How do bodybuilders eat 3000-4000 calories a day?

Options
12346»

Replies

• briang1224
    Options
    Ok, I planned out all my meals today and rebalanced my goals. Can someone look at today for me and give me advice on tweaks?

I put in weightlifting as a cardio workout because it kind of is for me. I wear a heart rate monitor when I lift and make sure
    that my heart rate never drops below 125 while lifting. I usually get a calorie count burn somewhere upwards of a 1000
    but those heart rate monitors can't be right. I usually put in 500-800 calories burned by cardio to track.
    Anyone have a better method I should use?
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    exercise makes me feel LESS hungry lol but why not just eat nuts or something high cal n gd for you like that for a snack?
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Ok, I planned out all my meals today and rebalanced my goals. Can someone look at today for me and give me advice on tweaks?

I put in weightlifting as a cardio workout because it kind of is for me. I wear a heart rate monitor when I lift and make sure
    that my heart rate never drops below 125 while lifting. I usually get a calorie count burn somewhere upwards of a 1000
    but those heart rate monitors can't be right. I usually put in 500-800 calories burned by cardio to track.

If your HR doesn't drop below 125 while lifting, you're either doing a very long Crossfit session or you're not lifting properly. Lift when it's lifting time. Do cardio when it's cardio time.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Goals look good! There is no good way to track burn from strength. Just use what is in the cardio database for strength training as an estimate. A HRM is desingned to be used for steady state cardio and will not give accurate readings. As Jason mentioned, you will get the most muscle development benefit by resting 2 to 3 minutes between sets. Keeping your heart rate up is not a goal of strength training.
  • GoatBoat66
    Options
    I could eat 4,000 calories of peanut butter in an hour.
  • briang1224
    Options

If your HR doesn't drop below 125 while lifting, you're either doing a very long Crossfit session or you're not lifting properly. Lift when it's lifting time. Do cardio when it's cardio time.

I guess I don't quite understand this. honestly, it doesn't take much to get my heart rate up there and keep it there even with break periods, Maybe I am just that out of shape? But I can't rest more than a minute or two between sets. It's not like I am
    trying to run through my workouts or anything. I do sets usually of 14 reps with lighter way and finish up with 6-8 reps of heavy weight then move on to the next exercise. I do a set, then up the weight and then go again.

I might state that I am not trying to be a body builder as much as I am trying to get lean as well.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Let me start off by saying that my goal is to lose weight and look better. In hopes of that, I usually lift weights 4 times a week and usually do 20-60 minutes of cardio after each weight lifting session.

I eat clean most of the time, lean white meats and fish, veggies like broccoli, try to stay under 20g of sugar each day.

I have a suspicion that I am not eating enough. I feel like I eat all the time (4-5 times a day) and have a hard time getting over 1200 calories a day without milk and protein shakes. I am 5'8 195 lbs. I have decent muscle on my frame and last I had a BF check done I was at 21.6% BF. My goal is to get to 10% by next summer.

For the last 5 months I have fluctuated between 205 and 195 and while my diet isn't 100% clean 100% of the time, I feel like
    I put in a clean diet 90% of the time and the times I don't are on the weekends and even then I am not eating that bad.
    I may be eating out, but I am eating like steak, grilled shrimp and veggies or a baked potato.

I really need help here trying to figure out what I need to do to get the best results.
    I have no problems with energy levels as it is and I have read that you should cut carb intake until you feel a lose of energy.
    But I am around 1200 calories a day an my workouts usually burn around 600 calories.
    Any help and advice is appreciated, I read a lot of stuff on the internet and am kind of lost on what my next step needs to be.

Eating and exercising like this is a recipe for losing lean muscle mass, which means as you lose weight your BF% may drop slow, or not drop at all. I suggest finding your TDEE and eat 80-90% of that number and get at least 0.8 grams of protein per lb of body weight. I would also suggest doing less or no cardio if you can't eat more than you currently are now

To get more cals you don't have to eat more food, just make different food choices.
    Avoid diet and lite foods
    eat/drink higher MF% milk products
    Each a *kitten* ton of nuts, seeds, nut butter, dehydrated fruit as snacks
    Drink more cals, juice, smoothie, shakes by replacing a couple glasses of water with these
    add olive oil to soups, sauces and salads
    add avocado to salads and sandwiches
    etc.

^^^ This
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I could eat 4,000 calories of peanut butter in an hour.

most people could except the ones who want to make excuses from fear of actually getting their calories in. SMH.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on 3000-4000 calories and I am not a body builder. However if you want to see how to consume over 7000 calories in one day just look at my diary from today. Its really not that hard to eat that much if you want to.

My weight has been stable for months at about 10% body fat despite some days like today. For me its much easier to track my weekly caloric intake. If I eat 7000 calories one day I just make up for it on other days during the week
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    You ever see what a competitive body builder looks like in the off season? Not to mention that the average competitive body builder eat every hour on the hour and does very little in terms of movement with the exception of training for fear of losing lean muscle that they've attained.

And you're not eating enough. Your stats are close to mine, but I don't see the same muscle mass, so I believe your fat % is off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bdoug1234
    bdoug1234 Posts: 28
    Options
    Wow...lifting for an hour and then cardio on top... Check out any muscle website and they will tell you it takes 60 minutes before growth hormone drops and cortisol take over. This is a bad thing btw and your bodies response to stress... You might want to check out over training.
  • Saunz5
    Saunz5 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan, eat gluten free and yeast free (due to dietary issues) along with many other food allergies/sensitivities. And I aim for 1700-2000 calories a day. When I was bulking I was going for 2300 calories. It was definitely hard, I get what you're saying because there aren't many calories in spinach...If you were to look at my diary...it's the same stuff every day. It gets boring, but I gotta get food in one way or another. I guess what I'm saying is, if I can do it with all my ridiculous restrictions...YOU can do it! :o) Keep at it! It will get easier!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Eating "too" clean equates to disordered eating and a very unhealthy relationship with food and calories. Basically one step from a mental disorder.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Wow...lifting for an hour and then cardio on top... Check out any muscle website and they will tell you it takes 60 minutes before growth hormone drops and cortisol take over. This is a bad thing btw and your bodies response to stress... You might want to check out over training.
    Lol, I've done it that way for years. Cortisol is a stress hormone and "helps" with workouts. Without it you can't elevate your workout. While it does encourage fat storage, it's still a needed hormone.
    Lots of broscience still circulating out there. Look to peer reviewed clinical studies to verify actual physiology.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • operaspider
    Options
    I eat 3000 calories per day and I'm a 125 pound girl, not a body builder (though I do stay active throughout the day).

I eat paleo, I make lots of sauces with tahini and coconut cream, eat lots of meat, lots of avocados, and LOTS of almond butter (and other nut butters). Trust me, those add up very quickly!
  • jkane1992
    jkane1992 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Mutant mass...

take a shake before your workout and after your workout....

That is 2100 calories, 104g of protein 352g carbs... 36g fat and 20g sats

Then work around that you need 1900 calories out of 4 meals... piece of piss! 20-30min cardio twice a week.. or for example i play football (soccer) for 90minutes a week thats my cardio, and it keeps all stubborn fat of... Only bad thing is, you cant then pig out on other stuff thats high in fat as this stuff is quite high... again tho i will eat 4-5eggs on toast in morning, snack through day, lots of nuts... meat/pasta/rice and get atleast 2 sets of greens in and im 10% body fat my calories reach way into the 4500 sometimes even 5000+ that puts on about 3pounds a week, just under a stone a month... with 5times a week training, mine currently is...

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.. Thursday of, Friday, Saturday and then Sunday i have a cheat day which is normally a roast dinner and a cheeky desert lol...

Any tips on training inbox me... Also if you decide to just BULK and then CUT down, when cutting look into cross fit or MMA... before my holiday last year i done that along with weight training for 12 weeks and i was about 7% body fat lean as **** but still pushing heavy weights..
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    This topic is ollllddd
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Nosebag, you should edit your post again. Not cool.

Pertaining to the thread: Zombies!!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Let me start off by saying that my goal is to lose weight and look better. In hopes of that, I usually lift weights 4 times a week and usually do 20-60 minutes of cardio after each weight lifting session.

I eat clean most of the time, lean white meats and fish, veggies like broccoli, try to stay under 20g of sugar each day.

I have a suspicion that I am not eating enough. I feel like I eat all the time (4-5 times a day) and have a hard time getting over 1200 calories a day without milk and protein shakes. I am 5'8 195 lbs. I have decent muscle on my frame and last I had a BF check done I was at 21.6% BF. My goal is to get to 10% by next summer.

For the last 5 months I have fluctuated between 205 and 195 and while my diet isn't 100% clean 100% of the time, I feel like
    I put in a clean diet 90% of the time and the times I don't are on the weekends and even then I am not eating that bad.
    I may be eating out, but I am eating like steak, grilled shrimp and veggies or a baked potato.

I really need help here trying to figure out what I need to do to get the best results.
    I have no problems with energy levels as it is and I have read that you should cut carb intake until you feel a lose of energy.
    But I am around 1200 calories a day an my workouts usually burn around 600 calories.
    Any help and advice is appreciated, I read a lot of stuff on the internet and am kind of lost on what my next step needs to be.

Dude, I can eat 1200 calories for breakfast. Four pancakes with butter and syrup, two slices of bacon, one sausage patty, and a glass of whole milk. Boom!

Maybe you should talk to your doctor and have your hormones checked. Something isn't right for a grown man of your height and weight to "struggle" getting over 1200 calories.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I suggest 5 dozen eggs a day. Not only will you be the size of a barge, you'll also be able to break belts with your neck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuJTqmpBnI0