Treadmill vs My Fitnesspal

Options
:wink: Question When I walk on my treadmill it says I am burning way less calories then when I put the minutes in my exercise section on my fitness pal which one should I go by? Please help :happy:

Replies

• Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The lower one. Even that is usually an overestimate.

A machine that tells you that you can burn 2000 cals per hour will sell more than an identical one that says you burn 200 cals per hour.
  • ayshad8
    ayshad8 Posts: 6
    Options
    This is so true..I get mixed up, so I underestimate
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Did you imput your weight into the treadmill?

A good post on this topic
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/exercise-calories-sometimes-the-cardio-machines-are-more-accurate-404739

TLDR - if you are imputting your weight, and not holding on to the handrails, the treadmill number is probably the better way to go.

Personally, I always go with the lowest value.
    Also, are you sure you are choosing the correct speed entry on MFP?
    There was also a glitch recently that I thought was fixed that had incorrect walking entries listed. If it was an old one you used in the past, it could be one of those. I'd search again and double check.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The lower one. Better be safe than over eating.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Just stay consistent if you use the treadmill for all numbers then stay with don't jump back and forth if you find yourself at a stall then I'd make sure I was going with the lower one because it's over estimating too much. Unless you get a heart rate monitor which isn't the greatest thing you'll never know for sure try to leave yourself a cushion each day so this isn't an issue.
  • wendydelong
    wendydelong Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I walked on my Treadmill for 30 mins and I put in 30 mins in the cardo section on myfitness pal it says I burnt 515 calories and my treadmill says 204 calories I don't know how to lower the number unless Iower the minutes walked
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor for a more accurate number. Otherwise, use the lower number. That's what I would do.
  • Starcp76
    Starcp76 Posts: 1
    Options
    The 204 sounds about right going off the calories i burn
  • SKrembs
    SKrembs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Did you put in the proper speed on MyFitnessPal? Generally, I think most people walk at 3 mph, so if you were faster than that, you would feel it. I think 204 sounds right for walking about 3-3.5 mph for 30 minutes too. 515 does not sound right. I burn less than that when I run for 35 minutes!
  • wendydelong
    Options
    I weigh 251lbs and there is no place to inter my weight in my treadmill but myfitness pal has my weight in it would that make the difference?
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I walked on my Treadmill for 30 mins and I put in 30 mins in the cardo section on myfitness pal it says I burnt 515 calories and my treadmill says 204 calories I don't know how to lower the number unless Iower the minutes walked

You can change the calories without changing the minutes. They are independent. Just click in the box, delete the MFP numbers and add what ever the machine told you. Leave the minutes as 30.
  • wendydelong
    Options
    you cant put a speed in only mins walked as far as the treadmill goes maybe I should just put that I walked and the speed and avoid the treadmill all together :)
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Rough estimate - 100 cals per mile. You did not burn 1030 cals/hour - that is crazy off for an estimate.
  • wendydelong
    Options
    Thanks Ely82010 I figured it out thanks I didn't realize I could keep my mins but adjust my calories :) I knew I didn't burn 515 calories haha.... Thanks :) again
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Before getting a heart rate monitor, I always went with the lower one.
  • dianaeatworld
    dianaeatworld Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just walked two miles, tracked by my HRM and burned 199 calories. Go with the lower number on this.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Depends on the machine and the features that you can input or change like speed, incline, age, weight,,,204 sounds about right for the tread. I don't think I get 515 burned even on the elliptical for a half hour.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Rough estimate - 100 cals per mile. You did not burn 1030 cals/hour - that is crazy off for an estimate.

the 199 above verifies this great estimate
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Always use the lower number. Be sure to use HRM, fitness calculators and other things to help you. The numbers on MFP are not accurate at all.
  • guested
    guested Posts: 2
    Options
    Some of the exercise stuff is wayyyy off on MFP. When I enter my rowing exercise in MFP if I do one hour of rowing it estimates my calorie burn at 6226 calories (!!). I have to go in and manually adjust it down to what my rowing machine says in the 800 calorie neighborhood.

Once you put in the minutes on MFP for an exercise you can still click over to the calorie box and change that to whatever you want, at least I seem to be able to.