Salmon.. help! :)

Options
klogetsfit_
klogetsfit_ Posts: 18 Member
Hello all,
I bought fresh salmon fillets and I wanted to have some ideas as to how to season it.
I'll be baking it. Ideas please ^_^

Also.. Do you think wild rice would go well as a side? Or any recommendations? Maybe a fresh salad?

Thank you!! :heart:

Replies

• DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Dijomn mustard + chopped fresh dill or shiro (white) miso + a touch of honey and a touch sesame oil.

I eat salmon with salad, broccoli or asparagus, green beans, brown rice, couscous... it depends of the seasoning and what I'm craving for.
  • mama_cattt
    mama_cattt Posts: 17
    Options
    I like lemon and thyme with salmon. I usually add fresh or dried thyme, salt, black pepper, and a small amount of olive oil to the fish and let it set while the oven is preheating.

Slice some lemons into circles, and arrange around, under, on the fish in your baking pan. You can add some veggies to the pan too (carrots work great) if you'd like them for a side.

Bake in the oven and enjoy!
  • BrittDoesIt
    BrittDoesIt Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It would be great with wild rice! I cook mine with a little bit of lemon juice, salt pepper, maybe garlic and onion powder, I like to keep it pretty simple.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Lemon pepper and rosemary are good
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Cook it "en papillote" - stays moist and amazing .... I place it loosely (lots of air around it) in a sealed paper or foil pouch (with a drop of white wine, a slice of garlic and loads of black pepper)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I really like a cajun marinade on my salmon. Started with getting them that way from the fish counter at the grocery store then they stopped doing that so I found my own bottled marinade that worked well. Lawry now has a cajun marinade w/ Zatarain spices that's pretty good. 2nd fave is A1's Chicago steakhouse marinade.

Bake for 20-25 min (depending on thickness of cut) at 400 F

For sides, my go to is white rice (I hardly eat any of it so Hubs gets his choice) with broccoli or Caesar salad.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Ancho chili powder and a little maple syrup. BOOM delicious.
  • lwanbaugh81
    lwanbaugh81 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    A little store bought (or homemade if I have the time) pesto with some chopped garlic added to it, slather it on the top into the oven it goes!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I love salmon... but I prefer to grill steaks, I like to use this rub and it does work nice on filets also
    Stole this from Alton Brown

1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
    1 teaspoon whole coriander seed
    1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seed
    1 teaspoon dry green peppercorns
    Sea salt or kosher salt

I toast that, throw it in the pepper mill, put some olive oil on the salmon and then a healthy amount of that rub.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I bake salmon "en papillote" (in a paper parcel) in the oven on a bed of vegetables (any veg) cut into sticks

I season the salmon with lemon and chilly

I place a large piece of baking parchment into a baking dish
    fill it with the veg (i use: celeriac, carrot, parsnip, sugar snap, mange tout, fennel - anything you like)
    place the salmon on top
    place lemon slices on the salmon
    then poor in 1/2 glass of white wine
    then fold in the sides of the paper and fold it closed

I bake at 180C for 20-30 minutes
    the salmon and veg bake but also steam in their own juices and in the wine creating it's own sauce

folding an "en papillote" parcell takes a bit of practice especially if you want to put liquid in it - but it tastes great (and creates very little washing up)

i don't serve this with anything else as i tend to use some carby veg in the papillote but you could and wild rice is always nice
  • cmich123
    cmich123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My hubby doesn't always like things too hot, and salmon is his favorite fish, so I sprinkle my salmon with a bit of pepper and onion and garlic powder (not too much!) and cover and bake at 375 for about 10 minutes. Then I mix together even amounts of Dijon mustard and either honey or syrup (about two tablespoons each for 1 pound of salmon) and spread half of it evenly over the fish, and bake an additional 10 minutes or until the salmon is done. Remove it from the oven and spread the rest on the salmon right before serving. This is absolutely delicious!!!
  • cmich123
    cmich123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My hubby doesn't always like things too hot, and salmon is his favorite fish, so I sprinkle my salmon with a bit of pepper and onion and garlic powder (not too much!) and cover and bake at 375 for about 10 minutes. Then I mix together even amounts of Dijon mustard and either honey or syrup (about two tablespoons each for 1 pound of salmon) and spread half of it evenly over the fish, and bake an additional 10 minutes or until the salmon is done. Remove it from the oven and spread the rest on the salmon right before serving. This is absolutely delicious!!!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Broil it for about 8-10 minutes (depending on the thickness) and then pull it out of the oven, pour a little bit of Teriyaki sauce on top and then broil for another 1-2 minutes. Just be careful that you don't burn the Teriyaki sauce.
  • blakedebo
    blakedebo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I bake my salmon with (real) maple syrup over it.... yummy!
    Enjoy:)
  • rwieber
    rwieber Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Best and easiest thing I do with it.....cut lemons and put on bottom of pyrex dish. Lie fish on top of lemon, sprinkle garlic salt, lemon pepper and dill on top of fish, pour some wine in the bottom of the dish (I don't measure but enough to almost cover the bottom of the dish...) put foil over the pan and cook for anywhere from 20-40 min depending on how much fish you use. My family LOVES it and we usually eat some kind of veggie and long grain wild rice with it....YUM!
  • fowlerly
    fowlerly Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I know you said you'd be baking it, but I prefer to cook salmon outdoors so my house doesn't stink of fish for the next few days. I like to use Redfish Magic Cajun blackening seasoning, and "blacken" the filets. I spray the filets with olive oil, sprinkle & pat the seasonings on the non-skin side, and then put them in a very hot pre-heated cast-iron skillet on the side burner of my gas grill. Put them in skin-side up, turn the heat to medium high, cook for about 4-5 minutes (depending on thickness 3 minutes might be enough) then turn and cook for another 4-5 minutes. When you take them out of the pan the skin will stick to it, so that just the filets can be transferred to a platter. I serve them with fresh lemons, and a dill sauce made of Dijon mustard, Light mayo, fresh dill weed, onion powder and a little "light" sour cream. Personally, all I need is the fresh lemon juice for seasoning, but the family likes the dill sauce too. I serve it with fresh broccoli & brown or wild rice. A baked sweet potato goes really well, too.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Ground ginger, soy sauce, pinch of brown sugar, dijon mustard , table spoon olive oil .....mix together ...pour on top bake
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    * Following :)