For the people that weigh themselves daily.

Options
I have been doing this for 46 days now and started at 224 and am now at 210. I weigh myself every morning at the same time and some days it goes down by .1 or .2 and somedays it goes up. For instance, on the 12th I weighed 209.9..13th it was 210.3 and today it was 210.5. I went to the dietitian today and mentioned it and she said to call her in a week to see where I'm at because maybe I'm eating too many calories. I really hope that's not the case because I don't feel that I am..I always have 500 or more calories left for the day after working out 80-90 minutes. Anyways..just curious how your numbers are and how many days they go up before you go down a whole number.

Replies

• hillysuze
    hillysuze Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate a lot in a week plus the added water weight we women gain each month. I think I heard if you strength train, you do gain a little weight at first as its your body's side effect of repairing the muscle tissue that allows you to get strong. I really woudn't worry about a pound or two here and there. You're doing great!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates all the time. From water weight, stomach and intestinal contents, bladder fullness, clothing, and just because. None of your fluctuations are indicative of weight gain. If you want to weigh every day, go ahead, but pick one day a week to be your weigh-in day that you record.

Also, MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories. Some people only eat back a portion, but 500 or more calories is a lot of have left over each day. You should be eating some of those back.
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. A half pound 'increase' is nothing. Sometimes my Sunday weight (after my big, salty Saturday) is 2 or 3 pounds more than my Friday or Saturday weigh in. It tends to go down over the course of the week.

There are a lot of factors, including hydration, glycol levels, solid and liquid waste currently in your system, etc. I would expect a dietician would know that. She probably said to call her in a week because by then, you'll probably see it go back down.

Or not. Weight loss isn't linear. I had a 2 week run last month where I didn't lose anything, and then saw 3 or 4 pounds come off the scale in 2 days. I am currently on a 13 day run where I am 1 pound up. But I am expecting that 'woosh' any time. My calorie intake and exercise is in line, so the weight loss will follow.

BTW, I weigh every day because I like looking for that 'new low'. It's because I know weight can fluctuate that I do that. I don't want to miss that low.
  • breakyoface
    breakyoface Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to keep 500 left so I can try to lose 2lbs a week. I'm not really worried yet, was just curious to see other peoples experiences with weighing daily.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you look at my page I have a screen shot of a 3 month trend and a 30 day trend. The body's weight fluctuates. Sodium, stress, sleep cycle, menstrual cycle all have effects. But the overall trend is downward.

No worries.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Ps-the big spike in the middle of the 30 day chart: SODIUM + TOM. It eventually worked itself out. :)
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. A half pound 'increase' is nothing. Sometimes my Sunday weight (after my big, salty Saturday) is 2 or 3 pounds more than my Friday or Saturday weigh in. It tends to go down over the course of the week.

There are a lot of factors, including hydration, glycol levels, solid and liquid waste currently in your system, etc. I would expect a dietician would know that. She probably said to call her in a week because by then, you'll probably see it go back down.

Or not. Weight loss isn't linear. I had a 2 week run last month where I didn't lose anything, and then saw 3 or 4 pounds come off the scale in 2 days. I am currently on a 13 day run where I am 1 pound up. But I am expecting that 'woosh' any time. My calorie intake and exercise is in line, so the weight loss will follow.

BTW, I weigh every day because I like looking for that 'new low'. It's because I know weight can fluctuate that I do that. I don't want to miss that low.

This is why I weigh every day and why I don't worry about it if I see a spike. As long as the overall trend is down, I'm good. I tend to be more active on the weekends and can usually post my lowest weight on Saturday afternoons.
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Weight spiking is normal if you weigh yourself every day.

Building so much muscle suddenly on a deficit is nonsense though, it is impossible to build that much muscle in that short time if at all on a deficit to acount for the upspikes.
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing myself daily for well over a year now. I keep a spreadsheet where I do rolling averages, 7-day, 15-day, and 31-day. I don't worry about day-to-day fluctuations, but I keep an eye on the rolling average trends.

