Figuring exercise?!

Options
I have a job that keeps me on my feet and walking almost non stop. I decided to wear my pedometer one day to track just how much I had walked...so over the course of a 7 hour shift, I had walked almost 10,000 - so close to 5 miles. I work 3-4 days per week and some days 4 hours, some days up to 7 or 8 hours. If I had to guess I would say I am walking anywhere between 3 to 5 miles per work day depending on the hours I am working.

How should I track this? Obviously it's not a power walk by any means, but I want to keep better track of *all* physical activity. Would you put in the 7 hours or what? etc?

Thanks!

Replies

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am not sure either. Would you say you are walking at 3 mph at a moderate pace or 2 mph at a leisurely pace?
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing to do would be getting a Fitbit - it syncs automatically with MFP, and calculates your calories burned based on your step-based activity - even just walking as part of your job.

The Fitbit Zip isn't very expensive and would be perfect for the job!
  • rhondadwyer69
    rhondadwyer69 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing to do would be getting a Fitbit - it syncs automatically with MFP, and calculates your calories burned based on your step-based activity - even just walking as part of your job.

The Fitbit Zip isn't very expensive and would be perfect for the job!

This is what I was going to suggest!
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks - unfortunately with hubby out of work and me only having a part time job at the moment, I just can't afford a Fit Bit right now.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I would just keep tracking your steps and see what your average is, then possibly change your MFP setting from sedentary to lightly active or even moderately active. I've seen it said that sedentary is < 5000 steps per day, lightly active 5000-7500, moderately active 7500-10000 and active > 10000 steps per day. If you find that you are averaging over 10000 steps per day without intentional exercise, then consider changing your settings.

I log 7500+ steps a day with a desk job - well over that when I intentionally exercise. I've found that MFPs lightly active calorie calculations seem to be about right when I also add in my intentional exercise.

On the flip side, you could find an online calculator that calculates calories burned based on number of steps and then enter the calories manually. If you do that and you are set at sedentary, I would calculate calories burned based on steps taken - 5000 since that is included in "sedentary" lifestyle.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I would include this as part of your lifestyle when setting up your goals rather than additional activity. This helps to ensure that you won't be over-estimating the impact of your already-active job :)
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I would include this as part of your lifestyle when setting up your goals rather than additional activity. This helps to ensure that you won't be over-estimating the impact of your already-active job :)

This. I'd change your activity level settings rather than logging it as exercise.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

This. I'd change your activity level settings rather than logging it as exercise.

Agreed