Getting enough iron

jenminuchi
jenminuchi Posts: 6 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
I am having a really difficult time getting enough iron in my diet, and I am trying to stay away from red meat. I would also rather not take an iron supplement if I can avoid it. Does anyone have any recommendations? I love spinach, and eat a good amount, but I am looking for other ideas. Thanks!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I am having a really difficult time getting enough iron in my diet, and I am trying to stay away from red meat. I would also rather not take an iron supplement if I can avoid it. Does anyone have any recommendations? I love spinach, and eat a good amount, but I am looking for other ideas. Thanks!

use black-strap molasses as a sweeter, full of iron. I add it to oatmeal. Make sure it is not fancy molasses, it is stripped of many of its nutrients.
  • jenminuchi
    jenminuchi Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you!
  • spinach is not as high in iron as everyone thinks, and you absorb more of the iron if you eat something with vitamin c at the same time..

i find that i cannot, no matter what i eat, get enough iron. so i take a multivitamin. i get 100% of my iron, as well as the vitamin c to help absorb it. i find it doesnt have the same unpleasant side effects as a pure iron supplement. :)

hope that bit of info helps! Lol.
  • kittyb1
    kittyb1 Posts: 42 Member
    hi there... a few ideas...I'm just going to list them under headings..hope it helps
    Heme Iron (which is the most available to our bodies ie: we absorb it the best)
    Great Sources
    Clams
    Pork Liver
    Oysters
    Chicken Liver
    Mussels
    Beef Liver

Good Sources
    Beef
    Shrimp
    Sardines
    Turkey

Non-Heme Iron (veggie/grain options but not as easily absorbed by our bodies)
    Great Sources
    Enriched breakfast cereals/whole grain or Oatmeals
    Cooked beans and lentils
    Pumpkin seeds
    Blackstrap Molasses

Good Sources
    Broccoli
    Baked potato with skin
    Enriched pasta
    asparagus

Also think about using foods that aid in non-heme iron absorption like citrus with your spinach.
This discussion has been closed.