However, I do have rather a *lot* of data on day-to-day and rolling average fluctuations:
    Over my ~173 lb to ~145 lb weight loss journey:
    My biggest single day swing (relative to the underlying modeled trend) was 8.3 lbs. Std. Deviation: 1.51 lbs.
    7-Day average biggest swing: 5 lbs. Std. Deviation: 0.996 lbs
    15-Day average biggest swing: 3.7 lbs Std. Deviation: 0.782 lbs.

I have estimated my Glycogen (and water) storage to be 8.8 lbs based on my estimated LBM, so these statistics seem quite reasonable to me, especially considering I frequently cycle my calorie deficit.

---

TL;DR:
    *Daily* weight fluctuations of a few pounds (or even more) are expected and do not indicate calorie surplus or deficit. If you're seeing a consistent weight loss/gain after a *few weeks*, that will tell you if you need to adjust your calories.
  • cmoncmonshake
    cmoncmonshake Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost every day - which you really shouldn't, especially if the number on the scale tends to freak you out and/or discourage you.

That being said, my weight will fluctuate A LOT at different times. When I first started losing weight, it was steadily decreasing, but now that I've hit my first goal weight and am just going for 10 more pounds, the scale is fighting back. This is also because I'm burning less calories than prior because my body weight has gotten lower. Normally it will range from 124-126, depending on how bloated I am, how much water I've been drinking, etc etc. It will bounce up and down for a good week before finally dropping down again. This has happened for the last 5 or so pounds I have lost. So if you see this happening when you weigh yourself everyday, that's completely normal and expected! :)

ALSO, my weight jumps up a few pounds during the week of my period. I think this may be normal for most girls - just so you know!
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day as well, and I see the pattern you're describing. I'll gain for several days in a row - small amounts like 0.4 lb or 0.6 lb - and then after a few days I'll drop it all and then some in just one or two days. My weigh-in today shows that I lost 1.8 lbs since yesterday. But if I compare that to my weight 3 days ago, I've only lost 0.4 lbs. It's just weight fluctuations. I don't understand why it does that, but I don't let it worry me either.

The reason I weigh myself every day is to desensitize myself to these fluctuations. If my weight goes up a little one day, I know that it will go down again if I just stay the course. But if I was only weighing myself every week and these fluctuations showed up on one of my weekly weigh-ins, I would panic because I wouldn't know what's happening in between weigh-ins; I wouldn't recognize that it's normal.

Weight loss isn't linear. If I could figure out how to add a pic to my post I would show you my weight-loss graph, there are a dozen little peaks, but the general trend is downwards. My greatest scare was my last period. Over 2 days I gained almost 4 lbs, held it steady for 3 days, and then dropped it all in one day.

But doing some math: You said you've been doing it for 46 days and you've lost 14 lbs. That's about 2.1 lbs/week. That's excellent loss rate! I don't think you have anything to worry about.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    My fluctuations typically look like this...

Monday: weigh in
    Tuesday: up
    Wednesday: up more
    Thursday: up more
    Friday: starts to come back down
    Saturday: down more
    Sunday: usually the lowest
    Monday: up from Sunday, but back down or under previous Monday

The only difference between maintenance and weight loss is that I'm in a weekly loop now rather than being down a little more overall on each Monday.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Another thing I've realized is that weighing every day seems to make every pound lost more exciting. I mean, I reached 214 3 days ago and then watched it go up again. So seeing it drop just below 214 this morning was really exciting. And now I'm looking forward to seeing it drop below 213 in a few days. Every day that my weight reaches a new low is a good day. But if that happened every day, I don't think it would make me quite as happy.

Not sure I'm making any sense here, but I thought I'd share that.

