods. And be truthful about what you're eating and how much. I usually try to overestimate my intake rather than underestimate to give myself some wiggle room. Two weeks isn't long enough, either, Give it some time! When my wife and I diet, I always lose quick and she hates it, but over time hers starts coming off, too, and we both lose weight, but hers is always slower to come off. So be patient!
  • sonyatab
    Options
    Thanks so much! I'll try to take more notice of my sodium intake. I work away from home and sometimes fall into the trap of fast food. Even if I fall within my calorie range I guess the sodium is really too much! Maybe that's part of my problem. I'm telling you, I don't mean to sound "whiny", but I feel sometimes like I'm exercising, trying to eat right but don't see much difference. Although, I do feel much better. I'm about to the point of cutting out most carbs and just eating protein, fruits and vegetables. The only problem is that I love carbs! I'm not so much of a "sweets" person, but I love my pasta/rice or chips & dip.:grumble:
  • onmyweightohappiness
    onmyweightohappiness Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cut out carbs, in fact I urge you not too. Yes focus more on protein is good but don't cut carbs. Eat good carbs not bad carbs, focus on that. Over time I have changed to whole wheat bread, pasta etc. It took awhile to adjust to the taste but now I love it and in fact hate white bread or white pastas.
    Eating out....... is there a way for you to pack your own lunches, breakfast or snacks? I do it daily granted I work in an office setting but I do no matter what to avoid all that temptation, Eating out even at a healthy place isn't all that healthy, they might advertise its healthy but 9 times out of 10 if you look at the sodium content it will amaze you. I use to think getting a salad at a restaurant was a healthy choice, um not so much, even if you don't have salad dressing its still loaded. I guess myself personally I prefer to prepare all my meals myself, I know what goes in them, the salt content etc, I preplan my meals on Sundays for the entire week. I prepare my breakfast & lunches & snacks for the week so they are all ready to grab every single day, I menu plan on our dinners weeks in advance so every night you can look at the calendar and know what we are having. Easier for grocery shopping as well. I avoid all trigger foods in my house. For myself to lose 135 lbs and maintain that I have realized planning, prepping, weighing, tracking is key to my success. I probably could stop weighing and tracking cuz I am confident in my choices and portions but it gives me rest of my mind to watch my daily intake plus if I gain I can figure out why. My body is super sensitive to sodium intakes and also fiber. Carbs my body could care less how much I take in. Calories and protein as well. 4 years and finally figuring this out, its a process to learn your body. Just pick better carbs. For myself fruit & veggies I eat as much as I want even if it puts my carbs over limit I know they are good carbs so no guilt in it. Myself I focus on protein & veggies on my lunch & dinners, I do usually make rice or some type of potato for the side but I give myself a small portion and I eat it last if I am still hungry. Pasta I make once a week in my house if that. Trust me watching your carbs at first is hard cuz your in a carb coma or drunk as I call it, so your detoxing and your body craves it and freaks out, it passes and trust me once you start putting healthy carbs in your body and do put some bad carbs in your body you will notice the difference big time!
  • troweler1
    troweler1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! Just to let you know that it took a month for me to drop any weight after I started working out. I guess I was building muscle. Then, suddenly it all fell off. Don't lose heart. It will happen x
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You have a really lovely smile. :)

I agree with everyone else on the weighing. I got a cheap scale from Amazon for $15 - works great. It also teaches you what real portions look like.

Also, how are your clothes fitting? Any better? Sometimes the scale won't move, but you're losing inches - and that's absolutely progress.

I choose not to eat the calories I earn from exercise back. So if I earn 300 calories for my cardio, I don't eat an extra 300 calories for the day. This is a totally personal choice though.

This weight loss stuff can be so hard, but you can totally do it!!