I Need the BEST Guac Recipe, Ever!!

Options

Replies

• tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Mexican here, so nothing exotic like yogurt or cream. Nor premade salsa. WTF? :P That's not guacamole, that's avocado spread with sour cream. Same as "white bean hummus" is not hummus (garbanzos, by definition).

2 avocados. Mash 1.5 with a fork. The other leave in little chunks.
    1 small onion. Red or yellow. White works, but it's more potent for this.
    1-2 garlic cloves
    Chile - for fresh taste, jalapeño. For a more smoky flavour, use their cooked brother, Chipotle.
    About 1/2 cup of tomatoes. I like cherry, but anything ripe works.
    About 1-2 large limes, to taste.
    Salt, Pepper.

BTW, this works best with Haas avocados. There's another green varietal with a very thin skin that actually can be eaten. Tasty, but not as good for guacamole since its more fibrous.

That's the simple recipe. In really fancy (but authentic) restaurants I've seen it prepared at the table, where they will add a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar for a small sweet offset to the heat, as well as a drizzle of olive oil for texture. But seriously, the most important part is ripe, nice fruits and vegetables and high quality heat (chiles). Cilantro is not really that common in my experience (central Mexico) - it was widely available on its own, but added separately as an individual garnish to tacos, etc.

As to how to eat - an unmentioned option is grill or griddle 1/2 avocado with skin on, stuff with tuna, tuna salad, shrimp, or other seafood. (use it as a cup)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Seriously! I've fallen in love with Avocado's...truly! And it's not because of the quirky Subway commercials, either!

I'd love to get my hands on your favorite Guac recipe, and while you're at it, what do you like to pair your Guac with? Tacos? Chips? I am trying to stay away from chips since they are so naughty!

How about just Avocado alone...how do you like to do up this lovely green veg? It's disappointing that it pretty much has to be eaten with a short time after cutting it open, so I'm trying to find ways of not wasting this delightful green fat burning machine!

HELP! :)

Chips aren't "naughty." They are, however, out of my price range for now.

I go the El Cheapo es Easy-o route. When avocado is on sale, I buy a seasoning packet at the store for fifty cents, mix it into peeled & pitted avocado, then eat with a fork. Sometimes I add a can of Rotel if I have an extra fifty cents. (Or diced tomatoes)
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    A new favorite at our house is to grill them. Cut in half, remove seed, drizzle a little olive oil and lemon over them, place face down on grill (we use medium heat) for roughly 5-7 minutes (I turn them about a quarter turn half way through to get cross-hatched grill marks). Remove from grill drizzle a little more lemon, fill hole with favorite salsa, pico, etc enjoy!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    (A) Greek yogurt does NOT belong in guacamole

(B) Guacamole NEVER goes in the blender

THIS!!!

I am a big fan of cilantro, so we use a bunch of cilantro...

(C)

Cilantro does NOT belong in guacamole.

: laugh :
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Interesting... avocados are sometimes more expensive than chips where I live.
  • oldantired
    oldantired Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    As mentioned before it makes a great substitute for mayo. Use it to make a tuna salad instead of mayo. If you mash up your avocado, put it in a container and gently cover with about 1/2" of water it will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge without turning dark.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Avocados
    Diced jalapeno
    Diced red onion
    Minced Garlic
    Cilantro
    Lime Juice
    Salt

A friend mixes a little sour cream in hers. I don't usually, but hers is pretty tasty.

Honestly, the Wholly Guacamole premade guac is not a terrible alternative and they have mini cups which are 100 cal each. I buy those and put them on sandwiches, or eat with chips.

I never used to like guacamole and if you told me when I was a kid I would love avocados as much as I do I would have thought you were crazy....
  • WinoGelato
    Options

THIS!!!

(C)

Agree to disagree friend!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    @1PatientBear.....Wow! Didn't realize I asked for an opinion on my post. Thanks for being rude! Didn't realize there was only one option for Guac out there and clearly you believe that's yours!!!
    No one told you to go buy Wildtree and you don't like apple cider vinegar, then certainly don't eat it.

Wow! Sensitive or Hangry?

This is a public forum. People are free to post their opinions. If your feelings are hurt every time someone disagrees with you, you might want to limit your online time.

