First day trouble please help

Options

Replies

• Fit4MeAlways
    Options
    I think you need to really dig deep and find something that is sustainable. I have this grand idea of eating healthy food, nothing processed, no sugar, etc. This thinking always gets me in trouble because I have that all or nothing approach. Well if I can't eat perfect than I might as well inhale a pizza. This time, I am accepting there are good days, bad days, days when I won't have enough time to sleep and cook. I have tons of processed frozen food that is the healthiest I could find for these times and I am okay with that. I am trying to pick things that will hit all the macro targets, throw in fruit and veggies for snacks, always eat breakfast, and just do my best.

Something is keeping you from being able to maintain. Find out what that is and create a manageable plan because life is going to always be insane.

So... meant to quote this when I stated earlier:

Perfectionists Unite!
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you forget to brush your teeth one morning, do you not brush them for the next month just because you messed up? No. There is no wagon to fall off of, and nothing that you have to give up to make this work. Eat at a moderate deficit, focus on whole foods that are satiating (including protein), and have patience. If you go way over on calories one day, acknowledge it, figure out a way to try and prevent it in the future, and move on. THE VERY NEXT MEAL. Don't go crazy for two weeks just because you already messed up once or twice.

Some of us do need to give stuff up. Some of us do fall off the wagon and stay off for days. I suffer from depression, and trying to manage it on my own, without meds. I also binge eat/emotionally eat. I have to do away with my triggers, or chance a binge. And, unfortunately, falling off the wagon usually means that depression has reared it's ugly head, and when I am feeling better, I get back on. Please do not assume that we can all do this the same way, or that we just need willpower.
  • messiahs
    messiahs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Take baby steps. Remind yourself that every day is a new day and do what you need to do. Having off days or even an off week/month is OK- or even a single meal you've messed up is OK- because you can always get back into eating properly or working out. If you start thinking you've failed then you just give up... trust me I know. Even if all you do for the day is a 10-20 minute walk or a short workout or ten reps... it means you haven't just given up and you'll feel better for it!
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    BABY STEPS woman!! Why make your goal so unattainable?? Do something like this... today's dinner I will make better choices and have the chicken with more beans passing on the potatoes. For snack I will have the popcorn instead of the bowl of ice cream (and nevermind if I eat the whole 3 cups of popcorn it is STILL better for me than the ice cream!!) If you say the "whole day" you will set yourself up for failure immediately!! Change your thinking and break it down into meals. Between meals, I will have the almonds instead of that cupcake mentality!! Saying drink more water to feel fuller is a crock of crap! It's our mindset that needs to change!! I am gonna take the kids for a walk (they can ride their bikes) for a half hour just so WE get exercise!! See how this works?? Look I was 275lbs at my heaviest, I found changing my mindset and breaking it down into smaller triumphs in the beginning got me to where I am today, I'm almost at 100lbs lost. I also quit smoking over 3 years ago with the same mindset...baby steps to get to the ultimate goal...nothing happens overnight friend!! Fight the fight!! :drinker:
  • AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    Thanks everybody definitely have emotional eating problems, and theres a lot of junk food in the house and I always have an all or nothing attitude, perfectionism at its worst. I'm also extremely depressed from the weight gain and having to lose it AGAIN for the thousandth time, and still not getting to my goal even though I should have been there years ago. So hope I can figure this out, I'm so tired and my kids deserve a better mom thats not always eating. I'm still breastfeeding my 10 month old and I swear that makes me hungry but thats just another excuse.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If you forget to brush your teeth one morning, do you not brush them for the next month just because you messed up? No. There is no wagon to fall off of, and nothing that you have to give up to make this work.

Love this!! Keeping that in my thoughts.
  • amethyst70
    amethyst70 Posts: 68
    Options
    I feel ya. Having kids at home is a double whammy somedays. Especially if you are a Mom like me. I would honestly not want to waste food, and knowing they won't clean their plates, (nor do I ever demand that they do), instead of getting seconds, I would just eat the leftovers on their plates. It was a tough habit to break.

