I've had it up to *here*

Options
13»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What's the alternative? Give up, go back to your old ways, then curse yourself in 6 months time when you get motivated again and have an extra 10 kilos to lose?

Been there. I quit at 80kg. Started again at 100. Quit at 90. Started again at 110. Most recently I quit at 98 and started again at 116.

Thing is, quitting doesn't mean just hopping off the train. Usually, it means hopping back on the one going the other way.

It sucks sometimes. It's a pain in the *kitten*. But a bigger pain in the *kitten* if having to do it all over again, so much further from the starting line.

EDIT: I've learned that it isn't motivation you need, it's resignation. "Woohoo, I'm going to do this!!" is all well and good, but what gets you over the line of days where it all just sucks is "*sigh* I have to do this".

This of it like a job. If you didn't go to work every day that you didn't really feel like it, you wouldn't have a job to go to.
    This makes total sense to me. I too am struggling like the OP and after I read your post, I feel better about the whole thing. Losing weight is just something we have to do (if we are not at a healthy weight), like going to work or college. Thank you for posting this!

I think it's different strokes for different folks... for me, treating it like a job or just one more thing I *had* to do always caused me to get overwhelmed and throw in the towel. Only when I learned to take it easy have I succeeded. I quit at 115, started again at 115 (5 months later), quit at 108, started again at 109, t 105 I quit for almost a month (now at 104) and will be starting again next week.

I guess quitting is not the most accurate term here, I keep tracking calories. It has become a part of how I live. I just have my calories set between 1000 and my maintenance, but I happen to hover around maintenance for periods at a time.

In a way you may be right, even in my case. I may not be treating this as a job, but I have found a way to treat it as "life". Something like brushing teeth, It doesn't feel like an obligation, just something that happens every day. Granted on some days you're in a hurry and you wing it and rush through it, but you do it anyway.

That's weight loss for me, my mileage varies greatly from day to day depending on many factors but it still keeps happening, even if I stall for a while sometimes.

One thing remains true, change of overall perspective regarding dieting is what seems to produce the best results. Be it treating it as a job, a lifestyle, or just life.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am done.

I have been watching my diet and exercising since January. I want to throw in the towel. I don't want to cook, count calories, plan my day around working out, or play the mental games of staying motivated. What do you do when you feel this way?

• What do you do when you feel this way?
    I think about how I felt and looked before I started. Since my memory is poor. I look at my before pictures. At my measurements and my progress.

• I don't want to cook
    I try to keep something on hand that will be easy to throw together. Today I am feeling super unmotivated. I threw together a salad.
    Sometimes I will make a meal replacement smoothie instead of coming up with a whole balanced meal, cooking and cleaning the kitchen too

• I don't want to work out?
    Why? am I too tired or sore from too many workouts?
    I rest.
    Am I just being lazy, like today?
    I will do yoga. If I get more energy, I will do something else too.

• plan my day around working out?
    Sometimes I get up super early ( I am NOT a morning person.at.all) and just workout that way I don't have to fret about it or procrastinate all day.

• play the mental games of staying motivated?
    I *have* to play the games. Motivation, success, failure. They are all about the mind.
    Think about the thing you want.
    Think about WHY you want them.
    Think clearly about the steps that it will take you to achieve you goals.
    Get 'er done!

It's hard to stay motivated. But it is also hard to remain unhappy.
    If your current approach to your goals is not working, change your approach, but do not give up on your goals.
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I could have been the OP who wrote this. I have been feeling like this a lot lately.
    Some of the replies are exactly what I needed to hear.

Thanks...
  • cychogal
    cychogal Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have felt the exact same way, and I know I'll feel that way again. I have considered accepting myself the way I am and just quitting all this. But that's not an option. What does quitting mean? Over eating? Laying around all the time?

I know it's tedious to think about it all the time, and I struggle with that too. There are too many other things going on in our lives for us to focus on this. We don't live on The Biggest Loser Ranch.

You will be miserable if you throw in the towel. Find a way to take a break, or readjust so it's not consuming so much of your thoughts.

I love so much of the advice on the previous posts, and am going to use a lot of that myself.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options

This of it like a job. If you didn't go to work every day that you didn't really feel like it, you wouldn't have a job to go to.

That's a great way of looking at it, actually