a alternative to crisps

Options
i love crisps and its my biggest down fall however this year i'm going to cut down and since new year i've only had two small packets,usually by now i would be on my 20th or so. what a good healthy alternative to snack on at night.

Replies

• pixies23
    pixies23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try rice cakes you can get them with a chili powder on the top or caramel flavoured. I know it doesn't sound as good as crisps, but they are suprisingly nice! Or try Snack a Jacks, they are a rice crisp. Very tasty and have lots of flavours. Good luck!!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    pop chips are really good, but IDK if you can get them where you are (you are using british terms so...I'm guessing you are British?):flowerforyou:
  • Notsocorny
    Options
    I like rice crackers. those have a lot for a small amount of calories. You can definitely try those!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    There is a recipe for baked kale on here. It’s basically a type of lettuce but when mixed with olive oil pepper and salt (if your sodium level can handle it) it apparently tastes incredibly similar to chips/crisp.

The low-fat chip creations have much more processed sugar and chemicals in them so if you need to have chips/crisps once and a while, eat a small bowl of the regular stuff and count it into your day.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is a good alternative. It is high in fiber and I've read that i can help you sleep. Not sure if that's true but it sounds good, right? Obviously don't go for the super-yummy, buttery kind. :happy:
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    you could make your own....the effort alone will cause you to eat fewer less often and they are less processed and so much nummier! I found a good recipe for baked rather than fried that I made new year's weekend to eat with a FAB crab dip I made.

Here's the link to the recipe I found: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/oven-fried_potato_chips/

I should mention: I used less butter than the recipe called for, about 1/3 less and after the first lot got too black i turned the oven down from 500 F to 475 F and reduced the oven time by 5 min.
  • katieloui16
    Options
    Banana chips are available in most stores i'm pretty sure, and are a bit sugary but still much better for you than crisps.
    I also find they hit that snacking spot you need with crisps :) However, they are quite high in fat & sat fat.

Perhaps baked crisps? I hear walkers do a range, and are a lot lower in cals and fat.
    Haven't checked whether you live in Britain, but in our Sainsbury's they have a 'be good to yourself' range of crisps that I have to still get my fix (crisp addict also!) that come in flavours like paprika and thai sweet chilli and are about 2g per pack, a much better alternatives when you think others stack up to 11g!

Or, if you have the willpower to go cold turkey on crisps altogether, perhaps some nuts? Still a crunchy texture and undoubtedly more filling.
  • dinacav
    dinacav Posts: 12
    Options
    When I have a big craving, I get Baked Lays and put them in single serving baggies. That way, I can have some without going overboard. I also try to munch on pretzels and Cheese Nip thin crisps instead. :)
  • smithy74
    Options
    pop chips are really good, but IDK if you can get them where you are (you are using british terms so...I'm guessing you are British?):flowerforyou:

yip im scottish/british
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i like ryvita crackerbreads taste lovely on their own or with filling and only 19 calories each
  • ambrchrstn
    Options
    I buy whole grain tostitos and have chips and salsa when I feel like I need a crunchy snack. But as soon as I get a bag I divide it into single serving portions so I don't over eat. I do the same with Triscuts and RiceWorks chips, which are a really tasty chip made from whole grain brown rice. There fantastic to snack as well.
  • smithy74
    Options
    i like ryvita crackerbreads taste lovely on their own or with filling and only 19 calories each

i love the morrisons own make of them,usually have a couple with low fat spread for lunch
  • smithy74
    Options
    had a new snack tonight,sliced raw mixed peppers with a natural low fat bio yogurt yip,put a drop of hot chilli sauce in it to jazz it up,lovely it was and the peppers are crunchy,not like a crisp but still crunchy lol
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    well done!
  • rawdefault
    Options
    I would also recommend baked kale chips and microwave-popped, butterless, saltless popcorn.
    You can also make your own crisps by getting a tortilla (multigrain!), cutting it into crisp-size pieces, sprinkling on some Moroccan seasoning (or whatever you like) and baking/grilling until crispy. I use these for my special healthy nacho recipe :)
  • bekkyhughes
    Options
    If you're in the UK, go lidl and get some Pom-bears. 97 calories a pack.