Birth control and weight gain.

Options
Hello. So I was wondering if anyone has had an implanon contraceptive placed. I've had one for 2 yrs now and was told that some women may experience weight gain. I never really exercised or dieted but always ate the same way while staying at the same weight. However, since I've had the implanon I've gained 45lbs gradually. So I researched online and saw that some people said they had it removed and lost the weight they gained. If anyone has experienced this please share your thoughts. I'm debating whether I should keep it or remove it because this weight gain really sucks!

Replies

• ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    There are many threads on this topic.

It boils down to the fact that everybody is different. Some birth control may cause weight gain, but generally not.

In the case of Depo-Provera there are more cases of it causing weight gain.

If you have gained a lot of weight gradually it is most likely not your birth control. However you can always talk to you doctor and see about changing.
  • diamondz361
    Options
    i got implanon put in september of 2013.. i had for close to 8 months and gained 21lbs so i had it removed also i want one more child... ive never gained weight before on birth control and i dont like the fact that i did...
  • AngeliqueAcee
    AngeliqueAcee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hello. So I was wondering if anyone has had an implanon contraceptive placed. I've had one for 2 yrs now and was told that some women may experience weight gain. I never really exercised or dieted but always ate the same way while staying at the same weight. However, since I've had the implanon I've gained 45lbs gradually. So I researched online and saw that some people said they had it removed and lost the weight they gained. If anyone has experienced this please share your thoughts. I'm debating whether I should keep it or remove it because this weight gain really sucks!

I had that in last year in Feb by May I had gained 20kg. This was probably a bit of a mix between the implant and just over-eating. So I took it out and lost some weight, this was all from just eating less calories and exercising. Don't think "just" taking it out will make you lose weight.. Just got to work hard to get it off I think..

But as someone said: Everyone is different!
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I can feel your frustration. I just want to say that shortly after I started taking birth control pills I began to gain A LOT of weight. I talked to my gynecologist about my concerns and he was immediately dismissive of me, saying "lots of women say they gain weight because of BC hormones, but it just isn't possible." So, I just accepted what he said. Fast forward a couple of years, and 75 pounds of weight gain. After being seen by a different doctor, who thought to actually run some blood tests on me, I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. After beginning medication for that issue (and stopping my BC pills!) I started seeing the scale move downward for the first time in years. I've now lost 25 pounds and have just joined MYfitnesspal to help with the rest I need to lose. My point is, if you suspect that your weight gain is abnormal, seek answers as soon as possible and don't allow your fears to be dismissed. If I had pressured my doctor to take me more seriously, I might have gotten some answers and could have gotten my weight on track much sooner.
  • gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There are many threads on this topic.

It boils down to the fact that everybody is different. Some birth control may cause weight gain, but generally not.

In the case of Depo-Provera there are more cases of it causing weight gain.

If you have gained a lot of weight gradually it is most likely not your birth control. However you can always talk to you doctor and see about changing.
    as a school nurse in a high school I can tell you that if you gained 10 pounds in 2 months then it didn't move again ....birth control but if you had a long term steady gain over 6 months or more...think activity. young adults slow a lot as we go into adulthood and early 20-30s. with the decreased activity comes either adjustments in diet and exercise or weight gain.
  • RoseZ12
    RoseZ12 Posts: 18
    Options
    Oh boy I saw this and I just had to get in on it and do my rant. I was on birthcontrol, WAS being the key word. I was getting the DEPO shot because of cramps I was having and because It was easy (didnt have to rememeber pills). When I was on it I gained a Crap ton of weight, my hair was falling out more also I was spotting alll the time, so I decided to stop it.

Well as soon as I did I gained MORE weight and bled for 5 months straight. Then one day it just stopped and I stopped having a period for 5 months, I was expecting this. I started dieting and now im on a mission to get this BC weight off. My next mission is having my thyroid checked. I am waiting for my body to regulate again, I am hoping being on the shot has not cause me infertility like some have claimed.

Honestly I am glad I got off my BC, I know now I have to work hard to lose my weight but I know I will be able to do it even if it happpens at a painsteakingly pace. I personally felt having cramps 2 days out of the month and only bleeding for 5 days was so much better then losing my hair, gaining weight, and contantly spotting. Now I just need my body to regulating to its old routine.

I made myself a note never to go back on BC ever again. And to those who it have worked for, I am so glad it did/is working for you, unfortunatly I was one of the unluckies.

(note: These are my personal experiences and opinions. Sorry for any grammatical/spelling errors. At work and trying to be fast.)
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree! Diet and exercise are crucial. But getting one's hormones sorted out can definitely affect one's ability and desire to make these changes, in my experience. And like the other person said above, "everyone is different." I had a whole slew of negative health changes--including weight gain--that "magically" disappeared when I stopped the birth control pills. If I were the OP, I'd definitely get the implant removed and then see what happens.
  • jams0426
    jams0426 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had Implanon for almost 3 years. I actually just recently had it replaced to go for another 2 years or so. I didn't notice any weight gain from it.

But again, everyone reacts differently to hormones. I find it works best for me because I don't have to take it every day and it lasts a long time.

Good luck with whatever choice you make! :)