Where do you camp?

Options
2»

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Oak Creek Canyon, Mingus Mountain, Chevelon Canyon, and, of course, the North Rim campground at the Grand Canyon. All right here in Arizona.

We're heading to Knoll Lake next weekend. I'd like to try Lynx Lake by Prescott. Haven't even started exploring the southeast section of AZ.
  • NS81
    NS81 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    South Africa has the most incredible camping spaces pretty much all over the country, if you are ever keen to make a long trip lol

Bucket List :wink:
  • eplerd
    eplerd Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Camping on the Blue Ridge Pkwy was great...and since it was the end of the season and a weeknight I had the entire campground to myself!!

Also camping at Devil's Tower (enroute to Alaska by Motorcycle) was pretty cool - imagine having a view of that rock formation from your picnic table in the morning while making coffee!!

Lake Quinnault (sp?) On the Olympic peninsula was great as well

Locally, Juniper Springs in the Ocala National Forest was great - camp sites are set back from road so you have some privacy - and they have canoeing/kayaking too - but not for beginners (says the guy who tipped 3x )

Dave
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm in Missouri, but I love camping too! We usually stay at state parks. Always in a tent!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    In an average year we'll spend 21 nights in a tent. Never been to New York state (to camp anyway, been once on business), but from what I've read about it we need to get up there. Problem is, the Ozarks, Rockies, and Desert SW are closer and I could camp a lifetime there and not get to everything before we can even think about going east of the Mississippi.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Ohh I love camping! We live in Northern VA, and I often camp @ Prince William National Park because it's very close to where we live. I'll like to go camping @ other locations, so I'll be on the lookout for locations on this topic.

Some friends have suggested: Pohick Bay Regional Park and Assateague Island, MD. I haven't been to these locations, but plan to do so this summer!!
    :)

I've never been to Assateague, but we have reserved a spot in August for there! I've heard it's amazing! Can't wait! Thanks for the input :happy:

If you're able, get a spot on the beach, not the bay. The bugs on the bay side are wretched, miserable creatures that will haunt your dreams. Have a blast; that place is awesome!

I'm in South Jersey, so we typically go somewhere in the Pinelands.
  • NS81
    Options
    In an average year we'll spend 21 nights in a tent. Never been to New York state (to camp anyway, been once on business), but from what I've read about it we need to get up there. Problem is, the Ozarks, Rockies, and Desert SW are closer and I could camp a lifetime there and not get to everything before we can even think about going east of the Mississippi.

I'm lucky enough to live in the beautiful Finger Lakes region of Upstate NY, so I understand what you mean about not really NEEDING to go any further!
  • NS81
    Options
    Ohh I love camping! We live in Northern VA, and I often camp @ Prince William National Park because it's very close to where we live. I'll like to go camping @ other locations, so I'll be on the lookout for locations on this topic.

Some friends have suggested: Pohick Bay Regional Park and Assateague Island, MD. I haven't been to these locations, but plan to do so this summer!!
    :)

I've never been to Assateague, but we have reserved a spot in August for there! I've heard it's amazing! Can't wait! Thanks for the input :happy:

If you're able, get a spot on the beach, not the bay. The bugs on the bay side are wretched, miserable creatures that will haunt your dreams. Have a blast; that place is awesome!

I'm in South Jersey, so we typically go somewhere in the Pinelands.

We're booked for the beach, thank goodness! Thanks for the tip!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hilton or Marriott

+1

Even when hunting at our remote farm (90 minutes from home), I stay at a bed and breakfast. But I work outside for a living and fish/hunt/cycle/golf often so camping just doesn't push my buttons.

Make sense. I'm in a large city, work downtown, and rarely see nature other than the tree in our front yard. I love city life, but I like to get away once in a while.
  • mimismommy11
    mimismommy11 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We usually camp in the State Parks here in Missouri. Otherwise, if we're headed out of state then we're usually going to the beach (and not camping)!
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    In spite of the picture in my profile of me in front of a tent...I prefer to "camp" at a Ritz-Carlton.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I camp in a pop up these days...NM has an abundance of National Forest and BLM land to camp. There are numerous NFS campgrounds and BLM campgrounds, but it is also acceptable to just take off down a forest road or logging road and pull off to camp which is what we do most of the time so long as it is not marked otherwise. Occasionally we will camp at one of our State Parks or one of those forest service or BLM campgrounds as they are still relatively rustic but have a few conveniences like picnic tables and pit toilettes. I have never in my life set foot in an RV park and I've never used the hookups on my pop up other than at home when I'm cleaning it or something.

I used to be an avid backpacker as well but the kiddos being born kinda put the kabash on that for the near future...I can't wait until they're old enough to start hitting the trails again as a family, it will be good times.

DSC01077.JPG

^^^One of our favorite pull off spots from FR 103 in the San Pedro Mountains. This is from this past weekend for our annual Mother's Day campout with some friends of ours. We have come to this spot every year for the last three years for Mother's Day and love it because we might see two or three other people the entire weekend...it's awesome solitude.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    We've camped at quite a few nice locations in our province (Manitoba). Clear Lake in Riding Mountain National Park, Rushing River in north western Ontario.

Our favourite is Grand Beach...fine white sand, great campground with well maintained and private sites. This year we took the plunge and got a seasonal site we'll be pulling out and setting up camp on Friday night for the season (until the first week-end in September)
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    Close to where ever I live. Currently this is the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park (largest state park in the lower 48), or the Cleveland Forest near Mt. Laguna. The profile photo is on the trail in Domelands, ABDSP, an area rich in fossils and vistas.
  • NS81
    Options
    These are all great replies! Thank you! Love new campgrounds!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Camping on the Blue Ridge Pkwy was great...and since it was the end of the season and a weeknight I had the entire campground to myself!!

Linville Gorge and Grandfather Mountain areas in NC are great for camping.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    All over Colorado, especially in remote wilderness areas.

When I was a kid, my favorite place was Glen Rose, TX. It was awesome, but I like to stay away from actual campgrounds now. Too many people.
  • prestonsnana
    prestonsnana Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I live up north in the Adirondack mountains of New York and there is so many beautiful spots to camp, long lake, piseco, wells, speculator, blue mountain lake just to name a few. I have lived here my whole life and you can pitch a tent just about anywhere and have a fabulous time :-) Have fun !!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Boundary Waters on Lake Superior in MN/Ontrario is beautiful also with a lot of canoeing
  • NS81
    Options
    All over Colorado, especially in remote wilderness areas.

When I was a kid, my favorite place was Glen Rose, TX. It was awesome, but I like to stay away from actual campgrounds now. Too many people.

I agree on the people part of it lol I'd rather be more secluded... since having children, we tend to do campgrounds if it's a long camping trip - once they're a little older, we'll probably head back out into the wilderness! :wink: