Gained 12 Pound in One Day?!

Options
I know you're not supposed to weigh yourself a lot, but i weighed myself yesterday and I was 235. Then I went to the gym, had a grilled cheese sandwich, and then I weighed 247. I know about water weight, but that's usually only about 6 or so pounds right?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Was it the same scale? Were you wearing the same clothes? Shoes & clothes can easily be 4-8 pounds, so if the first weighin was at home naked before eating/drinking anything for the day and the next one was at the gym, dressed, after eating - you can't really compare the figures.
  • Pucks_and_Balls
    Pucks_and_Balls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Also, are you sure your scale was on balance? Mine can be off by a couple pounds if it's not.
  • P90XBowler
    P90XBowler Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Most likely the batteries, also make sure your scale is on a solid flooring.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Batteries or poop.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Definitely stick to one scale at the same time of day. There's nothing wrong with weighing every day as long as you understand that you need to be focused on the overall trend, not the individual numbers.

Keep in mind that the gym scale is probably less accurate than your scale at home. Lots of people use them, they tend (at least at my gym) to get moved/kicked around a bit, and they're not calibrated very often.

ETA: It was clear in your post if you weighed at the gym, or after the gym at home. If you continue to get wild fluctuations, then I agree with the others you need a new scale/batteries.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    mmmmm grilled cheese = havent had one of those in a logn time
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Is the scale on an uneven surface?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    I know you're not supposed to weigh yourself a lot, but i weighed myself yesterday and I was 235. Then I went to the gym, had a grilled cheese sandwich, and then I weighed 247. I know about water weight, but that's usually only about 6 or so pounds right?

Is that the same day?

If it is, you are measuring the weight of the food and drink you consumed. 16 ounces of water weigh 1 pound. If you drink a lot at while working out that would be part of it. The food would be the rest. And water weight can be much more than 6 pounds in some people, albeit, that would not be the average.
  • SpiderByte
    SpiderByte Posts: 24
    Options
    Even floor, same day, same clothes, batteries were fine.

It's pretty demoralizing when suddenly all the progress you've made is suddenly just gone in the span of a few hours. I mean, I started at 242, and not only have I somehow undone all the progress I've made, I'm even further away, and I don't have any idea as to how the hell it happened.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Think something is wrong with the scale
  • sadiebea25
    sadiebea25 Posts: 72
    Options
    This is why I weigh myself once a week, same time of day, and stay off the scale the rest of the time
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    lol 12 pound in 1 day gained never heard of it :laugh:
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Wow- what kind of cheese was it?

Seriously, this is exactly why you don't weigh yourself more than once per day! Clothes and shoes add more than you think, not to mention everything that you have had to eat or drink which hasn't had time to pass through your system.

You didn't gain 12 pounds from a grilled cheese sandwich. (Unless it was a grilled cheese sandwich on "Man vs. Food.")
  • SpiderByte
    SpiderByte Posts: 24
    Options
    Wow- what kind of cheese was it?

Seriously, this is exactly why you don't weigh yourself more than once per day! Clothes and shoes add more than you think, not to mention everything that you have had to eat or drink which hasn't had time to pass through your system.

You didn't gain 12 pounds from a grilled cheese sandwich. (Unless it was a grilled cheese sandwich on "Man vs. Food.")

I'm not stupid, I know it wasn't the sandwich. And it's not clothes or anything, I was wearing the same outfit, and I wasn't wearing shoes either time.
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    OP: You didn't really gain 12 pounds in one day unless you ate 42,000 calories over maintenance. It's water and/or just a bad scale reading. Day-to-day weight fluctuations can easily be +/- 5 lbs (or more). If you're going to freak out over day-to-day fluctuations, then don't weigh yourself every day. What you want to look at are longer-term trends over a period of a few weeks.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    That sucks man. I'd go on a detox if I were you.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    http://i.imgur.com/zjzTdqv.gif

sure you didn't pull a homer simpson the last time you weighted yourself?
  • BlueBombers
    Options
    That sucks man. I'd go on a detox if I were you.

:flowerforyou:
  • BlueBombers
    Options
    zjzTdqv.gif

sure you didn't pull a homer simpson the last time you weighted yourself?

Fixed that for you
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    a lot of things could have been a factor, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the reading of one day.