My first day is/has always been tough, because out of habit you just naturally grab something and before you know it, you devoured it and then think "Damn, I was starting my diet today". So a little preparation goes along way. THINK about your daily routine. What do you grab first? Have a little fun, and make little posters or signs to put up in your kitchen or your weak areas to remind you today is the day.

Personally I am not a pro at any of this like so many others, but I do know for me, coming from a carb addicted background, PCOS, Graves disease, and being insulin resistant, as well as an emotional binge eater, that my weakest points are at night. There is no way I am ever going to get over eating a majority of my calories after 4pm. I also tend to graze. From 4pm to midnight will do me in for any good I have accomplished during the first part of the day. So I restructured my whole way of looking at things.

Mornings and early afternoon, I stay away from eating a lot because I already know I am going to eat at night.
    Given that I am eating at night, I have come up with my own hot cereal, that is sweet and open to flavor add ins.
    I do 1/4 cup cooked Quinoa
    1 scoop protein powder-vanilla creme
    1 splash almond milk.

Warm in microwave. Now for add-ins.
    Blueberries.
    Splenda if you like it sweeter.
    Cinnamon for a snickerdoodle taste.
    1/4 cup greek yogurt for a creamier texture and added calories/carbs/protein
    1oz cream cheese
    a couple strawberries
    torani sf syrup

OR you can eat it cold and it kind of resembles tapioca.

Some people might not agree with my approach and thats ok, but from a carb addict, binge standpoint, I have to have something to look forward to, that is just for ME, that tastes delicious, is like a sweet indulgence and hits macros, and this covers all the above.

I also prepare 1-2cups Quinoa beforehand and keep in the fridge, making this a quick snack, or even a meal if you so choose.

As far as food in the house. That sucks. To avoid it comes from within, you know this. You CAN DO THIS. You have done amazing and have gotten a little off track. Really consider why? Are you tired of the same thing day in and day out? Find a different workout. Try some new healthy foods. Plan a weekend escape.

Also, maybe have your thyroid levels checked? Just a suggestion. If you are hungry all the time, AND breast feeding, and tired and 10months postpartum, it is very possible your thyroid has dropped off a bit. Far easier to get it checked and make sure all is well then find out later your fighting an uphill battle that you could have nipped at an earlier point. :)
  • skutnikj
    skutnikj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    just reflecting on your last update --- first FORGIVE yourself.... it seems like you are hanging on to where you feel you should be.... I always say YOU ARE WHERE YOU ARE - you can't change the past , you cant magically go back and not re-gain those few lbs you did --- forgive yourself - what is done is done honey.... Let it go :) Focus on what you can do now and who you are now..... Don't beat yourself up ..... let it be -- accept where you are and focus on where you are going.... you WILL get there :) you've come so far already.... celebrate the LITTLE wins!!!! Celebrate every good decision and action - and LEARN from the challenges and struggles - you CAN DO THIS!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I also want to mention,

Make sure you have the correct calorie goal, too often MFP gives people the 1200 calorie minimum which is usually too low.

Check out online calorie BMR and TDEE calculators to find the right fit. It is not an exact science so may take some time to find the calorie goal that works best for you.

This is one link to a calculator
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate - What your body needs to survive doing nothing as if you were in a coma

TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure - different method then MFP, since TDEE takes into account your activity level

MFP - uses the NEAT method which uses a built in deficit and requires you to eat back a portion of your exercise calories.

Also patience, take one day at a time and I like the Today Way. You will make healthy choices today, you will not start tomorrow. Today you will make that choice to have one serving of cake instead of two, or to drink lots of water, or to add that helping of veggies with dinner.
  • jenniferkepler3
    Options
    We have ALL been there! I have done this several times! I get really obsessed with trying to lose the weight do good for a little while and then just GORGE myself and continue to do it until I gain all the weight back and then some. I was at 285.8 when I restarted and have only lost 18lbs so far. It's the hardest thing I've ever had to do. It's all about lifestyle change. I know this is thrown around a bunch but that's really what it comes down too. Before I would be "dieting" but you can't just "diet" you have to change your whole lifestyle and accept that it's going to be this way forever.

