*HELP!* I keep pulling muscles in my legs!

Options
Growing up, I was always well above average in long distance running. I NEVER had a problem doing it. Once I graduated high school, I pretty much did nothing, but sit/lay on my bed playing video games (not entirely true, a little exaggerated, but you get my point). I've been out of high school for five years now. I'm trying to lose 20 lbs so I can join the Air Force. So I decided that I would get back to running. I joined a gym. Spent majority of the time on the treadmill. I stretched at the beginning and the end.

My first pulled muscle happened on the 2nd day on the treadmill. I pulled my groin. I took some time off of cardio, then when I came back to it, my groin wasn't 100% healed, but it was bearable. It wasn't long until I got JUMPERS KNEE. :/ That set me back for over a month.

After that month, the snow on the ground was melted, so the need to go to the gym was non-existent. This was three days ago. I found this running program that is made to prepare people for Air Force Basic Training.
Week 1

Complete the following in one session 3-5 times a week:

5 minute stretch/warm-up
2 minute sit-up/push-up intervals
5 minute walk
1 minute jog
5 minute walk
1 minute jog
3-5 minute walk
2 minute stretch

then with each week, the jog time increases while the walk time decreases.

The first day was fine, but it wasn't until after I sat down that both of my thigh BONES were in pain, also felt like I was beginning to get jumpers knee in my left knee. (first jumpers knee was my right knee). I iced both knees and took a day off.

Knees healed, but thighs still felt sore. I'm pretty sure my actual bones aren't hurting, it's probably pulled muscles.

Today I went on a 2nd run. During the 1st one minute jog I felt that I couldn't run without limping because of my right thigh/quad. By the end of the run both of my inner thighs feel as if they're pulled. My left calf is pulled.

I'm not sure exactly which muscle is pulled, but I get pain on the inner thigh when I lay down and put my knees together.

I'm now here elevating my legs and icing them, along with taking ibuprofen.

I really can't afford to have anymore resting time. I need to lose this 20 lbs as fast as I can.

Any suggestions? Is this happening because I went from little to no physical activity, to this? I assumed that my muscle memory would kick in and remember that it can do long distance running.

Sorry for this being so long, and probably not very well written, but I'm in a hurry at the moment. Gotta go feed the horses.

I need help obviously! :)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you don't need exercise to lose weight..you need a calorie deficet and you can get that from reducing your intake.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You need to properly and thoroughly stretch.
  • aj_sklorenko_reed
    Options
    Along with the stretching, maybe it would be best to start out walking. Especially if your body isn't used to running anymore.
    Work your way up to running, or you'll permanently injure yourself.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a stretching and weight training regimen. You keep pulling muscles because your muscles are either tight, weak, or both. Stretching (like for an hour or two a day, intensive thorough stretches), and doing leg exercises will strengthen your legs so you are better able to run.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    You need to properly and thoroughly stretch.
    Stretching DOESN'T PREVENT injury.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You're trying to hard too fast and with the weight gain, your unconditioned muscles are getting over taxed.

As mentioned, weight loss happens with diet, not exercise. Exercise is for health and fitness.

If you want get fit, you start at the fitness level you can ACHIEVE without getting injured.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MuscleHeadNerd74
    MuscleHeadNerd74 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Ok first off I'll give you background on me I have over 11 years in the army 8 active and the rest reserve... As one post reply indicated you do not need cardio to lose the weight, reduce your caloric intake and use carb cycling read up on it...just Google it... second you need to go get your knee checked out I have bad left knee also which is why I can no longer sqaut as much as I use to... After you get your knee checked out do light jog for 2 miles then steady increase your speed as far as help for cardio purpose do burst training meaning high intensity for short periods like 30 to 60 second s and rest in between do about 3 to 5 sets works wonders also incorporate IF... You'll make it easy especially air force they're requirements are easier then the army... Good luck stay focused determined and set your goals you'll get it dude dueces
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Hey I can relate to your frustration. I got jumper's knee (patella tendonitis) in both knees a couple years ago. Ever since then it's felt like nothing's been the same and I keep getting recurring lower body injuries (hip flexor, ankles and just general sorness). My advice to take it easy, build up slowly, dynamic warmups, weight training (especially your glutes), foam rolling, massage and cross training
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Well these aren't muscle pulls you're experiencing. Muscle pulls(strains), are extremely painful. Like fall on the ground grabbing the muscle while screaming painful. There would be redness and swelling which will give way to a pretty gnarly bruise. When you strain a muscle you know it for sure. You'll have that oh crap moment when you know something bad just happened (snap, crackle, pop)and you will know exactly where because it will hurt like hell. What you are going through is likely a combination of muscle pain and soreness brought on by the impact and probably cramps as well. Yes it's happening because you are out of shape. Muscle memory doesn't work that way. That's like a power lifter thinking he can squat 500 pounds after he hasn't touched a weight in two years because he thinks his muscles will remember they can squat that much. You need to start with walking which will strengthen your muscles, tendons, and ligaments allow your body adjust to the impact. It will take time,but you will get there. Don't start running until you can walk a few miles every day without any pain or soreness in your legs, otherwise you are going to pull something for real.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    What kind of stretching are you doing? If it is static stretching, you should probably switch to a few walking lunges, butt kicks, high knees and arm stretches. Holding stretches before exercise can actually lead to injury instead of prevent it...or so I have heard.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Just for information: jumpers knee (patellar tendinitis) is chronic once you get it. Basically all tendinitis is. The common cause is OVERUSE or EXCESSIVE repetition of a movement to cause the inflammation of the tendon.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What kind of stretching are you doing? If it is static stretching, you should probably switch to a few walking lunges, butt kicks, high knees and arm stretches. Holding stretches before exercise can actually lead to injury instead of prevent it...or so I have heard.
    You are referring to "dynamic stretching" which sole purpose is to warm up muscles and connective tissue (increase blood flow) for intended use. But as I've mentioned, several clinical studies have shown that stretching (whether dynamic or static) doesn't prevent injuries from occurring. In fact one would be hard pressed to find a study that supports it does prevent it.
    Stretching is basically for flexibility. How flexible one wants to be will dictate how much time they should put into stretching.
    The point being stretching isn't the issue here.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Jeffv2
    Jeffv2 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes I'm aware that a good diet is best for weight loss, but with no exercise, I wont be in shape for Basic Training. Thank you everyone for your advice! I just find it hard to believe how out of shape I am. Especially with my athletic background. Today, i'll grab the phone, listen to some music, swallow my pride and go on a walk.
    You guys are awesome :)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, because I've had tendon/muscle problems over the years (from overuse as a teenager in my case) and it is EXCRUTIATINGLY FRUSTRATING. Plus you have a deadline.

I would go to a doctor, even if you have to spend $$$, and get their opinion on (a) what the problem(s) could be, and (b) what to do to recover as quickly and thoroughly as possible, including a list of recommended exercises. I would stress my deadline for basic training - they should give you their honest advice on how best to do your best.

In my case, stretching makes no difference. In fact I've been advised to stretch AFTER exercise, if I want to, and never before, because it can aggravate my tendons.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Yes I'm aware that a good diet is best for weight loss, but with no exercise, I wont be in shape for Basic Training. Thank you everyone for your advice! I just find it hard to believe how out of shape I am. Especially with my athletic background. Today, i'll grab the phone, listen to some music, swallow my pride and go on a walk.
    You guys are awesome :)
    Stick to the basics with calisthenics. Push ups, jumping jacks and burpees will still work on your conditioning. Just make sure that you don't over do it on those too.

IDEA Fitness member