Not eating enough calories?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I feel like I eat a lot! I eat two eggs in the AM

when did 2 eggs become 'a lot'?! really!?

heh- 2. lol

well spank my *kitten* and call me sally

this was dinner... for me. 5 large farm eggs.
    20140513_231908_zpsf1d66f15.jpg
  • tonimarie28
    Options
    correct. I dont wait until I'm starving, otherwise i will eat anything and everything. I just listen to what my body tells me. If i start thinking about what sounds good, i know i'm hungry. so i eat. and i eat slow and watch portions. I think my whole issue comes from not exercising a ton. If it did, i'm almost certain i'd be eating 1200 calories. It's just i dont move a lot while at work and when i get home i'm too exhausted-except i do walk when i can. I just think when you dont move a lot, you may not necessarily hit your calorie goal everyday.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    How did you end up in a position to need to lose weight if you are having trouble eating over 900 calories? Same question for the person above me

LOL... I'm wondering the same. I'm amazed at the mentality of starving yourself to lose weight.

+1

I'm in the same position and posted for help elsewhere.

It's incredibly short sighted to think that a person must be starving themselves if they can't meet their calorie goals, and that the reason they are overweight is because they shoved their faces full every day.

My weight gain was a direct side effect of three things: Severe Depression. Moderate to Severe Anxiety. Severe Sleep Deprivation. For six years. I never fully recovered my body or weight (or my mind) after having my kids because of the above things.

Now I'm under medical care for both of the above and I'm losing weight. I have very little appetite but I'm trying very, very hard to meet my calories. Some of the medication impacts my appetite and some of it is mental - in that I'm FINALLY focusing on myself and making my health a priority. I've changed the WAY I eat, and I stay fuller, longer.

So the assumptions? Unnecessary if you're genuinely trying to help someone.

OP - try to get some fun snacks to have on hand at all times. I have cucumbers, cheese, tomatoes, carrots, hard boiled eggs, watermelon, apples, grapes, strawberries, pirate's booty (yum) and Special K protein bars (double yum). I take time every Sunday to chop/peel/cook things I like to munch on. Even if I'm not super hungry, I try to grab a handful of something to keep by my side.

I also use Whey Protein Powder for a shake (I use chocolate flavored powder, iced coffee and kale - so yum).

Good luck. You're not alone.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Hunger definitely isn't the best way to decide when and when not to eat. I eat all the time when I am NOT hungry and that's how I got fat!

Just eat some of what you used to eat that caused you to gain weight, just less of it.

Add some protein in to your lunch. I'd be passing out at just veggies for lunch. You can either add snacks (if you don't have a massive appretite) or eat more substantial meals. I love to eat all day long so try and save plenty of calories for snacks.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    correct. I dont wait until I'm starving, otherwise i will eat anything and everything. I just listen to what my body tells me. If i start thinking about what sounds good, i know i'm hungry. so i eat. and i eat slow and watch portions. I think my whole issue comes from not exercising a ton. If it did, i'm almost certain i'd be eating 1200 calories. It's just i dont move a lot while at work and when i get home i'm too exhausted-except i do walk when i can. I just think when you dont move a lot, you may not necessarily hit your calorie goal everyday.

Sorry- not sorry, but you are wrong.

You absolutely must hit your "I didn't work out today but I still need to eat" calorie goal.

even on my off days I eat 1700 calories- and I"m LOSING weight.
    When I'm gaining- I still must eat my bare minimum BULKING calorie goal.

Dem's the rules.
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hunger is not an adequate way to figure out if you should be eating or not.
    I've read that once you feel hungry you are too late in eating. You should be eating before you feel hungry. From what I've read if you feel true hunger then you are already heading towards starvation.
    Eh, I don't know about that. That sounds like a recipe for disaster for someone who doesn't know the difference between hunger and appetite.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    How did you end up in a position to need to lose weight if you are having trouble eating over 900 calories? Same question for the person above me

LOL... I'm wondering the same. I'm amazed at the mentality of starving yourself to lose weight.

+1

It's incredibly short sighted to think that a person must be starving themselves if they can't meet their calorie goals, and that the reason they are overweight is because they shoved their faces full every day.

My weight gain was a direct side effect of three things: Severe Depression. Moderate to Severe Anxiety. Severe Sleep Deprivation. For six years. I never fully recovered my body or weight (or my mind) after having my kids because of the above things.

