5K - need advice from all you running pros

Options
sshintaku
sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
I was one who always hated running, and I was always terrible at it. Last month, I finally got myself up to a 5k distance at about an 11 min mile. I was ecstatic, and signed myself up for a 5k at the end of May. So then, two weeks ago, I got hit with a bad case of bronchitis and couldn't do anything that remotely made my lungs work. Needless to say, I did not do much running.

This week, I'm finally well again and have been trying to get back into preparation mode, but I feel like I've completely fallen off the running wagon! I did 1.5 miles this morning and I was exhausted! What is the best way to get myself back up to par? Strategies? Ratio of running to resting? I'm one who feels like I need to run and run and run to make up for lost time, but I know that's probably not the best strategy. Any secret tips from you folks who love to run?

Replies

• schellina
    schellina Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My attitude was the biggest game changer in my running. I used to get so focused on reaching a certain distance or running a certain speed that I took the joy out of running. I would force myself to run when I didn't want to and it made me miserable the entire time. There is something to be said for setting goals and accomplishing them or holding yourself accountable. However, when I changed my attitude towards running, it suddenly became enjoyable again. Nowadays, I run as far as I want, as fast as I want, and as often as I feel like. Some weeks that means running 3 times averaging 4-5 miles. Some weeks that means running once and reaching 10 miles. And some weeks that means not running at all. :) Listen to your body.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Your lungs are more than likely still recovering which is probably why you're exhausted. A 2 week hiatus wouldn't have effected you that much.

I'd just ease slowly into it. If you have to take breaks and walk then take breaks and walk.
  • WildCatClimbs
    WildCatClimbs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yeah bronchitis is nasty! 2 weeks off really won't set you back much if at all, so don't stress. Breaks and rest are JUST as important as training, particularly if your body needs to heal. Also, of note is it takes me personally at least 1.5-2 miles to even feel good and in stride, so usually once I push through those first few crappy miles I feel worlds better. But most importantly, just listen to your body. Even if this means this 5k coming up doesn't go as well as you hoped, don't sweat it. Sign up for another! Remember not to beat yourself up, there is always another day, another race

A cool thing I read once: Don't trust the first mile and the last mile, they are liars :)
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'd try again tomorrow or the next day. No two runs are alike so it could just be that you had a bad running day. Keep at it, though. Also, don't worry too much about your first 5k. The adrenaline on race day will help get you to the finish.

Good luck!
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'd try again tomorrow or the next day. No two runs are alike so it could just be that you had a bad running day. Keep at it, though. Also, don't worry too much about your first 5k. The adrenaline on race day will help get you to the finish.

Good luck!

I agree with Dee! Also - even though you had two weeks off you will find that you will regain your running conditioning faster than it took you to reach the point where you were when you got sick initially (if that makes sense). It won't take as long for your body to get back to the running shape it was in. Don't be too hard on yourself and just take it day by day and do what your body feels comfortable with. If you push too hard you may risk getting sick again! Good luck :)
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    A cool thing I read once: Don't trust the first mile and the last mile, they are liars :)

For those of us that run distance I would even change that to first 2-3 miles but otherwise brilliant! ❤️

OP: just take it nice and easy with your runs now. Don't race until race day. You were working hard and making progress before you got ill and that didn't just *poof* disappear. You've got this!
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the positive input guys!