Whole Grain spaghetti???

Options
I am making spaghetti tonight and thought I would try the whole grain kind. I am a little nervous.. any thoughts? Taste? Is it really better for you?

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it, the texture is a little different than the regular stuff and it takes a little bit longer to cook.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    the spaghetti is good, it just has a different texture / bite to it that is almost reminiscent of being aldente even when being cooked all the way. I personally like it, but some people don't.

whole grains are very good for you, however, you want to make sure not to buy into market schemes by a lot of pasta companies, and focus on buying pasta that are 100% whole grains and not some blend, because at that point you may as well just eat the regular pasta lol.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't like it. The texture is strange. I've tried it several times hoping I would get used to it but I gave up. And the only real difference nutrition wise as far as I've been able to tell is additional fiber which I don't need because I eat plenty of fiber rich food.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I love whole grain spaghetti. I find it has way more flavour and is less starchy, and you get the fibre and all that good stuff that you don't with refined grains. I don't eat a lot of grain products, though, because they're easy for me to overeat.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't like it - texture is off to me. It's not the taste so much but the texture I can't get past.
  • astrehlow4348
    Options
    Well I bought it so I suppose I should at least give it a shot! I have HUGE issues with textures and food! If I don't like the texture of something I can't even swallow it. Who knows... maybe I will love it! OR I can go to plan B with a chicken salad :smile:
    Thank you all!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Read the labels....it's not really that much different. It's still a high carb, high glycemic food. I say eat the regular spaghetti and add a sh&tload of veggies to it. Unless you like the whole wheat....I don't mind either type, but pasta gets on my nerves when it comes to chewing it. It breaks into pieces and just slides down my throat...it's hard to break it down in my mouth without looking like a rabbit chewing.
  • melissawilson61
    melissawilson61 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I really like it better, but my husband and children do not.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I didn't like it and I couldn't get anyone to eat it. If you like it, though, go for it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like it better now too.
  • fittoday14
    fittoday14 Posts: 128
    Options
    It's definitely a hit or miss with most people. I do not like it one bit. Tried it several times, it's just not for me.
  • fittoday14
    fittoday14 Posts: 128
    Options
    Read the labels....it's not really that much different. It's still a high carb, high glycemic food. I say eat the regular spaghetti and add a sh&tload of veggies to it. Unless you like the whole wheat....I don't mind either type, but pasta gets on my nerves when it comes to chewing it. It breaks into pieces and just slides down my throat...it's hard to break it down in my mouth without looking like a rabbit chewing.

^^^^^^^^^ THIS 100%!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I get both and mix them together because the texture of the whole wheat pasta is very different from regular pasta. However, lately, i've been trying to cut carbs as much as possible so when we have spaghetti I use spaghetti squash instead... even my hubby will eat it and he's super picky when it comes to healthy eating.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm not fond of it. I think it tastes funny.

I do like Dreamfields brand though and so does my husband and step-son who hate whole grain pasta. It tastes just like regular but has higher fiber count and slightly higher protein count, and a lower glycemic index I believe (I don't have a box in front of me to verify). It doesn't save on calories, but neither does whole grain.

Or, like others said, if you're gonna have pasta, have regular and just watch your portions.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^ THIS 100%!

Exactly.
  • astrehlow4348
    Options
    I get both and mix them together because the texture of the whole wheat pasta is very different from regular pasta. However, lately, i've been trying to cut carbs as much as possible so when we have spaghetti I use spaghetti squash instead... even my hubby will eat it and he's super picky when it comes to healthy eating.

I never even thought about spaghetti squash that's a great idea!
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I like it better. It takes a little longer to cook and the texture requires some getting used to, but now I can't stand regular pasta. Just make sure you read the label. Most "whole grain" spaghettis are anything but.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    For most things I do prefer whole-grain but I just can't warm to whole-grain pasta. It's the texture.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Depends entirely on the brand and what type of whole grains. I hate whole wheat pasta of any kind - I find there's no al dente to it. It's either gummy, or crunchy with no in-between. Dreamfields is better - still has a little bit of a tacky mouthfeel to it even when properly cooked. I don't have a problem with it, but still prefer regular pasta. Then there's the new Barilla 'protein plus' pasta that's made with a bunch of different whole grains including quinoa. That one has the best texture in my opinion. I can get a nice al dente bite with it. The taste is a bit different than regular pasta, though. I liked it, thought it was a bit nutty, but I can see where others would not.