women that carry their weight in the stomachs

Options

Replies

• librabliss
    librabliss Posts: 1
    Options
    The only thing that helped me lose weight on my entire body including the stomach was HCG. I did the protocol two times but both times after I stopped taking HCG I did not stick to maintenance and I gained back more than I lost. The real problem is food addiction (or insert your own food related issue). If the emotional food thing is gone then the weight will be gone too. I am still trying to figure out how to do that :))
  • thecharmedlittleone
    thecharmedlittleone Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I myself have not had children but I also carry all my excess weight in my stomach and it makes me look pregnant and ready to pop... I am slowly losing inches and went from a size 26W to a 20 in jean size but my biggest crutch is desserts... Even though I walk almost 2 hours a day just for exercise, I am still not shrinking. I am diabetic and on insulin so that has helped some I think. But I think I need something more? any suggestions?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are some people who just preferentially store fat in the midsection area. If you have that body type, then you will always have a disproportionate accumulation of fat in that area. You can reduce overall body fat to low levels to mitigate the effect, but it will always be there.

Men have the same issue and I have to give them the same information.
  • skinnyzanne
    skinnyzanne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Count me in - although I don't want to be here. I'm a member of the 'when is your baby due?' club - only, I'm 47. I did lose weight and mostly kept it off using HCG. I'm finally in the Normal BMI range - yay! But my legs and butt are scrawny - arms and neck look normal - stomach is still very rounded. I have hormone issues (cortisol almost always messes with stomach fat) and a genetic predisposition to belly fat. My solution? Exercise in a normal - I can keep this routine up when I'm 70 - way, and I have an appointment for a consultation for liposuction. sigh...........
  • Marlena0708
    Marlena0708 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Count me in, too. I'm much older than most in this thread (51) and I never had body fat issues until I hit menopause. I'm 5'7" and have always naturally weighed about 125 lbs. I ate/drank whatever I wanted, when I wanted and actually had a hard time keeping weight on. I was in the military for 22 years, but I don't think that has anything to do with it because many of my fellow airmen were overweight even with the military PT grind. I think I'm just a natural skinny.

I weigh about 135 now and I swear that entire 10 lb gain is all right in my stomach. Skinny-fat is what I call it. Thin arms and legs with a muffin top. Which jiggles. I finally decided to do something about it. I can't tell anyone in real life that I'm trying to lose weight because they automatically want to stamp my forehead with "Eating Disorder!". I absolutely agree that 135 lbs at 5'7" is a very healthy weight and that number does not bother me at all. What bothers me is the fat roll/muffin top at my waistline.

I'm not a "gym" person, so I've started walking on my treadmill at home and taking walks with my daughter after work. MFP has me at 1200 calories, which I personally think is too low relatively speaking, but I'm not hungry eating at that level so who knows. I only started logging my food and walking/tread milling about a week ago, so we shall see what happens.

I'm not bothering with crunches and whatnot because first of all, I hate them. Second of all, I'm aware that crunches/ab workouts will do nothing to the muffin. I'm going to research some strength training exercises because I do think it's important to maintain/add muscle mass but I'm not going to overload myself at this point. I only have 10 lbs of fat to lose (or better yet, convert to muscle), so I'm not going to go all crazy-like. I'm going to try careful diet and moderate exercise for 2 months and see what happens.

I wish everyone luck taming the muffin. I'm beginning to realize how difficult it is to get rid of belly fat. My diary is open if anyone is interested (or bored, lol). Suggestions welcome.

Good luck everyone!
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I hear that most women carry most of their extra weight in their hips butt and thighs and also boobs. I'm not like that at all i feel like i carry all my weight in my stomach i have very muscular legs and butt, small boobs and a flabby stomach. If anyone is like me what things work best for you to lose weight? did it take you a long time to lose your stomach? I think i just need some support from people that have my same body type, so feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
    i'm 21 years old
    186 lbs
    5'7"

