plantains?

Options
gymkoala
gymkoala Posts: 76
please someone some recipes for plantains, how to coock them, not fried and not with grains, i experimented with the yellow ones just on the pan and they were pretty good, but the green ones turned out nasty! do you have some good recipes??

Replies

• StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    In for recipes, the only thing I ever make with them are tostones (fried).
  • baddison68
    baddison68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    we usually boil the green bananas, and green plantains, in water and a bit of salt, until the skins burst. Then, instead of rice or potatoes, we use our plantains, and bananas. Slice them longways, or slice then circular - Its really great with curried or stewed beef or chicken. It serves as our starch on the plate, and goes absolutely fabulous with gravy! mmm......
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    pinon, delicious! I've made various versions of this before, and if you cook the plantain ahead of time, you can layer the ingredeints in a crock pot in the morning and have a delicious dinner a few hours later! :)

http://www.mamiofmultiples.com/2010/10/02/easy-recipe-pinon-beef-and-plantain/

Also, mashed plantain: cook plantains like boiling potatoes, mash, add coconut milk or milk or butter or oil and seasoning, delicious!
  • gymkoala
    gymkoala Posts: 76
    Options
    great !!
    i'm gonna try to boil them whole and eat them with beef

and wow i'm gonna try pinon as well, it seems like a mix of parmigiana or lasagna like in my country or moussaka, never heard of that definitely going to try it

so for the green ones is better to cook them with water right ?

thank you so much!!
  • baddison68
    baddison68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yup! Boil them in plain water, with a little salt. Just boil the mess outta them!! LOL!.. The plantains skins may turn dark as they cook - that's fine. As the skins burst, the exposed inner plantain may start to turn dark too because of the water. No problem. Just boil away. You want your green plantain to be as soft as possible. Like one poster said, you can even mash them once they're really soft and use as mashed potataoes... :-) I love green plantains. We're from Trinidad, so I know this food like second nature. Green plantains, yams, and saltfish....Staples in our country!!!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    For ripe plaintains-
    Hot steel pan with about tsp of real butter. When almost done, add a dash of cinnamon and a little brown sugar.
    This is also good with regular bananas. Takes a boring banana and makes it decadent!
    Skinny taste has a plaintains chip made in the oven that looks delicious, too. I love fried plaintains chips so I'm sure baked would be great.
  • newlife6745
    newlife6745 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask. I made some today. I prefer them ripe (really ripe) because then they are sweeter. I boil them in a little water with a dash of salt. When cooked and drained I like to add a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg and use them as a side with any kind of meat. Enjoy!!
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Try Making Mofongo. its a Puerto-rican dish.
    they generally fried but a woman i work with boils the plaintaines and then smashes them with fresh garlic.. its so friggin good.
    google mofongo they make it a bunch of different ways.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Mofongo (Puerto Rico) = Fried and then mashed with garlic. Mangu (Dominican Republic) - boiled and then mashed with garlic. You can also add it to soups instead of potatoes. Fried (mofongo, tostones, arañitas, etc...) is the easiest and most delicious way to prepare green plantains but boiled (just like a potato) is ok too. The problem is that green plantain is very bland and you will need to add spices, sauces, or a "fat" (oil or butter) to bring out the flavor. Now, ripe plantains is a completely different story. You can place them in the oven with the peel and just bake them. Open them long ways (just like a baked potato) and add butter, cheese, guava paste, or just eat them plain.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I made plantain chips once. There are a million recipes online for slicing and baking them. They give you brutal gas though. Never again.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Puerto Rican Dish:
    RECIPE IS FROM SPARKPEOPLE.COM

Super yummy!!

Escabeche de guineos y mollejas
    4.9 of 5 (8)

Ingredients
    5 lb green bananas
    2 lb chicken gizzards or chicken breasts cut to chunks
    2 large spanish onions
    1 head of garlic
    1/2 pound black olives
    1/2 cup olive oil and vinegar salad dressing
    salt (to taste)
    pepper (to taste)

Directions
    Boil the bananas in salt water until cooked, about 20 minutes. Boil the chicken gizzards in salt water, add 1 chicken boullion, onion powder, and garlic powder (1 spoon of each), until chicken is very tender, about 2 hours. Drain the chicken gizzards and cut into small pieces. Cut onions into thin slices. Take garlic and puree in food chopper or blender add oil and vinegar salad dressing, salt and pepper to taste. Cut bananas into 1/2 inch pieces (straight circles). Add bananas, chicken gizzards, garlic,olives, onions and olive oil, mix well. Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 325F. Remove and serve warm, this dish can be served with rice, meat, pasteles or alone.

Number of Servings: 10

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user NYTESHAYDE.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    ripe plantains, boil them with a bit of sugar, a pinch of salt and a twig of cinnamon.
    eating them with ricotta is heavenly.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Try Making Mofongo. its a Puerto-rican dish.
    they generally fried but a woman i work with boils the plaintaines and then smashes them with fresh garlic.. its so friggin good.
    google mofongo they make it a bunch of different ways.

mofongo is where it's at with plaintains!

i like to roast them in the oven with garlic cloves, rather than boil or fry them. i mash mine with just a bit of sea salt but my family likes bits of bacon mashed in. We love it most when topped in a spicy roasted tomato sauce and prawns.
  • gamagem
    gamagem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I buy super ripe ones, cut them in half then third them horizontally. I will the lay them out on cookie sheet sprayed with pam. Next i spray the tops with pam. Put them in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, take them out, flip, spray the tops, put back in for 10 minutes. We eat them with Roja and brown rice.
  • twhitney
    twhitney Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    We just grilled them with some olive oil and cayenne pepper. Pretty good.
  • Ashaxt
    Ashaxt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi

I eat mine grilled. just season with salt and cinnamon and throw it in the oven.