Now I'm under medical care for both of the above and I'm losing weight. I have very little appetite but I'm trying very, very hard to meet my calories. Some of the medication impacts my appetite and some of it is mental - in that I'm FINALLY focusing on myself and making my health a priority. I've changed the WAY I eat, and I stay fuller, longer.

OP - try to get some fun snacks to have on hand at all times. I have cucumbers, cheese, tomatoes, carrots, hard boiled eggs, watermelon, apples, grapes, strawberries, pirate's booty (yum) and Special K protein bars (double yum). I take time every Sunday to chop/peel/cook things I like to munch on. Even if I'm not super hungry, I try to grab a handful of something to keep by my side.

I also use Whey Protein Powder for a shake (I use chocolate flavored powder, iced coffee and kale - so yum).

It's extremely idiotic to come on MFP forums asking for advice from random people when one has / or might have medical issues.

If someone can't meet at least 1000 calories, they are purposely starving themselves.... period. There's no way in HELL you can not meet 1k calories without purposely NOT trying. And I don't believe that ****, "I'm just not hungry". If you wake up at 8am and go to bed at 11 pm.... there's more than ample room to fit in 1k calories.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I feel like I eat a lot! I eat two eggs in the AM

when did 2 eggs become 'a lot'?! really!?

For real. I'd call that about half of a snack.

Here, here! Between my husband, my two 6 year old boys and myself we eat over a dozen eggs in the morning for breakfast! I buy eggs by the 6 dozen weekly! I get so tired of all these I can't eat enough calories posts. Seriously my average meals are 500-600 calories each.:noway:
  • jld0411
    jld0411 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need more balance. Every meal should consist of a lean protein, quality carbs and healthy fat. Add some chicken or salmon and an olive oil vinegrette to your lunch vegetables. Add a fruit to your breakfast. Sounds like you're already eating what I call mini meals, so if that's all you're eating in a sitting consider eating more often. I eat 5-6 mini meals per day.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

You're likely exhausted due to not eating enough. I have a high stress desk job and if I don't eat properly I feel exhausted. taking a walk/run or lifting always helps with an energy boost, as does eating something good for me. :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    [/quote]

It's extremely idiotic to come on MFP forums asking for advice from random people when one has / or might have medical issues.

If someone can't meet at least 1000 calories, they are purposely starving themselves.... period. There's no way in HELL you can not meet 1k calories without purposely NOT trying. And I don't believe that ****, "I'm just not hungry". If you wake up at 8am and go to bed at 11 pm.... there's more than ample room to fit in 1k calories.
    [/quote]

Wait........so I'm an idiot for reaching out to people for help ON a fitness site? Mind=blown!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Hunger is not an adequate way to figure out if you should be eating or not.
    I've read that once you feel hungry you are too late in eating. You should be eating before you feel hungry. From what I've read if you feel true hunger then you are already heading towards starvation.
    Eh, I don't know about that. That sounds like a recipe for disaster for someone who doesn't know the difference between hunger and appetite.

Just something I read somewhere that seems to make sense. I didn't research it or anything. But eating before I feel hungry does help me control what I eat easier. So there is some merit to it.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Wait........so I'm an idiot for reaching out to people for help ON a fitness site? Mind=blown!

no- that comment wasn't directed specifcally at you.

This comment stemmed from someone else's comment saying it wasn't smart to make assumptions they may have outside issues.

The thing is people come on here- and say "I am having a hard time with X and Y"
    and then we give them the best advice with the information we have- three pages later it comes out- well i"m seeing a doctor for this issue as well and I don't work out and or I'm this or that.

Medical conditions and things like that are doctor related and if you ARE reaching out to a internet board- and want valid useful advice- giving a clear and concise/honest picture of what's going on is going to get you the best help.

People often want to cherry pick details to get an answer they want to hear.

It'snot about you specifically.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

+1

It's not being short sided or making assumptions. Many of the people who say they have trouble getting to 1000 or 1200 calories suddenly don't ever feel hungry which seems to go hand in hand with wanting to lose weight. Many of those individuals don't have medical conditions you speak of. Another issue is people want to go and start eating "100% clean" and eliminate high calorie foods because they have a misconception that they are unhealthy.

So before you assume we are making assumptions take some time to read the tons of posts that pop up like that and you'll understand why the advice that is given, is given. And yes we are trying to help. Helping doesn't always mean just telling someone what they want to hear. That's called validation not help.

