Quit Birth Control & Quit Smoking - Advice?

Options
Hi there, I quit Cerazette birth control pills four months ago and now quit smoking. Despite maintaining my weight and exercising regularly, I shot up two kilos or 4 1/2 pounds. Still can't seem to shake it that much and I'm worried I'll gain a bit more. Any advice or tips?

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about birth control, but quitting smoking results in weight gains for most people, although that's because they usually start eating more when they quit. I can' t see your diary so I can't even guess at what you might be doing with your diet.

I quit smoking a little over a year ago. I gained weight, but I don't think it was because I had quit smoking, I think it was because I intentionally started eating more when I started cycling 100+ miles/ week. Also, I quit using e-cigarettes. If it wasn't for those, I'm pretty sure I would have ballooned big time.

I saw this thread and declined to comment, since I don't have any solid advice for you. But then I saw the thread you posted yesterday giving people advice on how to quit smoking without gaining weight., so I came back to this one. Don't you think maybe you ought to delete that thread before someone stumbles across it and gets the mistaken idea that you know what you're talking about?
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    As for quitting birth control, you should probs use a condom or else you'll gain a lot of weight ;-)
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that the body stops being addicted to nicotine after 48 hours. After that, it's up to us to keep from smoking because your body no longer craves it.

My advice is to tell yourself, it's only two days. You can do this for two days.

After that, you'll likely feel the need to feed, so carrot sticks, celery sticks, kale chips, cucumber slices...anything that's crunchy and low in calories. When you want to slow down on the munchies, give yourself set times for snacks and adhere to it.

One day at a time. After two days, it's all you!

Disclaimer: This is what would work for me because I do well with a plan and timetable.

Congratulations on the smoking cessation!

As for the 4 1/2 pound gain, your hormones can take up to a year to readjust after stopping birth control, so chalk it up to water weight and keep doing what you were doing. It'll go away.
  • dianalee9
    dianalee9 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that the body stops being addicted to nicotine after 48 hours. After that, it's up to us to keep from smoking because your body no longer craves it.

^^^This!!!

You may feel like you're still craving it after 2 days, but you're likely craving the physical addiction of doing something with your hands, you won't be craving the nicotine. There are nicotine free e-cigs available. I bought one when I quit and it really helped. I quit last year at the beginning of July and haven't looked back.
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking cold turkey on October 25th of 2013. Its rough the first week, I'm not sure if that's true about 48 hours (not discrediting any doctors) but it took me a week to stop shaking. Perhaps this depends on how long you've smoked? Who knows. The rest however is up to you, It really is a habit, when you're in the car, after a meal, to have an excuse to take a break at work, while drinking etc It really is mind over matter and I truly believe that once you get there mentally and REALLY want to do it, you can, the same with weight loss! However, I did gain some weight after quitting because food tasted so much better and I wasn't watching myself.

As far as birth control, I would consult your doctor perhaps it is the change in hormones etc. Good luck!
  • Jacob021
    Jacob021 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in February.

The craving for Nicotine the first week was really bad... the second a bit better.... now I rarely think about it.
    I think if you go past the first week, it is much easier. After the month , you are ok

Now regarding weight.
    After quitting, I had serious appetite and wanted to eat all the time. Inevitably, I started gaining weight.
    Then I had the second OMG moment, when I stepped one a scale... and 50 days ago joined MFP

I 've already lost almost 30 lbs since and feel healthier with more energy than ever before
  • soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I just hit 73 hours of not smoking after about a pack a day for 10+ years. I'm expecting to snack like crazy so I come prepared to work: salads, fresh fruit, granola, nuts, etc. and drinking TONS of water to flush my system.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Didn't you lose weight getting off of birth control?

Try chewing on carrots and/or celery. You might want to retrain your oral fixation.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Way back when I quit I tried to chew alot of gum instead of snacking during those cravings. If I did snack I would try to make it healthy fruits and veggies. That should help minimize the weight gain.
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well, the advice was that your gut health is a bit messed up from smoking, so I've started to eat more yogurt and actimel, then from the forums, I've upped my exercise to every day, I've lowered my calories to 100 calories less a day. My weight has now stabilised over the last two weeks, so that seems to work for me. It's the issue with quitting birth control that seems to mess with me at the moment, so now I'm also on herbal supplements for regulating hormones, iron and a good multivitamin. I hope that helps. The small snacking was what someone told me as well, so I reduced my main meals to a bit less to curb urges. So far so good and feeling a lot better and able to exercise for longer and sleep better now. Thanks for the advice!