I haven't seen a pattern for how long my weight will go up before going down again. But I've seen it happen enough times that when it does, I consider it a reminder to just stay the course.
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I agree, and like was said before, I like to be able to see that new low! If I weighed once per week, I might be on an 'off' day and missed seeing a new record low number :)

I'm looking to break 204 personally, when I see 203 I'm gonna be stoked! I'll be even happier when I see under 200!
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    A weeks worth of small daily fluctuations really isn't enough to know if you are eating too much or not. An accurate food log will generally tell you if that is the case.

I weigh daily and my weight is all over the place. The variables that most affect it are the amount of carbs I've eaten the day before, my amount of activity, my hydration and where I am in my cycle. My weight went up every day this week even though I did nothing "wrong" but I'm fully expecting a drop within the next two days because that's what always happens at this time of the month.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to keep 500 left so I can try to lose 2lbs a week. I'm not really worried yet, was just curious to see other peoples experiences with weighing daily.

MFP already has that 500 deficit built in. So what you are doing is actually creating a 1000 calorie deficit. (500 from MFP + 500 from you = 1000 calories left per day)

MFP is designed for you to eat back a portion of your calories, since the calorie burned is a calculated estimate it is recommended to eat 50-75% of those exercise calories back.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing myself daily for well over a year now. I keep a spreadsheet where I do rolling averages, 7-day, 15-day, and 31-day. I don't worry about day-to-day fluctuations, but I keep an eye on the rolling average trends.

However, I do have rather a *lot* of data on day-to-day and rolling average fluctuations:
    My biggest single day swing (relative to the underlying modeled trend) was 8.3 lbs. Std. Deviation: 1.51 lbs.

I have estimated my Glycogen (and water) storage to be 8.8 lbs based on my estimated LBM, so these statistics seem quite reasonable to me, especially considering I frequently cycle my calorie deficit.

---

TL;DR:
    *Daily* weight fluctuations of a few pounds (or even more) are expected and do not indicate calorie surplus or deficit. If you're seeing a consistent weight loss/gain after a *few weeks*, that will tell you if you need to adjust your calories.

Wow!!! What is LBM?

I weigh myself every morning. One morning I woke up 2 hours early and weighted myself. I was able to get back to sleep and when I weight myself a second time I had lost 2 pounds in 2 hours. Last night my husband got overseas phone calls all night. I woke up 2 pounds heavier than yesterday. I anticipate after a good night's sleep, those 2 pounds will disappear plus some because I've been under calories.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I tried tracking daily weigh ins through MFP but don't like how the app isn't optimized for that. Plus, friends are thinking I'm gaining weight and dropping it several times a week.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Hey OP do you have all your data and access to a spreadsheet? If so, do this:

In the spreadsheet put the date in one column (or just Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 etc) and then your scale weight in a second column and graph that. It will most likely be a line that bounces all over the place but has a somewhat downward trend.

Like this:

MFP.png

If you look close you can see my weight would sometimes spike 4 pounds in a day.

Now, average all the weight values for 7 days (Day 1 - 7) and put that value in a third column next to day 7. Now average all the weight values for 7 days (day 2-8) and put that value in the third column next to day 8. Repeat through all the recorded days.

Now graph that. Chances are taking a 7 day average (called a moving average) will smooth out any fluctuations and you will see a nice clean downward trend.

Like this:

Moving_average.png

If after months of recording your moving average doesn't show a downward trend then yes you aren't losing fat weight. If it does though you are and you can get an idea of how quickly you are losing. In my example I am losing a pretty steady 1.3 pounds a week which if that trend continues will put me at my goal weight in September.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

---

TL;DR:

Wow!!! What is LBM?

I weigh myself every morning. One morning I woke up 2 hours early and weighted myself. I was able to get back to sleep and when I weight myself a second time I had lost 2 pounds in 2 hours. Last night my husband got overseas phone calls all night. I woke up 2 pounds heavier than yesterday. I anticipate after a good night's sleep, those 2 pounds will disappear plus some because I've been under calories.

LBM = Lean Body Mass = every part of you that weighs something that isn't fat