I have no idea what a a Twinkie is ....

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I saw them in a weird "American style" sweet shop here in England...They don't look very appetising and look like they wouldn't dunk very well in to a cup of tea

what dunks well into tea, besides sugar lumps and ice cubes?

Biscuits of course!
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I loved them as a kid but I had one a few years ago and unfortunately, the taste did not live up to my nostalgic memories.

Truth.

Lol! I had one maybe a year ago or so... I was so excited as I hadn't had one in years. I ate half and decided it really wasn't all that great. Sad day.

They don't taste the same since the new company bought out the old Hostess line. They tasted better (although not great) when the old Hostess company made them. I think they've changed the recipe a tad.
  • toconeledoux
    toconeledoux Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Twinkies were ok. I was a devil dog fan. Something about squeezing the filling out the sides and eating that first. It was like an ice cream sandwich for cold days. :) As I grew up, Drakes made a coffee cake that always tasted so good for breakfast. I dont know if the recipe changed after the company closed for that time, but they are not the same. (A fact I am grateful for)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I saw them in a weird "American style" sweet shop here in England...They don't look very appetising and look like they wouldn't dunk very well in to a cup of tea

what dunks well into tea, besides sugar lumps and ice cubes?

Rich Tea biscuits.

Don't be fooled by those Hob Nob fakers!
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    am i the only one who thinks those things are disgusting?

Nope. I think all those things are grody. Also, donuts with icing for the filling. Gak.

Now, these, though....
    526321-20121004232308-little-debbie-nutty-bars_zps0ca89869.jpg
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was a snoball fan :) I was addicted to those things as a kid

photo.jpg

They had green ones around St Patrick's day

These things.

Oh man.

Now you have me thinking coconut, marshmallow, chocolate cake... damn.
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is where it was at for me ....
    Box-of-Tastykake-Butterscotch-Krimpets.jpg

Didn't know what Tastycakes were until you posted the pic. Now I remember. (goes back to knitting in rocker in the corner)
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Dear Hostess: You are the entire reason I'm fat. This thing was a deep fried apple pie, with a sugar glaze completely covering it. Hey, it had fruit right? Can't get the darn thing to resize, but you get the point.
    1000x1000_zps5e2ab973.jpg
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I see no one has mentioned Cosmic Brownies yet.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    does anyone have a pic of a hoagie, or a ding dong? I've only heard of them on tv. plus that cheese stuff in a can. Only ever saw that on tv too
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You have not missed out on anything. Twinkies and the like are gross, except Ding Dongs. Ding Dongs are pretty good, but please Moon Pie, that's where it is. Mmmmmmmm Moon Pie.

Edit cause I have no idea how to add the image
  • lajohnson1959
    lajohnson1959 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just gained pounds LOOKING at the twinkies! I used to love the creamy filling:love::love:
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    You weren't missing anything. They are gross. when i heard they weren't making them any more in Canada i felt i should try one and i didn't even finish it because it was gross.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    am i the only one who thinks those things are disgusting?

maybe i was spoiled with my moms baking growing up but ive had a couple and i nearly spit them out

This is so me!!! I rather bake yummy treats then to eat Twinkies..
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I see no one has mentioned Cosmic Brownies yet.

Totally forgot about these! They make me think about my grandma - she always had some on hand for treats. :happy:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    twinkies suck.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    ZINGERS!! I would peel the frosting off, eat the cake, and then eat the frosting...ahh the glory days...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    ZINGERS!! I would peel the frosting off, eat the cake, and then eat the frosting...ahh the glory days...
    I once got grounded over Zingers in high school. I am angry with them still.