Scale

Options
When or how often do you weigh yourself?

I weigh myself every morning and night. I use it as a tool in helping to determine how well I did. I know if I am more than 4lbs heavier at night that I didn't drink enough water that day and I will not wake to a weight loss but I will find my weight to stay the same as it was the previous morning.

Replies

• Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. On a Monday morning at the gym. Wearing similar clothing.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I weight every day, but more because I'm figuring out my new scale. I've had this Omron scale for a couple of weeks, and it does body fat %, skeletal muscle %, resting metabolism, body age, etc. so it's interesting to watch the fluctuations and try to figure out why. I'm sure it's largely due to hydration levels, but sometimes when weight goes up, body fat goes down, or fat goes down but muscle goes up. I should start a spreadsheet on the computer tracking all of that along with water and caloric intake to see the correlations.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself monthly at the gym. I decided a few months back that I didn't want the number on the scale to determine my success, and it doesn't. I have celebrated more successes than I can count. Wishing you all the best!!!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning. Before I eat or drink anything, after using the bathroom, and without any clothes on. I know the daily # does not mean much in the overall scheme of things, but weighing daily has allowed me to learn my body's trends. I have a recent 30 day and 90 day tracking in the pics on my MFP page. The spike in the middle of the 30 day shows high sodium + TOM.

I don't usually get on the scale at night. When I do its more of a mental pick me up. Like if I weigh X at night then I know I'll be 2-3 pounds less the next morning. My scale syncs by wifi to my Fitbit account, which connects to MFP. So getting on at night means MFP posts a 'Staci has lost 3 pounds since her last weighin' when I get on in the morning. The congrats messages from friends are nice, but it feels a little like cheating and can be misleading if I seem to lose 3 pounds everyday! SO mostly now I stay off at night.
  • StacyVici
    StacyVici Posts: 40
    Options
    I weight myself every morning. Before I eat or drink anything, after using the bathroom, and without any clothes on. I know the daily # does not mean much in the overall scheme of things, but weighing daily has allowed me to learn my body's trends. I have a recent 30 day and 90 day tracking in the pics on my MFP page. The spike in the middle of the 30 day shows high sodium + TOM.

I don't usually get on the scale at night. When I do its more of a mental pick me up. Like if I weigh X at night then I know I'll be 2-3 pounds less the next morning. My scale syncs by wifi to my Fitbit account, which connects to MFP. So getting on at night means MFP posts a 'Staci has lost 3 pounds since her last weighin' when I get on in the morning. The congrats messages from friends are nice, but it feels a little like cheating and can be misleading if I seem to lose 3 pounds everyday! SO mostly now I stay off at night.

Very neat, where can I get a scale like that?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. My scale syncs with my MFP account via my fingers.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. My scale syncs with my MFP account via my fingers.

LOL...YESSSSSSSS. Ditto!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself monthly at the gym. I decided a few months back that I didn't want the number on the scale to determine my success, and it doesn't. I have celebrated more successes than I can count. Wishing you all the best!!!

I weigh myself about once a month when I meet with my nutritionist. I'm at maintenance (although I've gained two pounds this month so no more peanut m&ms for me ;-))

I can tell if I'm in trouble if, after washing, my pants are tighter than usual and then I reorient if necessary.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I weight every day, but more because I'm figuring out my new scale. I've had this Omron scale for a couple of weeks, and it does body fat %, skeletal muscle %, resting metabolism, body age, etc. so it's interesting to watch the fluctuations and try to figure out why. I'm sure it's largely due to hydration levels, but sometimes when weight goes up, body fat goes down, or fat goes down but muscle goes up. I should start a spreadsheet on the computer tracking all of that along with water and caloric intake to see the correlations.

Snuggle, that's the one that measures through both your hands AND your feet, right? If so, I have the same scale and I love it. I've been tracking the readings for the last 6 months or so, and have been entering weight, body fat %, and skeletal muscle pounds (skeletal muscle = weight * skeletal muscle %) into MFP's "progress" section.

For me, typical daily fluctuations are less than one pound in weight, and less than one percent in body fat and skeletal muscle. I like MFP's graphs, which can help make sense of all the data and pretty clearly show trends. My findings: My weight loss started at 6 lbs per month for the first month or two but has pretty consistently been right around 3 lbs per month since then. Over 6 months my body fat percentage has dropped from 22% to 14%, and the change has been pretty linear. My skeletal muscle goes up and down with no clear long term trend in either direction, although I seem to have lost a pound of skeletal muscle overall from about 63 lbs to 62 lbs.

My scale thinks I'm 45 rather than 60. One of these days I'm going to set up a second user and tell the scale I'm only 30 years old. I want to see if it still thinks I'm 45.

Also, on the days when I see big weight gains of a pound or more, I usually see a corresponding drop in body fat and gain in skeletal muscle percent. Those three things moving together would be consistent with a gain in water weight, considering how electronic scales work. It also makes the weight gains easier to accept (or ignore since I know that they're temporary) because I'll gladly take a one pound weight increase because I supposedly gained a pound of muscle overnight.