What to bring for lunch

Options
I have been a member on myfitnesspal since Sept 2009 and have lost about 20 pounds. My eating habits have changed drastically but I'm getting bored with my lunches that I bring to work. I can't seem to break out of the turkey sandwich rut. Any suggestions? Also, any alternatives to going out for lunch as well besides Subway sandwiches?

Thanks and look forward to eating your ideas.:smile:

Replies

• louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hope these ideas help, make take a littlemore prep, but variety is the spice of life.

Over the winter I take a thermos with homemade soup in, with maybe some oatcakes or pitta bread.
    Wholewheat pasta salad with chopped up peppers, spring onions, maybe some tuna, chicken or prawns.
    Cous cous with roast veg (have it hot for dinner one day and make extra to have cold for lunch)
    Sushi
    jacket potatoes with beans/cottage cheese/tuna & sweetcorn if you have a microwave or are eating lunch out

Hope these hele

Louise
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, I eat vegetables with hummus and a couple of ak mak. If I'm super busy, or super hungry, on a given day, I'll add a cup of soup or a bowl of oatmeal or an apple. (Or leftovers from dinner the night before).

I've also thrown a couple of lean cuisine's in the break room freezer.
  • Philsteadman
    Options
    I know what you mean....it's chicken, chicken, chicken for me! :o/
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    How about buying wraps instead? You can always use other fillers like tuna, smoked salmon, boiled egg (instead of turkey) and fill it up with lots of salad leaves, tomatoes, etc :)
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    How about a tuna and bean salad? Or blitz up some peas with mint, lemon and parmesan (the night before), and have it on toast.
  • apfeiff
    apfeiff Posts: 39
    Options
    If you like Egg Salad, I've been making a "healthier" version and instead of bread (I'm low-cal) I make Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    This week I cooked pork tenderloin and roasted massive trays of veggies. I divided them into servings and have been bringing them with me each day.
  • apfeiff
    Options
    I also have a recipe called "Chicken Bake Roma" and this stuff is delicious. You can also make it into a burrito if you'd like.

3 lbs chicken breast (skinless, boneless), cut into 8 pieces
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch chunks (about 4 cups)
    2-3 cups halved mushrooms
    1 can (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped
    1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 tsp dried basil
    1 bay leaf

1. Preheat oven to 425F. Rub both sides of chicken with salt & pepper. Place in a 13x9" roasting pan. Bake chicken for 10 minutes. Place pan on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350F.
    2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, and bay leaf.
    3. Spoon veg mixture evenly over chicken. Cover pan with foil & bake for 35 minutes. Uncover pan and bake until chicken is golden & no longer pink, about 40 minutes longer. Remove bay leaf & serve.

Makes 6 servings
    Calories per serving: 176
    Carbs: 12 g
    Protein: 25g
    Sodium: 387mg
    Fat: 4g
    Cholesterol: 72mg
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    I also have a recipe called "Chicken Bake Roma" and this stuff is delicious. You can also make it into a burrito if you'd like.

3 lbs chicken breast (skinless, boneless), cut into 8 pieces
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch chunks (about 4 cups)
    2-3 cups halved mushrooms
    1 can (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped
    1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 tsp dried basil
    1 bay leaf

1. Preheat oven to 425F. Rub both sides of chicken with salt & pepper. Place in a 13x9" roasting pan. Bake chicken for 10 minutes. Place pan on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350F.
    2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, and bay leaf.
    3. Spoon veg mixture evenly over chicken. Cover pan with foil & bake for 35 minutes. Uncover pan and bake until chicken is golden & no longer pink, about 40 minutes longer. Remove bay leaf & serve.

Makes 6 servings
    Calories per serving: 176
    Carbs: 12 g
    Protein: 25g
    Sodium: 387mg
    Fat: 4g
    Cholesterol: 72mg

This sounds great!! Printing it now!! Thanks for this thread, I am so bored with salads and cut up veggies. Portioned out 2 kinds of homemade soup for this week, very yummy, but a girl can't eat soup everyday!! :wink:
  • lulu_beans
    lulu_beans Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    OMG! That sounds delicious!!!

I have been bringing Michelina's Lean Gourmet meals for a couple weeks, and have found a wide selection of them. I haven't had the same thing twice yet. I have also kept a box of Active Lifestyle cereal with strawberries. It's really good, and I can have it for lunch, or even a snack, as the cereal with FF milk is only 155 calories.

I know what you mean about the lack of variety getting boring, I think that's the reason I went off track originally. Back on now!

Good luck!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I want some of these bean salad recipes ... anyone? anyone?
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I quite enjoy hearty food and being Chinese...I'm just not used to eating sandwiches or salad for lunch...so I made this healthy beef goulash and serve it with brown rice. I make a big pot for the week and it's really filling so maybe this will help?