So first start with the mindset that you're changing your whole lifestyle then it makes it easier to pass things up and keep going! You CAN do this! You've already done it before!!
  • eemitchell1984
    eemitchell1984 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I find that keeping a routine has been helping me. Baby steps... but making sure you truly log everything (don't cheat yourself) and staying true to your promises to yourself works. Counting calories sucks... but I find that it's become a bit of a game for me. Like... how many times can I say "no" and overcome the temptation in a day. Each time is hard... but over time it becomes easier and the pride you have in your decision outweighs the sacrifice!
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    From Psychology Today: "Relapse is now seen as the rule rather than the exception in addiction recovery. And it is no longer viewed as a catastrophe but as an opportunity for learning more and better strategies for overcoming urges and for identifying the moods and situations that are likely to be difficult.

What is inappropriate is black-and-white thinking about success that turns a slip-up into a disaster and sees it as a sure sign of defeat. The fact is that it takes time to change all the mental apparatus that supports any particular habit-the memories, the situations that trigger craving, and more. Addiction changes brains, and it takes time to change brains back."

My advice is to wear arm weights all the time. It keeps you conscious of what you are trying to do while building a little muscle too. Every fork full of food becomes a workout!
  • AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    Thank you everyone
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Log every single thing you eat, good or bad. Even if you end up eating 4000 calories in a day. It helps me so unbelievably much to see that. Always keeps me on track. Also, try pre-logging your food the night before or early in the morning. Then stick to what you planned, no excuses.
  • cmich123
    cmich123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Logging every single thing is important, I agree with that. What I have done this time around is that I allow myself the treats. I have stocked my freezer with low calorie fudge bars and fruit bars. When I am craving that sort of thing, I indulge, of course they are a part of my daily intake, but it helps that I CAN IF I WANT TO!!! Another thing I have changed is that I eat within the first half hour of getting up in the morning. I never used to do that. It's important to start up that motor so your body can work to the best of its ability. I got married, quit smoking, and entered menopause all in the same year and really put on the weight, but now I am finally able to see some decent results. You can do it, too. :) Hang in there!
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I plan out my whole week of food. If my food is planned when I wake up, and I already have it all in the refrigerator, I have no trouble eating my planned meals. Even when I get within a day or two of the end of my planned days, I start getting a little anxious and need to plan the next 5+ days. I LOVE planning out the whole week of food. I get to eat anything I was so long as it all fits. I realize preplanning everything takes time, but so does logging after the fact, and at least if you only eat what you prelogged there is no disappointment about failing to eat a calorie deficit that day.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    First of all, stop beating yourself up. Look at it this way. You are down almost 70 lbs. Forget what you gained back. It's done. Stay focused on the wt. you did lose cause that will remind you that you CAN do it as you were successful before. Secondly-here is what I find helpful. Plan Plan Plan...Each day I plan exactly what I am going to eat within my allowable calories. I even tally it up on MFP in my data. Somehow writing it down before I start my day. Keeps me honest. And third...keep cut up veggies in your fridge, sugar free jello, and I make a big pot of vegetable soup and just heat it up by the cupful whenever I feel tempted to eat . I hope this helps. I hear your frustration but you can do it. The three children will make it difficult because of the time issue. But make time for yourself. You can do it.:flowerforyou:
  • frodopuppy
    frodopuppy Posts: 75
    Options
    be proud you still lost 67 amazing pounds. time to move forward. I feel every day I don't gain is a good one
  • katforpeace
    Options
    Remember that you have done the hardest part already, making the decision to change and losing all that you have. Also you are amazing and deserve to do this for yourself not just for your children. When I feel the urge to eat loads of crap I stop myself and acknowledge that neither 1 piece nor 100 pieces will ever be enough so there's just no point in even starting. I also chew gum if I feel like eating because I'm bored or emotional. Good luck you can do it!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is to buy a food scale and weigh and measure your foods accurately. Eat a healthy well balanced diet and make changes that you can sustain for a lifetime not just today. Start slow and try not to eliminate the foods that you like. You can eat anything in moderation. It's difficult to not have treats around when you have children but they have rules about how much they can have and when so make rules for yourself in that regard. If you have a hard time staying within your calorie goal, going a bit over is NOT the end of the world, get over it and move on. Also get a bit of exercise, not only will it make you feel good it will increase your calorie goal :flowerforyou: