I am under my calories but over my sugar...

Options
I am 1100 calories under my daily limit so far but I am already over my sugar. Will that mess up my weight loss really bad? I had one little chocolate heart, and 12 frosted mini wheat biskets. That is the only somewhat sugar food I have had..

Replies

• pjsma11498
    pjsma11498 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    well, it can be an issue, but more important is getting enough calories. Cutting out the majority of the added sugar foods will definitely help. I'm not going to sit here and say you should NEVER have a piece of chocolate again, but limiting chocolate and other forms of foods with high added sugar content is a great way to help you stay healthy.
  • nevergoingback2011
    Options
    yea. i know, i just gave away all my chocolate and candies i had in my backpack in an attempt to stay out of it.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me the past 2 days because I had orange juice. I don't usually have juice but I am fighting a cold so I craved it. I think if over a week or so you go up some days and down others you're ok.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Stick with it lady! you'll get there. Just keep making the effort. and remember, it's about changing the way you eat for ever, not until <enter your goal here>, once you commit to the lifestyle change, this becomes easier. Trust me, 4 years in, and it's not even something I think about any more, I just eat that way!
  • neverheavyagainconnie
    Options
    I ate ice cre am alot all summer! But I worked it off with biking! I still lost 35 pounds! Not what you eat each day it just has to be in your calorie intake. Calories are calories
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I ate ice cre am alot all summer! But I worked it off with biking! I still lost 35 pounds! Not what you eat each day it just has to be in your calorie intake. Calories are calories

I agree and disagree with this statement. A calorie is not a calorie. While I agree that in order to lose weight you need to create a deficit, not all calories are created equal.

For instance, protein takes about 3 times as long to be converted from food into energy in the body. Sucrose and/or HFCS are converted to glucose within 5 minutes of digestion, while fructose can take up to 45 minutes, both are simple sugars, but they take two different metabolic pathways. Glycemic index is a valuable tool you should learn about. Once you approach your goals, what you eat is ultimately just as important for a healthy body as how much you eat. Being out of balance can inhibit you from muscle growth, bone growth, and it can increase fat storage.

Unfortunately, things like sugar and HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) are very tasty and very easy to add to other foods, which makes them more desirable, which means it's harder to find processed foods without them. This means eating clean, unprocessed foods is far better for your body. It's why I generally don't recommend things like healthy choice and Weight Watchers dinners, there's a lot of processed foods in there, even though the calorie count is the same, the rate of digestion differs.
  • mckara
    mckara Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think I will probably be in the same boat. The last few days I can't seem to get enough of tangerines. I ate 6 small ones the other day. I was still way under my calories, but now I am worried about the sugar. I am craving them. I am wondering if it is because this week I gave up sweet tea (it was my last downfall), for unsweetened tea with splenda. Hoping it will stop soon because I am really nervous about it.
  • neverheavyagainconnie
    Options
    When i have a craving for chocolate that is once a month! My Husband will split one snickers with me. Not a king size then I record it. And it hepls and also if it is in the house I will eat it. So we eat it in the car on the way home from the store!
  • Jlcory
    Jlcory Posts: 6
    Options
    Whenever I see my parents (even though I'm 36) they load me up with food and soda. A lot of it is loaded with sugar (AZ Iced Tea, cereal, lots of chocolate and candy from Christmas, etc.) so while I do eat and drink some by reducing the portions I take most of it to work and share with everyone else.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I think I will probably be in the same boat. The last few days I can't seem to get enough of tangerines. I ate 6 small ones the other day. I was still way under my calories, but now I am worried about the sugar. I am craving them. I am wondering if it is because this week I gave up sweet tea (it was my last downfall), for unsweetened tea with splenda. Hoping it will stop soon because I am really nervous about it.

I think it is different with natural sugars. You have the fiber in the orange to help slow down the sugar uptake. I try to avoid sugar at all costs when losing weight, but not natural sugar. I have 1/2 banana, clementine, 4 strawberries and 25 blueberries.......yum!!
  • nevergoingback2011
    Options
    thanks for the info :)
  • mckara
    mckara Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I think it is different with natural sugars. You have the fiber in the orange to help slow down the sugar uptake. I try to avoid sugar at all costs when losing weight, but not natural sugar. I have 1/2 banana, clementine, 4 strawberries and 25 blueberries.......yum!!

Yeah I have given up sugar completely. I have lost 85 lbs so and usually I will eat a banana for breakfast, but lately it's been those darn tangerines. I even thought I might be needing Vitamin C so I went and bought some vitamins, but still am craving them. It is my monthly time, so maybe thats why. I try to keep fruit in the house so when I want something I will go for the healthy instead of the chips, etc...I do pretty good most days but having a 13 year old who is rail thin, I have loads of snacks in my house. So far I haven't got into them. Yea Me! LOL