What do YOU do when you feel hungry (but know you're not)?

Options

Replies

• jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I usually feel like eating when I'm sitting at my desk working. So I'll go for a walk around the building or make myself a cup of tea.
    If I'm at home, I start cleaning or some sort of household chore to distract my mind.
    Most of the time I brush my teeth haha. I hate ruining that perfect smooth feeling my teeth have after they are brushed.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    All of the above makes sense. You can also add more fiber. One thing that helps me is when I can, I brush my teeth as soon as I'm done eating. Or like someone said, chew gum. I think it tell my body that I'm finish.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how someone can feel hungry but not be hungry... totally baffles me. I'm either hungry or not.

You're lucky. I find that often when I'm not physically hungry, I'll be obsessively thinking about food constantly. It's distracting and often leads to binge eating even when I've physically had enough good food. I have been told it's possible that I have ADD that is manifesting itself in a binge eating disorder, though.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    If I feel hungry, I drink water. If I still feel hungry, I eat.

^^^ THIS! I generally drink 2 cups of water when I feel hungry. Wishing you the best!
  • boydsterk
    boydsterk Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sounds weird but I have a motivation picture on my background of my phone. I make sure I continue to drink plenty of water so I don't sway from my meal prep.

I've learned that it's more of a mental game than anything.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your weight is, but if you are a larger person and only ate 2 eggs with some spinach and parmesan, which is probably less than 200 calories, then of course you are hungry! I would be too. That's barely anything. Also, even though people are telling you to eat more protein, I am personally not sated until I also have a little bit of carbohydrates. Yes, protein helps keep you full, but we do also need carbohydrates.
    honestly im starting to this this differs from person to person, i find protein most filling, i know a few who have said fats are most filling, youre the first ive heard to say carbs but im sure there are others
    Another carb person here!
    I find that I get the most satiety out of a meal that includes an abundance of non-starchy vegetables and a portion or two of whole grain carbs.
    For example, humongous salad and a big scoop of quinoa or beans. I think it might be the fiber.
  • jchenks
    Options
    I don't understand how someone can feel hungry but not be hungry... totally baffles me. I'm either hungry or not.

You're lucky. I find that often when I'm not physically hungry, I'll be obsessively thinking about food constantly. It's distracting and often leads to binge eating even when I've physically had enough good food. I have been told it's possible that I have ADD that is manifesting itself in a binge eating disorder, though.

I have the same problem. I just think about eating and want to eat more even though I have just eaten. I need to keep myself busy or I constantly think about food.
  • canadianbooty
    Options
    If you are used to eating a lot, dropping to low calories quickly, you will be hungry. Very hungry.

Figure out what calorie level you used to eat at. Subtract a bit from that and lower your food intake slowly. Going from a diet of eating whatever you want to restricting yourself, yep you're gonna be starving.

Just my two cents.
  • jchenks
    Options
    Sounds weird but I have a motivation picture on my background of my phone. I make sure I continue to drink plenty of water so I don't sway from my meal prep.

I've learned that it's more of a mental game than anything.

Not weird at all! I also have a motivation pic on my fridge!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Drink water
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have to eat more than that to feel full. If you are still feeling hungry, it's because you probably are. If you aren't feeling hungry but want to eat, that's a different story! In those cases I do things like take a warm shower, take a walk, play with my dog, read a book, etc. The feeling will usually pass in 15-20 minutes if it's not true hunger.
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein, it will keep you full longer :smile:

^^^THIS! Lots of protein keeps me full for HOURS. I don't even have to snack!
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    agree with those who said to drink water. If still hungry, 1st check macros pie graph in MFP App. Then select what's fits into your macros.
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    +1 Drink Water
    I start off the day with a protein and fiber shake, ( fiber helps keep blood sugar stable, helps with weight loss)
    I always keep sliced celery or cucumbers around for my 9:00 and 2:00 snack ( a gut busting pound of cucumber is like 30 calories!)
    Tea or Coffee helps caffeine is a natural appetite suppressant
    Stay away from simple carbs, your body processes them up quickly then you are hungry again.
    +2 Drink Water
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're eating enough calories, and your food is well balanced, and you've just started out, give your body time to adjust. I was super hungry for a week or so when I went from eating all the things to tracking and paying attention. But, I'd gone from binging at around 4,000 calories a day to following MFP's recommendations of 1760 a day. If you're trying to survive on 800 calories a day or some other stupidity, don't do that. But if it's just that you've gone from eating waaaaay too much to cutting back to normal human sized servings, tough it out for a couple of weeks then reevaluate. To distract myself I like to make sure I'm drinking enough water and doing activity. Hard to eat when you're biking or walking.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I drink water, and eat something crunchy, like carrots or celery.
  • AnnaCVis
    AnnaCVis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    protein, water, gum, or veggies. :)
  • b_roche
    b_roche Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yep, same as a lot of others are saying. I just drink a glass of water and that usually clears that pseudo-hunger truly-thirst sensation away.
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    A wise man once said:

"If you are still hungry, eat a salad. If you aren't hungry for a salad, you aren't hungry."
  • feliscatus84
    feliscatus84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat and a little bit of carb. I find that when I don't include enough fat into my meals I get hungry faster. Even if I have just carbs and a lot of protein.