I hear ya, am the same, consistently small all over but my tummy is the problem area (and face?) I have managed to shift my weight through diet and mainly cardio. It took a year of proper diet and exercise to lose 24lbs. My stomach is still flabby but i have found my ab belt loads, i also lift (but am pretty rubbish at it!!)
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!~ My figure really isn't all that bad, EXCEPT for my stomache!!! I had 2 people in the same day ask me when i was "expecting"!!! Really?! I've just started to lose a few pounds and i know my stomach will probably be the last to go:( I'm gonna work hard till it's gone. Good luck!~

oh my god! Thank god this has happened to someone else. It happens all the time, especially when I'm shopping in the plus size section of Target which is right next to the maternity section.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I think lifiting weights is best to get the fat off. I have it all over, but I would say my lower abs stored the most, but it keeps shrinking more and more. I also do T-Tapp and Pilates, and some cardio, 2 or 3 times per week on the cardio. This week I keep missing my Pilates, preparing to go out of town this weekend and just too busy for 2 workouts. Pilates is great after lifting weights to stretch the muscles, especially if you are doing core Pilates.
  • WildCatClimbs
    WildCatClimbs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey All

I am in the club too. I am not overweight, just trying to improve my athletic performance. I only have any fat to pinch in my midsection. I have found a few things help:

Get more sleep. Seriously. If you aren't sleeping 8-9 hours a night of good sleep, your body feels stressed and releases cortisol, which as we all know, holds on to belly fat

Less sugar and less carbs, Really monitor this, and don't lie to yourself either. Something as healthy as a banana has a ton of carbs, and if you aren't doing long intense cardio you don't need so many. Also sugar is sneaky, read the labels of EVERYTHING.

Lift heavy weights. Kettlebells in particular require you to use your core to stabilize movements, even ones that are not targeting the midsection. Squats for example, REALLY require you to keep a strong core. The more heavy weights you lift, the more muscle you will have, which in turn burns more CALORIES at rest. No you will not get bulky. Promise.

Make sure part of it isn't bloat due to food intolerance. These can be sneaky, even including things like how food is processed(conventionally raised meat for example), dairy, gluten, corn, soy, and artificial sweeteners are common culprits.

Drink more water.

Try hot or Bikram yoga, the massive sweating for me anyway REALLY helps annihilate extra body fat.

This is just what has helped ME, remember everyone is different and it takes massive amounts of time and hard work :)
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Bump - Great advice here :)
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I will disagree that sugar and carbs are your enemy, but if it worked for you - that's great! I try to pair all carbs with protein but i don't stay away from them at all costs. Your body needs carbs to an extent.

In any case, I lost and kept off 110 pounds through mostly running. Somec ardio and minor weight lifting. Since I started doing more weight lifting I have seen much greater results. I still run 6 days a week but the mileage isn't quite as high anymore. I lift 3 days a week and have been able to get 3.5 inches off my stomach in about 6 weeks. I'm ru nning less than I ever have since I started and my weight on the scale isn't shifting, but it's coming off my stomach for sure
  • LMuench09
    LMuench09 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have to agree that yoga is the best for all over toning, I'm heavy in the tummy region too and have been asked several times when the babes due…. I just love the look on peoples face when you say "I'm not pregnant… I'm just fat"
    I started doing yoga 2 months ago and I can see that I've lost inches around my centre and better yet my husbands friends / co workers noticed too so it proved that it wasn't a trick of the eye.
    I also do beginners yoga 5 days a week for 60 min, not really intense but very controlled.

Good Luck
  • WildCatClimbs
    WildCatClimbs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I suppose I should clarify, I did not have a large amount of weight to lose to begin with, so my advice may not apply to someone looking to loose 50 lbs or more. When you get down to really refining your system so to speak, to get those last 5 lbs off, every tiny thing helps(or hurts). I agree carbs are not the enemy, HOWEVER most people consume far too many for their level of activity. If you sit at a desk all day(like most of us unfortunately) and your workout is a long walk, or a 2-3 mile run you do not need very many carbs. I think a lot of people use a moderate workout as an excuse to eat more, which can really hinder progress.

But at the end of the day, everyone and every BODY is so different, as long as we are striving to be healthy, the rest falls into place :)
  • faelight
    faelight Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    MY BEST TIPS for this,
    from personal experience:

LOVE your body
    BE patient
    LIFT weights
    EAT healthy with a deficit, tending toward lower carbs, moderate protein, and moderate fat

Honestly, that's what helped me. I have the same body type - muscular, average frame, with tendency to collect fat on my belly and then butt. Strong legs and glutes. I've slimmed and tightened everywhere by staying the course patiently.

