Confused

Options
susan749
susan749 Posts: 14 Member
I have set myself at 1250 calories. I have read so much and don't understand about TDEE, etc. I have today made a commitment to do this consistently. Calorie counting, keeping track, etc. has been sporadic. I eat the calories I burn when I exercise. I have not lost.any weight. I have been told I am not eating enough. I am currently 150 pounds, 5'1" and 67 years old. I would like to lose 10 pounds. Anyone have insight to share? Thank you in advance

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My first guess is overestimating exercise burns, not undereating. How much do you count for exercise a day? And the inconsistency in tracking and measuring is for sure a part of the problem. You are likely eating at maintenance.

I would try eating between 1400-1600 calories depending on your needs for the day and see how that treats you.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and I weigh and measure everything I put in my mouth. I do not eat back all my exercise calories just in case I misjudged the calories burned or entered something incorrectly. Feel free to look at my diary. I walk, aerobics and hand weights. I am limited on my exercise regime due to having 2 failed spinal fusion surgeries. Good luck and stay strong. I am also 5'1" and currently 123 lbs.
  • susan749
    Options
    I use a polar heart rate monitor to know calories burned
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Getting the calories and logging consistent should take care of the problem then. :happy:
  • Mari726
    Mari726 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 60, and it is harder to loose weight . Matter of fact, in my 50's I could still drop weight fairly easily. On another note, I have found that I HAVE to track everything that graces my mouth, because it is just so very easy to underestimate. The calories build up quickly and I am amazed at how many calories are in "just a little bite." I have diligently logged this week and so far, down 2 lbs., and that is without exercise. Making myself start with the exercise tomorrow. Also, if you don't have much to loose, it is slower. I would like to loose 13 more lbs and I know it will be tedious.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

If the HRM gives you an accurate estimated calculation or not depends on both settings and use for the right activities. HRMs are good for tracking certain activities and useless for others.
  • susan749
    Options
    I only use the HRM at the gym