Stuck on # of calories AGAIN

Options
Hi everyone,

I just took a screen grab of my weight report for the last 90 days. It looks ridiculous.

ScreenShot2014-05-15at110456AM_zps66e2b50d.png

I have been doing the MFP method and eating some calories back but in the last week or so decided to do TDEE. I am worried I need to switch back as my exercise schedule isn't as solid as I thought. I have ten pounds to lose and I'm only trying to do .5 per week. I feel like I have checked out all of these things like Scooby's workshop, eat more to weigh less, IIFYM, and I still feel lost! I did a 30 day shred in April. Now I am doing C25K 3 days a week and doing some (pretty dinky) lifting at home. Looking at that chart, I feel like it should be going down not constantly up and down. Any thoughts?

Replies

• pistachiopeas
    pistachiopeas Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't know why the whole chart isn't showing. It goes down and up a lot after the dates shown in the image above.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Your full chart doesn't show because it's too wide for the screen. You could resize it, or someone can right click, copy the image location, and paste that into their URL bar to see the full image.

It looks like normal fluctuations to me, especially if you're weighing often and changing your routine. Yes, it's going up and down, but the general trend is downward and that's exactly what you want to see.
  • pistachiopeas
    Options
    Your full chart doesn't show because it's too wide for the screen. You could resize it, or someone can right click, copy the image location, and paste that into their URL bar to see the full image.

It looks like normal fluctuations to me, especially if you're weighing often and changing your routine. Yes, it's going up and down, but the general trend is downward and that's exactly what you want to see.

Thank you!
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    looks great to me!
    keep going
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    if it goes up, it's been less than 1.5 pounds, don't sweat it. You're doing great :)
  • beautifullyblessed16
    beautifullyblessed16 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My chart looks so much like yours! Like a previous poster said, your general trend is downward which is a great thing. Day to day fluctuates could be due to water retention due to high sodium intake, muscle recovery, or TOM. I generally weigh myself everyday so I am keen on these changes but know that as long as things are gradual and moving downward, I am going in the right direction. Keep it up!
  • pistachiopeas
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! It feels good to get some support. I realized that using the TDEE-15% method requires me to be much more disciplined about exercise. So in light of that, I decided to change my activity level from moderate to lightly active in order to be sure that I'm not eating too much. That way if I exercise a bit more it's good but not as much, then I am fine. I hope this works. My calorie goal is 1593 on Scooby and 1600 on MFP so I am just gonna leave it at 1600. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    A properly set MFP + exercise calories goal should be about the same as a properly set TDEE - % calorie goal. The only difference is you eat the same amount every day with the TDEE - % method, it is averaged out throughout the week.

And yes, as others have noted, weight loss is not linear, it will fluctuate up and down like than, look at the whole trend over time, not the frequent ups and downs.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    OK, let me jump in with a dumb question:

What's TDEE, and how do you calculate it? If you prefer it (or not) to the MFP daily method. please tell me why. What are the advantages/disadvantages?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    OK, let me jump in with a dumb question:

What's TDEE, and how do you calculate it? If you prefer it (or not) to the MFP daily method. please tell me why. What are the advantages/disadvantages?

TDEE stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's the total number of calories your body burns in a day and also the number of calories you could eat to maintain your current weight. This method of calculating your weight loss takes about 20% off of your TDEE to get your calorie goal. With this method you include your exercise from the beginning so you wouldn't eat back any extra calories after a workout.

There are a lot of online calculators to get an estimate of your TDEE. Keep in mind that it is just an estimate and you may need to do some trial and error to figure the appropriate number of calories for you. I like Scooby, because it does the math for you: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

MFP and this TDEE method should actually come close to the same number if the two are setup with equal and accurate parameters. Some people prefer MFP because their activity level isn't constant. Others like the TDEE method because they get to eat the same amount every day. It's all about which one works best for you.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Looks a lot like mine, and totally normal. :smile:

I lost my last 10lbs with the TDEE method. Just be patient. I dropped it and have kept it off for nearly two years, and am still lowering body fat percentage without even trying all that hard. I'm know if I really focused and was even more careful and precise with my food & exercise, I'd move faster, but as it is, I'm happy with my progress, it's sustainable, and it's working great.

You're doing fine, just keep at it.
  • pistachiopeas
    Options
    I really appreciate the encouragement! You guys rule.