Healthy beef goulash, serves 6 - 8

What you need:
    A big stew pot like a dutch oven or just a big pot that's safe to go into the oven.
    Stewing beef x 1 kg (I use shin of beef because it's cheap, it's low fat, and hours of cooking it makes me meat super tender!)
    Large onion x 1, chopped in big pieces
    2 carrots, chopped to bite pieces
    2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
    2 Tbs of rapeseed oil (or any healthy vegetable oil will do. Olive oil works, too)
    2 Tbs of flour
    4 Tbs of paprika
    1 Tsp of dried mix herbs
    1 can of peeled tomatoes
    1 cube of beef stock cube (with hot water, about 600ml)
    Salt and pepper

What to do:

Preheat your oven to 170C
    Cut up the beef into bite chunks. You can cut them bigger, smaller, your shout.
    In a big bowl, mix the flour and 1 tbs of paprika. Coat the beef with the flour mixture
    On the stove, heat your big pot on med/high. Don't put the oil in yet, you need a hot pot with cold oil so meat doesn't stick to your pot. Once the pot is smoking A LITTLE BIT, put in 1 tbs of oil and sear the beef in batches. Don't need to cook them, just to brown them on the outside, it seals in the flavor. Once done, put it on a plate and set aside.

In the same pot, put 1 tbs of oil and heat it (medium) for about 10 seconds, toss in your chopped onions and stirfry for about 3 minutes, till the onion become translucent. Throw in the garlic, stirfry that with the onion for a minute. Pour in your plate of beef and 3 tbs of paprika and coat the beef nicely. Pour in the can of peeled tomatoes, crushing them in the pot, stir and mix in with the beef. Add in the mixed herbs and lastly, pour in the beef stock. Make sure everything is incorporated. Put the lid on and shove it in the oven.

Check after 1 hr and 15 minutes, your kitchen should smell so good right now...add in the chopped carrots and mix it in. Lid back on, back into the oven for another 1 hr and 15 minutes. If it looks dry, you can add more beef stock but I've never needed to add more liquid...

While you wait, make some brown rice or whole wheat pasta!

Kcal: 272 per serving (not including rice!)
    Carb: 10
    Fat: 12
    Protein: 30

Afraid I don't know the sodium count...

That is it! Big pot of goodness and has lean protein, tomatoes for antioxidant and a good hearty lunch!

Let me know how it goes if you decide to try it!

Tiffany
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    What about bringing our leftovers? That's what I often do.
  • kennethshaw
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas. I love the strategy of making a lot on Sunday and prewrapping everything. I guess I just need to get off my butt to do the cooking. I figure if I do this, then maybe I can save the turkey sandwich for Friday only. :) I also like the great recipes too. Thanks so much. Just made my lunches much more interesting.
  • kennethshaw
    Options
    If you like Egg Salad, I've been making a "healthier" version and instead of bread (I'm low-cal) I make Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps.

Do tell, what's your "healthier" version? Does it not involve any mayo?
  • apfeiff
    Options
    My version of Egg Salad Wraps:

12 hard-boiled eggs (2 egg yolks removed)
    1 T Best Foods Light Mayo
    3 T French's Yellow Mustard
    couple shakes of Curry Powder
    6 drops Tabasco Sauce
    ~1/4 tsp garlic powder
    salt & pepper, as desired
    1 t dried parsley
    mix in (if desired): cucumber, celery, green onion, pickle/relish
  • apfeiff
    Options
    My version of Egg Salad Wraps:

12 hard-boiled eggs (2 egg yolks removed)
    1 T Best Foods Light Mayo
    3 T French's Yellow Mustard
    couple shakes of Curry Powder
    6 drops Tabasco Sauce
    ~1/4 tsp garlic powder
    salt & pepper, as desired
    1 t dried parsley
    mix in (if desired): cucumber, celery, green onion, pickle/relish

You can also use Miracle Whip, but I go VERY light on the mayo. If I need it to be a thinner/less chunky consistency, I add a little water.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of soup, I LOVE Trader Joe's soups that come in boxes. You could try to change up your turkey sandwich by using different types of mustards or pesto mayo or something like that. Other then that I'm in the same rut. My friend does cheese and lunch meat, hummus and veggies, tuna and crackers.

Thanks for posting this, I'll try back later to see what others have added.
  • Monkey_23
    Options
    U will need canned corn, canned black beans, cilantro, red onions, lime and salt.. (no specific portions u make to like n taste)
    Put ur beans and corn in a bowl (after draining them) dice a whole red onion throw it in the bowl, chop up some cilantro (all depending how much u like cilatro is how much u'd want to add) throw it in the bowl , cut up some limes and get some lime juice in there add some salt stir it all up and u got yourself a good been salad..
    This is a cold salad, goes good along side a blackend season grilled chicken breast or a piece of steak.
  • karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I make a large portion of brown rice, sautee lean ground turkey with spices, steam veggies with seasoning then mix it all together. I divide these into individual portions and eat for lunch every day.