And I'm sure lots of people ARE starving themselves on purpose and it's frustrating for long timers. But when someone asks "how'd you get so fat in the first place" when you're trying really hard to do what you're supposed to - well it sucks. Why would someone come on here asking for help upping their intake unless they really wanted the help? What could they possibly "want" to hear? In what ways can you validate them? (No snark intended in any of this post, FYI - I can be a bit of a Pollyanna sometimes).

And you did make an assumption. People do it all the time - it's not an inherently bad thing, it's just a statement.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

no- that comment wasn't directed specifcally at you.

This comment stemmed from someone else's comment saying it wasn't smart to make assumptions they may have outside issues.

The thing is people come on here- and say "I am having a hard time with X and Y"
    and then we give them the best advice with the information we have- three pages later it comes out- well i"m seeing a doctor for this issue as well and I don't work out and or I'm this or that.

Medical conditions and things like that are doctor related and if you ARE reaching out to a internet board- and want valid useful advice- giving a clear and concise/honest picture of what's going on is going to get you the best help.

People often want to cherry pick details to get an answer they want to hear.

It'snot about you specifically.

I am the one who said people shouldn't make assumptions :happy:

I'm just really trying to understand why the answer would be "how did you get so fat to being with" instead of "here are some ideas to increase your intake!". Maybe it's just frustration from the regulars, I dunno.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

People who don't understand say this stuff and they can't understand unless they have been there. You won't change their minds no matter what you post. When I went though this I was told I have an ED, I have an unhealthy relationship with food, i'm lying about what I eat, I'm not going to keep the weight off and that i'm completely unhealthy, despite what I was eating being all good for me foods. I have none of those things and a year and a half later the weight is still gone, still coming off and I'm a lot more toned and fit then I was. So don't let the nay sayers get you down.

If you are trying to eat a healthy amount of calories my advise is to pre-make your food, pre log it, pack it all up and set a timer so you eat something every 2 hours. Doesn't' have to be a big meal, just something. I still have to remind myself to eat sometimes, because of lack of hunger. You have to make the conscious decision to not allow yourself to continue under eating. The risk to your health is not worth it.

There's some people offering good advice on here. My advice is to focus on that, rather then those calling you names or making dumb statements like "well then how did you get fat" It honestly doesn't really matter how. What matter is what you are dealing with now and how to get through it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This isn't true, and it's obviously a common problem for a lot of people when they first start.

What happens is that they were eating tons of calories either by eating when not hungry or eating foods that are extremely calorie dense and not necessarily feeling like they were eating lots and lots of food (volume wise) or feeling stuffed.

So they decide to change their diet and focus on healthier stuff, without having a good sense of how many calories that is. They also (usually) cut carbs dramatically and also cut fat (use spray or non stick pans, don't add butter to anything, go for lean cuts of meat and sometimes egg whites instead of egg, no fat dairy only, etc.). As a result they eat basically veggies and lean meat, but they still have the same idea what a serving size of meat is (4 oz) and sometimes undercount that, since they go by eye or measure it cooked, but that's a different issue.

Three meals of lean meat and veggies (or eggs and veggies) can be perfectly filling, especially when you switch from lots of sweets and carb-heavy stuff that tends to cause wild swings in many people's blood sugar and corresponding ups and downs and feelings of hunger. So people think, hmm, I'm not hungry and am eating volume-wise as much as before, just not the sweets and so on, why should I eat more. It's shocking the difference in calories without a perceived decline in volume or feeling of deprivation.

Obviously the answer is that you are eating too little and that you shouldn't restrict your diet so severely, and I suspect most people will get bored or less satisfied or feel less energetic after a while and naturally stop eating more, but I don't think it's helpful to suggest that people are starving themselves on purpose or lying or should eat like they did when they got fat or all the rest. It really is surprising when you weren't counting calories before. I was eating 800-900 based on my idea of how to eat healthy when dieting before I started logging and was shocked. If someone had asked I would have estimated my intake at about 1500.

Anyway, my advice to the OP is to pre-log so you can see in advance that you will be low--it's hard to fix after dinner if you aren't hungry. Then incorporate additional items in earlier meals or snacks. Carbs are fine, using olive oil is fine, have some almonds or avocado, have whatever else you like and would eat but for the fact you are dieting but which also fit into your day.
  • ksparkby
    ksparkby Posts: 28
    Options
    Wow! everyone is so great!

I'm not TRYING to under eat or anything. I just eat my fill and I guess that's not a lot. My recommended intake is 1200. I eat around 900.

I'm not trying to lose too much weight, mostly just fat, and build muscle. I've gotten soft.