• ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Running shakes the shi**ies out.

Better than a Dulcolax chaser.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I dont usually havwhen i train, but at times when I do races I will get up extra early and have coffee, or some sort of energy drink that makes me go within 20 minutes!!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I will second several comments:

Caffeine about 30 minutes before = you're golden!
    Running otherwise fasted = yes, even less issues.
    Not rolling out of bed and running = great advice.

Also yes, this happens to ALL runners. ????????????????
  • RunningMom42
    RunningMom42 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A cup of black tea as soon as I wake up works for me.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    It doesn't happen to ALL runners (never happened to me!). But it's quite common, and apparently is often due to a mild lactose intolerance. I have runner friends who've totally eliminated the problem by drinking less milk throughout the day (and definitely not drinking milk before a run).
  • lilyp91
    lilyp91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know your pain! The advice I've seen on here so far is terrific. I also wake up earlier so that I can run in peace. I sometimes go for a run without eating first but find it difficult to muster past ten miles on that plan. When I have a longer run, I'll eat something low in fiber. Once the long runs get to twenty and longer, I take Immodium. It's not ideal but keeps me from having an emergency while out with my running group or during a marathon.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    ok, you want honesty, i shat myself during an insanity warm up once. i finished the warm up, then took a shower. there i said it lol

Confession is good for the soul!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would try waking up a bit earlier and eating a bit earlier. I eat b'fast around 8am, then 915 (when I get to the gym) like clockwork...I'm ready...to go. I can't drink coffee before I get to the gym on cardio days; it makes me sick. So I'm not sure coffee would help or hurt you.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My morning runs are not that long but I just don't eat before I go. if anything a banana & that's only if I'm famished!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Being new to the running thing (W7 of C25K), I thought this just happened to me. OP, thanks for having the guts to post this. Will check out the tips and tricks.
  • future_rockstar
    future_rockstar Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for my second 1/2 marathon and have this issue now that the distances are getting longer - we're up to 12K. I've tried eating/not eating (and yes, I'm eating a couple of hours before running)...something like a small banana or 1/2 a homemade muffin with some water as I don't drink coffee. I've also tried using Immodium, but it doesn't seem to get the job done for me. I'm trying to focus more on changes I can make the day before now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.