Work out routine for newbie :)

Options
Well I'm not a newbie here but I'm new to having a work out routine. I have equipment in my house and just don't use it as it was my ex husbands that I bought for him and when we split I kept it. I have an elliptical, weight bench, hand weights and a ab machine. I normally just go walking for exercise but I would love to use the equipment to improve my muscles. Any one have any routines that they do and don't get bored doing the same thing over and over. I'm looking for a good morning work out before work.

Anything would be helpful. :happy:

Replies

• bluffnmuffn318
    bluffnmuffn318 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well that was helpful .. not sure which one to try. :wink:
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    LOL, don't everyone jump at once.

I would start with the hand weights.

I do three sets of ten of everything and alternate. I would google hand weights exercises, like arm curls.
  • drumbum77DW
    drumbum77DW Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to get tone or bulk up? Have you reached your goal weight?
  • bluffnmuffn318
    Options
    I haven't reached my goal yet I am wanting to tone or just look fit not bulk.
  • drumbum77DW
    drumbum77DW Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What really helped me get to my goal weight was to completely eliminate alcohol, sugar and to focus on cardio. If you need a energy shot before a workout drink some tea with honey and have a banana. The biggest help is make sure you get enough sleep.

As far as lifting weights I agree to start slow. I'm not sure if your ex had exercise bands, but you might enjoy those. You can get a 15 lb band at Walmart for like $6.00. There are several exercises that you can do that won't leave you discouraged and more importantly injured! Don't be fooled by the band's either, they will kick you *kitten*. Heavy cardio exercise and the band's will help you tone up and shed the weight. Don't quit and remember why you started.

If you need some band workout ideas, PM me and I will send you some that I do. :bigsmile:
  • glickman1
    glickman1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    SL 5x5 is the best beginner workout routine, just go to stronglifts.com and read up
    Do cardio on rest days and you're golden
  • bluffnmuffn318
    Options
    Yes, he has the bands and wanted to give those a try too. Ill def pm you and try some of yours .. im up for anything.
  • bluffnmuffn318
    Options
    SL 5x5 is the best beginner workout routine, just go to stronglifts.com and read up

just checked it out and it seems simple enough thanks
  • glickman1
    glickman1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

just checked it out and it seems simple enough thanks
    No problem
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not a newbie here but I'm new to having a work out routine. I have equipment in my house and just don't use it as it was my ex husbands that I bought for him and when we split I kept it. I have an elliptical, weight bench, hand weights and a ab machine. I normally just go walking for exercise but I would love to use the equipment to improve my muscles. Any one have any routines that they do and don't get bored doing the same thing over and over. I'm looking for a good morning work out before work.

Anything would be helpful. :happy:

Check out all the free workout plans on bodybuilding.com

There's some great stuff on there depending on your goal.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to get tone or bulk up? Have you reached your goal weight?
    Oiy vey.....

To the OP - google stronglifts, bodybuilding.com or youtube - there is a nice book called "smart girls do dumbells" that will help too...
    You cannot "bulk up" if you are female, you can lift heavy weights and don't have to bother with resistance bands if you have dumbells.... Weights/resistance training 3 times per week and use the elliptical for HIIT twice a week.......
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk up if you are eating in a deficit.
  • fit_war
    fit_war Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    yep you wont bulk! SL or Jason Blaha`s 5x5 (Im trying this one this month)