Introducing ME! Dieting like mad b4 GASTRIC SURGERY

Options
CatJF1968
CatJF1968 Posts: 29 Member
Hello all,

I'm Catherine. Let me tell you a bit about myself and my journey...

I'm attending an NHS Weight Management Program (started Nov 2013 and ongoing until Nov 2014). I am on the pathway to receiving gastric bypass surgery early next year. The purpose of the program is to guide and educate a healthier way to eat alongside all the psychological changes that need to be made, to enable the weight to stay off.

My reasons for losing this weight are for a better quality of life. I suffer from the following (weight-related) conditions:
Osteoarthritis of the knees, torn meniscus, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes; and I'm on medication for them all, plus awaiting a knee op!

I started out at 20 stone 10 lbs (Oct 13) and I now weigh 19 stone 4 lbs (as of 15th May 2014).

My own personal target is to lose this weight as soon as possible (I'm in a LOT of pain!) and to lose it BEFORE the gastric surgery. I know I can do it.

I hope to be able to find some support in this community and maybe make some friends along the way. :)

Thanks for reading,

Catherine

Replies

• aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Why don't you carry on losing the weight through diet instead of surgery.

You are doing really well and your illnesses will get better the more you lose without all the side affects of gastric surgery?
  • fequick
    fequick Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm hoping you reach your goals and complete your journey. I found out about roca labs just a couple of days ago. I too, was seriously considering Gastric. I'm taking another shot at this weight loss thing before I take the plunge and start the process. I'm gonna also try the non surgical bypass roca labs first to see if that will help also. Be blessed on your journey.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd post a welcome message for you before others came on to lambast you for your decision to have weight loss surgery. If you spend any amount of time on the forums, you'll discover that bariatric surgery is not something that is widely held as a good weight loss tool. You'll take a bunch of crap from people just for announcing your intention to get it.

I had the RNY (gastric bypass) 20 months ago. You can see the results from my picture and ticker. Best decision I ever made. What I suggest is that you check out one of the bariatric groups on these forums. I'm a member of a few of them, and this one is by far the most active:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

Many of us in there are going through their insurance mandated nutrition programs and waiting for surgery. There is a bunch of advice there already, and we all love to answer questions. I highly recommend you stop by and join the group.

EDIT: I was beaten to the punch. The first reply proves my point exactly.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weightloss so far, you've made a great start. I wish you well for your surgery.
    If you want a friend then add me. We all have our different journeys to take, the important thing is to reach our goal :)
  • gmove
    gmove Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It is true; members are highly judgemental of weight loss surgeries. I, too, am judgmental about the lack of will, HOWEVER, you cited pain as a leading problem and I get it. I also have it. I understand your rush to relieve the pain. Luckily, moderate exercise helps my pain.

Good luck!
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    There can be side effects for the surgery. My wife has to have iron infusions every 6 months at the cancer institute because of hers.

But for your knees sake, good luck.
  • CatJF1968
    Options
    Hi there,

Yes, that is my aim. Especially since I read about 'dumping syndrome'.... EEEK

I want to lose all my weight.

Catherine :)
  • CatJF1968
    Options
    Thank you :) and good luck to you too.
  • CatJF1968
    Options
    Hey!

People can throw at me whatever they want! I will just assume they haven't read my post properly :)

I haven't decided to have gastric surgery.... my health professionals have. I have decided to lose the excess weight BEFORE surgery.

There's a big difference.

Thanks,
    Catherine
  • CatJF1968
    Options
    Thank you. I have added you. Nice to meet you.
  • dwoodmanjr
    dwoodmanjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Catherine,

I wish you the best of luck on your Journey, I had the gastric band surgery in April 2012 and it was the best decision I've made. I also had a large weight loss prior to the surgery - so much so the Surgeon in our pre-op meeting specifically asked that if I was so successful without the surgery, do I really want to have (I had lost 71 pounds prior to the surgery). For me, knowing that it was there and that I can not slide back into bad habits is the kick in the *kitten* I needed.

David
  • CatJF1968
    Options
    Why don't you carry on losing the weight through diet instead of surgery.

You are doing really well and your illnesses will get better the more you lose without all the side affects of gastric surgery?

Hi there,

Yes, that is my aim. Especially since I read about 'dumping syndrome'.... EEEK

I want to lose all my weight.

Catherine :)
  • CatJF1968
    Options
    I thought I'd post a welcome message for you before others came on to lambast you for your decision to have weight loss surgery. If you spend any amount of time on the forums, you'll discover that bariatric surgery is not something that is widely held as a good weight loss tool. You'll take a bunch of crap from people just for announcing your intention to get it.

I had the RNY (gastric bypass) 20 months ago. You can see the results from my picture and ticker. Best decision I ever made. What I suggest is that you check out one of the bariatric groups on these forums. I'm a member of a few of them, and this one is by far the most active:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

Many of us in there are going through their insurance mandated nutrition programs and waiting for surgery. There is a bunch of advice there already, and we all love to answer questions. I highly recommend you stop by and join the group.

EDIT: I was beaten to the punch. The first reply proves my point exactly.

Hey!

People can throw at me whatever they want! I will just assume they haven't read my post properly :)

I haven't decided to have gastric surgery.... my health professionals have. I have decided to lose the excess weight BEFORE surgery.

There's a big difference.

Thanks,
    Catherine
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Good luck with the weight loss, and the surgery if you decide to go ahead.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options

Good on YOU!! :smile: :flowerforyou:

I do hope people see this and read it before this thread goes all crazy.

Sending you a request
  • CatJF1968
    Options
    How the heck do you delete posts on here?!! Just realised I'm meant to reply using
  • weightabllodyminute
    Options
    Hello Catherine , I wish you well with your weight loss , which ever way you achieve it. I am just starting out on my weight loss { down about 30LB so far , must update my profile :smile: } . I also have a seriously damaged knee , though I have been very fortunate not to have any issues re diabetes , heart disease , cholestral etc. I am using a low carb high fat diet which I am doing ok with , it seems to offer help for your conditions and may be worth a wee look into
    cheers
    J
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! I commend for making ANY decision that leads you to a healthier, pain free life. I'd love to follow your journey! So proud of you already! Feel free to add me. :-)
  • CatJF1968
    Options
    It is true; members are highly judgemental of weight loss surgeries. I, too, am judgmental about the lack of will, HOWEVER, you cited pain as a leading problem and I get it. I also have it. I understand your rush to relieve the pain. Luckily, moderate exercise helps my pain.

Good luck!

Yes, as mentioned previously I do intend to lose my weight instead of having that surgery. I have great will-power, I gave up smoking 5 years ago and I've lost 20lbs already. So I'm hoping to go the natural route. I agree also, exercise helps osterarthritis. There is nothing worse than non activity to make you stiffen up and need crutches.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Catherine,

You can do it! We can always change the path we are on. In January of this year I was 199.5 and my blood sugar was over 100 at my physical for the first time in my life. I decided not to continue down that path, and now I am almost 50 lbs. lighter and I am lifting weights.

I am 52, and if I can do it, you can do it too! Just keep at it and keep a positive attitude. I have found 45% protein, 35% carbs, 20% fat works for me, but everybody is different. Whatever is working for you, just keep doing it!

Best wishes to you!