Cooking Challenge: Black Beans

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the thirteenth round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from jwd28 who was the winner of the winter squash challenge.

black_beans.jpg

This week's challenge is BLACK BEANS!

I'm hoping we can up the participation now that the holidays are over.

"
One of these various types of beans that have a lot of benefits for health is black bean, black bean contain a lot of nutrients needed by the body, such as vitamin K, vitamin C, manganese, vitamin A, dietary fiber, potassium, folate, iron, magnesium, thiamin, riboflavin, copper, calcium, phosphorus, protein, omega-3 fatty acids and niacin. Black beans are also a very rich source of fiber, these nutrients play important role to prevent cholesterol from becoming oxidized and heart disease. When people talk about black bean, it is a unique type of bean because of the color coat on the black bean and it make them different from other beans, the color coat of black bean contain at least 8 different flavonoids that have enormous antioxidant potential that can be used to prevent degenerative diseases. Black bean like other types of beans contain a lot of protein contents and fiber, each cup has about 15 grams of both protein and fiber. "

Black Beans (1 cup, boiled without salt)
227 calories
1 grams fat
0 mg cholesterol
6 mg sodium
611 mg potassium
41 grams carbs
15 grams dietary fiber
15 grams protein

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday January 8th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Ooh I LOVE black beans! I will try to find some around here... beans (other than soybeans, mung beans, and red beans) don't seem to be very popular...
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately beans give me severe migraines, so I will sit this one out.
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Funny, beans, really all legumes are a huge and very nice part of my diet. So many people I know,
    particularly those from the U.S. East Coast have all kinds of reservations, concerns, and problems
    with them.

I don't for a second discount the pain and symptoms people have. On the other hand I think it
    might be like how children grow to have healthier immune systems and less
    allergies if they were exposed to more dirt and allergens when children.

I'm guessing that being raised in a family or culture where legumes were a daily staple,
    as adults, fewer people would suffer as they now seem to. (of course, I am not a doctor
    and there is a more than 50/50 chance I'm full of, well, beans)
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I am totally coming back to this one. I have a few recipes,I just need to figure out the calories.
  • healtymama
    Options
    Love black beans but not sure what to do with them. Since this is the first time I have seen this post, just wanted to know if I don't have a recipe can I still try them at home? Don't mean to sound dorky.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Love black beans but not sure what to do with them. Since this is the first time I have seen this post, just wanted to know if I don't have a recipe can I still try them at home? Don't mean to sound dorky.

Yeah, of course!
  • MamaEggMcMuffin
    MamaEggMcMuffin Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this forum!
    I have a recipe with refried black beans, would that be acceptable?

Jackie
  • slim4lyf
    slim4lyf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    A friend gave me a recipe for "Turkey Con Chili". It is made with black beans and is delicious especially during the cold winter months. I've posted it before in another forum so I'll find it and put it in this one later today.

Hope you all have a great day and am looking forward to new recipes.

Cindy
  • arctickari
    arctickari Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Where do we post the recipe?
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Chili Con Turkey

1 pound ground turkey
    1 can (14 oz) Rotel original
    1 can black beans rinsed and drained
    1 can corn drained
    1 packet Chili seasoning
    1 tbls. ground flaxseed
    1 cup cooked brown rice

Brown turkey. Add everything else except the rice and cook for 10 minutes. Serve over the brown rice.

Serves 4: Calories; 407; protein 30 g; fat 11 g; fiber 9

(I've added this recipe to the foods list. Also I like to make this in the crock pot so it simmers longer and the flavors meld together better. My family really likes this recipe.)

Enjoy,

Cindy
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Where do we post the recipe?

Here!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this forum!
    I have a recipe with refried black beans, would that be acceptable?

Jackie

Sure!
  • MamaEggMcMuffin
    MamaEggMcMuffin Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Layered Taco Dip

1 can (16oz) 99% FF Refried Black Beans
    1 pkg ( 8oz) 1/3 less fat Cream Cheese
    1 can (16oz) Stewed Tomatoes, drained (I cut them up some).
    1 pkg ( 8oz) Light Sour Cream
    1 1/2 cups chopped-up lettuce (I use romaine)
    1 cup Shredded cheese (I use Mexican 4-cheese)
    1 can (2 1/4oz) Sliced Black Olives
    Bunch of Green Onions, chopped
    1 jar ( 8oz) Taco Sauce

Layer away!!! I would recommend a 9 x 13" dish... I had luck (with easy spreading) as follows:

Cream cheese on the bottom, then beans, tomatoes (they kind of sink into the beans), sour cream, lettuce, taco sauce, cheese, onions and olives.

Depending on the level of 'fattiness' of the ingredients, the calories will differ... As listed, I come up with around 70 calories per serving (56 servings).

Serve with your favorite chip!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. I have a spicy black bean "burger" recipe that's oh so yummy.
    And burritos...
    and quesadillas....

I love me some black beans! ;)
  • NewMeTomG
    NewMeTomG Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When is the deadline? I love black bean soup, but have not made it from scratch in years. When I was in Costa Rica, the family I stayed with gave me a recipe book that had authentic Tico homemade recipes to include a black bean soup that was absolutely delicious. Need to dig out that recipe book, see if I can made it, and share if it is as good as I remember.

Tom
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Red Quinoa with Avocado, Black Beans and Corn

Ingredients

1 cup red quinoa
    1 diced poblano pepper
    1 cup frozen corn
    2 cups cooked black beans
    1/4 cup lime juice
    2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 avocado, diced

Directions
    In a large skillet, saute the poblano pepper, corn and black beans.
    Once softened, add the lime juice and cilantro.
    In a saucepan, cook the red quinoa as directed on the package.
    Once cooked, mix the quinoa in with the sauteeing veggies.
    Dice up an avocado.
    Serve the avocado on top of the quinoa and veggies.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 5 ounces
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 406
    Calories from Fat 71
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 7.9g12%
    Saturated Fat 1.2g6%
    Cholesterol 0mg0%
    Sodium 12mg0%
    Total Carbohydrates 67.8g23%
    Dietary Fiber 14.9g60%
    Sugars 3.0g
    Protein 19.7g

Vitamin A 4% • Vitamin C 44%
    Calcium 10% • Iron 28%

Nutrition Grade A
    * Based on a 2000 calorie diet

I know the calories maybe high for some but the protein count is high in this meal!! It taste wonderful and is a quick easy meal!! I changed the recipe up a little but I found it on http://www.5dollardinners.com/2010/06/red-quinoa-avocado-black-beans-corn.html. I hope you all enjoy my family does!!
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've just discovered black beans! I love them so far, I'm looking forward to the recipes in this challenge.
  • SunnyLu
    Options
    I love black beans and have a slow cooker recipe from the Meatless Monday website ...my daughter introduced me to... I'll find it and post it soon :)
  • jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Black beans and rice! <3

Black beans - with a little taco seasoning in them.
    Over cooked rice.
    With lots of salsa and a little light sour cream.
    ONE OF MY VERY FAVORITES!!