Crowded Gym Anxiety

Options
2»

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I can't workout at home... other then the lack of equipment, that is where my couch is.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I've been one of those people and I was also one of the ones that quit after a month. The reason? The gym was too crowded and there were too many hardcore lifters.
    As a hardcore lifter...what did we do?
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    I've been one of those people and I was also one of the ones that quit after a month. The reason? The gym was too crowded and there were too many hardcore lifters.

You probably farted.... just sayin
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options

LMAO...filing that away for my plan of attack next time someone is on "my" bike ;)
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Managed to get over my anxiety and get on with it - the gym wasn't "that" bad - mostly a line up to sign up than work out (as someone mentioned above - the "new year" discounts play a big part in it - it is a business after all indeed.

Also, I took the advice of kelsully and offered some kind advice to a poor girl who was trying to find a spot to do her ball exercises - made her feel better about the chaos, and I realized that I wish someone had been welcoming to me back when... =)

now - if people could read when they come in and take their boots off BEFORE entering the change rooms - it is snowy winter here after all, I would be a very happy gal.
  • binary_jester
    Options

LMAO...filing that away for my plan of attack next time someone is on "my" bike ;)
    The proper term is crop dusting.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    now - if people could read when they come in and take their boots off BEFORE entering the change rooms - it is snowy winter here after all, I would be a very happy gal.
    I feel your pain for this. Also...hooray for a non-scale victory.
  • Adriaedwards
    Options
    I joined a gym a few months ago and have been going 5 times a week (even during the holidays). I am finally feeling better about myself and moving forward with a healthier positive attitude. i am feeling the same way about all the newbies at the gym. The only time I am able to go is after work, of course at peak times. it is hard to even find a machine and I am feeling quite frustrated. I am trying to keep a positive attitude... Just wanting to vent!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My gym was pretty crazy too yesterday. When I got there it was not TOO bad, but by time I left people were circling the parking lot looking for a spot.

I am sure it will even out a bit in a couple of days.

And how funny is it that people trying to get fit are circling for a close parking space? :laugh:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I have actually been kind of lucky. The amount of people went up a little bit but not outrageously. Since I don't usually get there until after 6:30 usually the right after work crowd has calmed down a little. Monday and Tuesday are always the busiest days anyway so it will be interesting to see how it is tonight.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Best times to go to the gym is super early, Fridays, and Sunday evenings.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've got week passes to two different gyms in town....just burning a hole in my pocket. I'm resolved, however, to wait until at least February to try them out. I'm already fairly leary.
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    My gym was pretty crazy too yesterday. When I got there it was not TOO bad, but by time I left people were circling the parking lot looking for a spot.

I am sure it will even out a bit in a couple of days.

And how funny is it that people trying to get fit are circling for a close parking space? :laugh:

There actually were no open spots in the lot...
  • mvellis
    mvellis Posts: 19
    Options
    I can relate; I attended a class this week that was wall-to-wall people that will quit by the end of January. If only people would realize that workouts don't have to be killers; 30-60 minutes of moderate to heavy workout done consistently is the key. That's when we gain the benefit!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Lol...well I don't know if you did anything. The gym I went to had some guys that came in and hogged the benches for long periods of time and when they left they didn't bother to wipe the sweat off them. I used to be big into lifting when I was in high school so I have no grudge against people just because they work out.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Sorry lifters, but I get a little irritated with all of the grunting sometimes. It kind of creeps me out. I feel like those noises should be save for the bathroom.*LOL*

So, what is the rule of thumb for wiping machines exactly? It gets a bit tedious when you move from weight machine to weight machine. Most of the guys never wipe them off. Also, do you really sweat all that much if you do just 10 minutes on a cardio machine?*curious* I do wipe my machines down, but sometimes it's a pain, I'll admit!

Shannon
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    Sorry lifters, but I get a little irritated with all of the grunting sometimes. It kind of creeps me out. I feel like those noises should be save for the bathroom.*LOL*

So, what is the rule of thumb for wiping machines exactly? It gets a bit tedious when you move from weight machine to weight machine. Most of the guys never wipe them off. Also, do you really sweat all that much if you do just 10 minutes on a cardio machine?*curious* I do wipe my machines down, but sometimes it's a pain, I'll admit!

Shannon

My rule of thumb is if it is a machine a woman is probably going to use I wipe it off regardless... other ones I only wipe if I am really sweating.