Not at all.. Go for it:smile:
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hell no! Go!
  • trvrmagz
    trvrmagz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Go WILD! Hope you went to bar! If you belly up next to somebody, most guys might think you're with someone else and leave you alone. OT baby!
  • Beautiful_Pain
    Beautiful_Pain Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Just go you Weirdo! :tongue:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Not weird...but for the sake of your relationship, first ask yourself how you would feel if you went out of town and your husband decided to go to a bar alone to watch hockey. Or...ask your husband how he feels about it. Not because you 'need his permission' but out of respect for his feelings. Some fights are perfectly avoidable.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Not weird...but for the sake of your relationship, first ask yourself how you would feel if you went out of town and your husband decided to go to a bar alone to watch hockey. Or...ask your husband how he feels about it. Not because you 'need his permission' but out of respect for his feelings. Some fights are perfectly avoidable.
    If something like that would start a fight in my relationship, I would want it to be over, anyway.

Seriously? People fight over one partner going to a sports bar to watch a game? REALLY????
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If something like that would start a fight in my relationship, I would want it to be over, anyway.

Seriously? People fight over one partner going to a sports bar to watch a game? REALLY????

It's about respect. Not about going to the bar. If she tells him her intentions up front, then there is no reason for him to be suspicious of her reasons for going to the bar.
  • rml_16
    Options

It's about respect. Not about going to the bar. If she tells him her intentions up front, then there is no reason for him to be suspicious of her reasons for going to the bar.
    Well, i would imagine that would come up in conversation. I mean, C and I tell each other what we're doing day-to-day because we're in a relationship and we talk to each other. I mean, he's off today and I'm at work. I know he's playing golf because in conversation, it came up. He didn't ask me how I feel about it. I don't have feelings about it beyond I'm happy he's doing something he enjoys.

I stand by my statement: If my partner is actually going to be upset about something like this, I would rather be single.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Don't know why people are saying this could throw a wrench in the relationship, or implying that OP's being deceitful to her husband and secretly just wants to get hit on. Not wanting to watch a game alone and going to a sports bar seems totally reasonable. Do want you want, OP.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    So did you go?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Not weird, but get ready to be hit on. Woman alone in a sports bar that means open game to many men

I hate to say it because it sounds a bit double standard-y, but I completely agree with this.

Especially if it's a "real" sports bar.

At some chain restaurant slash sports bar I think you would still get hit on at least once or twice but maybe not quite as much.

Please understand I do NOT think it's bad, wrong, etc for you to go...but just be prepared for the onslaught of attention.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    You could try skipping make up, putting the hair in a pony tail, chopping onions and not washing your hands afterwards, or with one blingy earring.

And wear a hoodie and sag.

Actually, if you can, put on your bf/hubby's clothes all together.

That will help reduce the amount of hit-on you'll have to endure.

You could also try coloring one tooth black with eyeliner.

Judging by a scene I saw at the social security office whilst changing my name, this would not only get attention for her but it might bring her a whole family who are looking for a new mommy and are 420 friendly.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Not weird, but get ready to be hit on. Woman alone in a sports bar that means open game to many men

I hate to say it because it sounds a bit double standard-y, but I completely agree with this.

Especially if it's a "real" sports bar.

At some chain restaurant slash sports bar I think you would still get hit on at least once or twice but maybe not quite as much.

Please understand I do NOT think it's bad, wrong, etc for you to go...but just be prepared for the onslaught of attention.
    I tended bar in a sports bar and I have been to my share of them (petty much all we had where I grew up and spent my very early 20s).

I'm not saying men didn't offer to buy women drinks or chat them up, but I wouldn't call it an onslaught by any stretch. And a, "thanks, but no thanks," pretty much was all any woman ever needed.

Heck, as the female bartender, I didn't get hit on the way people in this thread seem to think. A lot of the men in the bars were married themselves, often even there WITH their wives or girlfriends. It's a laid-back, casual atmosphere not a pick-up joint.

Or maybe I'm going to the wrong bars.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Not weird, sounds normal to me. :smile:

perfectly normal.

I don't even have TV... and my BF is anti bar- so I have to go by myself when that's what I want to do.
  • xochristianna
    xochristianna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Haha okay, so first things first:

My husband doesn't care if I go to a bar to watch the game. He does this all the time when I'm out of town for work. He can't really cook so he goes to eat out when I'm not home. My mom also asked me how he would feel about me going to a bar, so I guess I get where people are coming from, but it's just not an issue in our relationship.

I did end up going to the bar, it was fine/fun. The guy who was bartending is also the manager. We frequent the place, so he recognized me and chatted with me a bit/recommended beers so it wasn't uncomfortable. There was actually another girl there alone whose plans with a friend fell through, so we chatted for a while as well.

After the first couple hours of the game, a guy friend came and met up with me so I didn't have to continue drinking alone.

Honestly, a couple guys offered to buy me drinks, but no one was creepy/weird. We live in a nice neighborhood in the city, and I went to a nice-ish place that is both a restaurant and a sports bar.

Lesson Learned: It was not a bad experience at all, I'm happy I did it, and now know that I don't have to feel weird about it.

ETA: Most importantly, Hawks win!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I mean, right?!

I never even knew this was a problem. I love sports and I'm a March Madness fanatic. I've gone to sports bars by myself to watch the game or, if I'm travelling for work, to be in a social environment. What's not to like? Beer, wings and televisions....

And, no, I don't go to sports bars to get hit on. Believe it or not, women do make choices for themselves that do not revolve around seeking attention from men.

Wow. Just wow.
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You could try skipping make up, putting the hair in a pony tail, chopping onions and not washing your hands afterwards, or with one blingy earring.

And wear a hoodie and sag.

Actually, if you can, put on your bf/hubby's clothes all together.

That will help reduce the amount of hit-on you'll have to endure.

You could also try coloring one tooth black with eyeliner.

This way of thinking is something that totally needs to change-the idea that women can only go out in public alone and without the protection of a man if they make themselves as unattractive as possible, so as not to tempt other men who supposedly otherwise would not be able to control themselves and swarm her.

Yes, if you're in a bar, its a possibility that someone might try to hit on you, but it's not like every man in the bar will surround her the minute she walks in.

Even if that was the case, it's wrong to think that it is a woman's responsibility to make herself as unnoticeable as possible, because if she is pretty or dressed nicely she is just asking for every man she encounters to hit on her, and if she does not want to be approached by anyone, she should just stay hidden inside her home and not go out and do the activities she would like to do.
  • dillingerr
    dillingerr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So? How was the hockey game?
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread comes outta the woodworks.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Where is Rick Grimes when you need him?