A quick scroll through this thread alone is lots of various opinions on guacamole. It's all good. Chill!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Also, I make mango avocado salsa a lot if you are looking for something else to do with avocado. This is great with fish tacos or jerk chicken. It is also amazing with Stacy's Cinnamon and Sugar Pita Chips...

Similar recipe to the guac:
    1 mango diced
    1 avocado diced
    Diced red onion
    Diced jalapeno
    Minced Garlic
    Lime Juice
    Salt

Instead of mashing, just stir gently.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

THIS!!!

(C)

See, Jessica? This is how it's done!

(Kruggeri, I was going to say, "If you want your guac to taste like crap, then by all means, add cilantro," but I'm trying to set a good example for Jessica. =P)
  • WinoGelato
    Options

THIS!!!

(C)

(Kruggeri, I was going to say, "If you want your guac to taste like crap, then by all means, add cilantro," but I'm trying to set a good example for Jessica. =P)

Ha ha ha! I'm all about trying to set good examples in the forums...

I also recognize that cilantro is a very polarizing herb. I love it. My brother in law thinks it tastes like soap. :)
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options

I also recognize that cilantro is a very polarizing herb. I love it. My brother in law thinks it tastes like soap. :)

It's genetic. Seriously.

http://gizmodo.com/5942551/genetic-proof-that-you-really-do-hate-cilantro
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    @1PatientBear.....Wow! Didn't realize I asked for an opinion on my post. Thanks for being rude! Didn't realize there was only one option for Guac out there and clearly you believe that's yours!!!
    No one told you to go buy Wildtree and you don't like apple cider vinegar, then certainly don't eat it.

Public forums invite opinions. If you don't want an opinion, don't post your thoughts in public. As for the lack of shiny, happy feedback....you're right. I forgot to add the :flowerforyou: to make you feel all better about your apple cider vinegar.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

THIS!!!

(C)

Too funny. My brother loves it, and *I* think it tastes like soap. hahaha
  • smaxw7
    smaxw7 Posts: 15
    Options
    Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie packs from Costco! I like simple and easy! I eat it with veggies or whole wheat pretzel sticks from Trader joes.
  • hamo1987
    hamo1987 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Seriously! I've fallen in love with Avocado's...truly! And it's not because of the quirky Subway commercials, either!

I'd love to get my hands on your favorite Guac recipe, and while you're at it, what do you like to pair your Guac with? Tacos? Chips? I am trying to stay away from chips since they are so naughty!

How about just Avocado alone...how do you like to do up this lovely green veg? It's disappointing that it pretty much has to be eaten with a short time after cutting it open, so I'm trying to find ways of not wasting this delightful green fat burning machine!

HELP! :)

Best thing to do is use an acid of some kind, lemon, lime.... this will keep your avo fresh longer, you can freese it this way in a food sealer bag very nicely... I use it in place of all condiments on my sandwiches, I toss it in a salad, I eat it on my eggs with salsa, there are so many things to do with that yummy goodness..
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I made this soup for one of my wife's Wine Tasting Parties. I make a dish for each wine bottle they open. This recipe was a huge hit.

Hot Avocado and Shrimp Soup

1 small onion, diced
    2 stalks celery, chopped fine
    4 cups chicken broth
    1 bay leaf
    4 sprigs parsley
    1 cup sour cream
    1/8 cup chopped chives
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    2 medium avocados, peeled, seeded, roughly chopped
    1/2 cup cooked small shrimp, shelled, de-veined

Place onion, celery, broth, bay leaf, parsley, salt & pepper in a large saucepan. Simmer for 15 minutes. Strain and reserve stock.

Place avocados in blender or food processor; puree avocados while slowly adding stock.

When mixture is smooth, return to saucepan and heat gently; add shrimp. Cook over low heat until heated thoroughly, do not boil.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream atop each serving, and sprinkle with chopped chives.

Garnish with a slice of Fresh Avocado and sprig of cilantro
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My recipe for Guacamole is:

1. Mash up the avocado.

2. Eat it.

I don't really care to add things to it haha.
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion for eating your avocado:

Slice a tomato and an avocado, salt and pepper, then drizzle with a very good balsamic vinegar and eat. It's almost like dessert to me and my husband. I'm actually drooling while I'm typing this.