• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Parmesan cheese
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic
    0 cal butter spray

Does this actually exist?? Seems like an uber oxymoron!

it is an oxymoron. The labelling laws in the USA are such that something can call itself zero calorie if there are fewer than a certain number of calories in each serving. The serving size for products like oil/butter sprays are tiny so they can claim they are zero calorie when they are not. In fact they contain the same number of calories as regular oil and butter.

this offends the maths geek in me, because zero multiplied by anything is still zero, yet if you multiply the serving sizes of these products, the result is *not* zero calories. Therefore they shouldn't be able to claim zero calories based on a small serving size.

This unfortunately confuses people, because they believe it really does have zero calories, and so use a whole huge serving of it at one time and it puts them way over on their calories. And while they may be naive in thinking this, their maths is correct, because if one serving size really does contain zero calories, then a million servings should still contain zero calories....
  • erelyl
    erelyl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've become a fan of Epicure seasoning mixes. Many are no or low salt, and while they tend to come with recommended uses and recipes, i just go with whatever blend i'm "feeling" mix it with the veggies and then steam, or toss a little with the already cooked food. Current favorites are the Herb&Garlic dip mix (which i also toss with a little warm cream and pasta to make a quick "alfredo" style sauce that kiddo loves) the roast chicken blend, taco seasoning, and the roasted garlic hummus mix. My other favorite is a squeeze of fresh lemon. I've never been one to add butter or margarine to my veggies, to be honest, most of the time i'd rather the plain veggie with nothing at all added.
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    BUMP for when I am at home.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Cheese.

I usually just use salt and pepper if I use anything but then I don't eat veg (fresh or frozen) for its amazing flavor, so eating it unseasoned makes no difference to me.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    -lemon juice and minced garlic
    -curry powder
    -Italian herb seasoning blend
    -herb de provence seasoning blend
    -cayenne pepper
    -parm cheese
    -hot sauce (I like cholula sauce)
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I usually just put a bit of salt and pepper on them.

You could try some garlic powder or Italian seasoning too.

^^ also, consider lemon-pepper.
  • TimmyTriedTooHard
    Options
    Nutritional Yeast Flakes!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I season my veggies with many different flavors of Mrs. Dash (0 cal and no sodium) I have 5 different ones and at this moment the Extra Spicy is my favorite. I use Mrs. Dash for seasoning my meat and salads too.

I love the Extra Spicy too! So good in my lentil and veggie soup, pasta sauce, chili etc etc
  • ruthieoftx
    ruthieoftx Posts: 11
    Options
    Dill! Especially yummy on broccoli and cauliflower.