Love your body. This makes a world of a difference. I promise.
  • Tera_1984
    Tera_1984 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I carry my weight in 3 areas of my body, My butt,my stomach and my thign's (im not sure if thign's is spelled right, Sorry if its not, I hope everyone knows what I mean though)
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Tippy05
    Tippy05 Posts: 43
    Options
    Me too. I had two c-sections in less than 2 years, so I'm sure that hasn't help things, but it's frustrating. I'm starting to lose weight (slowly - down only 5 lbs) but I have no tone in my stomach and the muscles are all garbage. That's where I've always carried it, so combine genetics with two c-sections and I've got quite a hill to climb.

After my second son was born, I jumped on the treadmill and spin bike and did cardio 5 days a week for at least 45-60 minutes a day. It didn't help. I've been stuck at the same weight for almost 2 years, despite all the workouts. I've recently switched to focusing on what I'm eating and have been a little successful (again, only 5 lbs) so I'm hoping this is going to continue to work.

Everyone is different and what works for one may not work for all. Keep at it and find what works for you.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yup, describes me perfectly. I have at least another 10 lbs to go, and it seems like all of it is around my middle. Of course when I lost my first 20 or so lbs, it was mostly from my butt and thighs (ugh!!). But, I'm actually finding weight training (oddly enough not situps or crunches) are helping with the gut. Although I haven't lost much in the last 2 weeks or so, I'm noticing that since starting resistance training, I'm slowly looking less bloaty :-)
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Count me in, too. I'm much older than most in this thread (51) and I never had body fat issues until I hit menopause. I'm 5'7" and have always naturally weighed about 125 lbs. I ate/drank whatever I wanted, when I wanted and actually had a hard time keeping weight on. I was in the military for 22 years, but I don't think that has anything to do with it because many of my fellow airmen were overweight even with the military PT grind. I think I'm just a natural skinny.

I weigh about 135 now and I swear that entire 10 lb gain is all right in my stomach. Skinny-fat is what I call it. Thin arms and legs with a muffin top. Which jiggles. I finally decided to do something about it. I can't tell anyone in real life that I'm trying to lose weight because they automatically want to stamp my forehead with "Eating Disorder!". I absolutely agree that 135 lbs at 5'7" is a very healthy weight and that number does not bother me at all. What bothers me is the fat roll/muffin top at my waistline.

I'm not a "gym" person, so I've started walking on my treadmill at home and taking walks with my daughter after work. MFP has me at 1200 calories, which I personally think is too low relatively speaking, but I'm not hungry eating at that level so who knows. I only started logging my food and walking/tread milling about a week ago, so we shall see what happens.

I'm not bothering with crunches and whatnot because first of all, I hate them. Second of all, I'm aware that crunches/ab workouts will do nothing to the muffin. I'm going to research some strength training exercises because I do think it's important to maintain/add muscle mass but I'm not going to overload myself at this point. I only have 10 lbs of fat to lose (or better yet, convert to muscle), so I'm not going to go all crazy-like. I'm going to try careful diet and moderate exercise for 2 months and see what happens.

I wish everyone luck taming the muffin. I'm beginning to realize how difficult it is to get rid of belly fat. My diary is open if anyone is interested (or bored, lol). Suggestions welcome.

Good luck everyone!

You sound like my twin! I'm also 51, and right now weigh 142. I'm hoping when I get to 135 I'll be happy with my belly but maybe not. I have thin arms and legs and not much of a butt (though squats are helping). But I still have a generous handful of belly flab.

OP, I think the answer is to just get down to low enough overall body fat that eventually the belly fat goes away too. I'm an accountant, and I really think of fat as LIFO (last-in first-out, like an inventory tracking method), except on the way down in weight, it's FILO.

Best of luck fellow belly flabbers!
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Yes, I carry most of my weight on my stomach. I didn't do anything special or different to lose the weight, but I still have a little more fat on my stomach than I would like, even at 18.5% body fat. Oh well! A little tummy bulge isn't the end of the world, you'll still look great in the end :)