10 Simple things you can do to facilitate weight loss

Options
1. Get an idea of what free time you'll have and plan what you'll do with that time accordingly
2. Measure everything
3. Eat smaller meals
4. Eat more meals
5. Eat more fiber
6. Have a friend or family member willing to help you out remind you every so often
7. Lift heavy weights 3-4 times a week
8. Be realistic with your expectations
9. Develop routines. If you have OCD, use that to your advantage
10. Drink more water, your body confuses hunger and thirst sometimes

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    1. Get an idea of what free time you'll have and plan what you'll do with that time accordingly
    2. Measure everything
    3. Eat smaller meals
    4. Eat more meals
    5. Eat more fiber
    6. Have a friend or family member willing to help you out remind you every so often

1. Agree strongly.
    2. Agree strongly
    3 and 4. Personal preference imo, can be just as effective to eat a few large meals. Some people find many small meals more satiating, some people find a few big meals more satiating...have to find what works for you.
    5. Agree weakly. Fiber is a low calorie way of feeling full and will help with digestive health. Good to do especially if you struggle to hit a caloric deficit, but not necessary.
    6. Agree. Having a support base is important. Not sure they need to remind you themselves but having someone to talk to about it is very helpful.
    7. Agree. Doesn't have to be exactly 3-4 days a week but you should find a lifting routine and stick with it, more for health and muscle retention than for weight loss but still important.
    8. Agree strongly. If you have unrealistic expectations you will end up discouraging yourself uneccesarily.
    9. Agree strongly. I'm very detail oriented and I find tapping into that and formulating routines to be very helpful. I do feel though that this is a personal thing and might vary person to person.
    10. Agree. Would change this to just stay hydrated but essentially agree. Body can confuse thirst with hunger and drinking more fluids can help with satiation and help you maintain a calorie deficit long term.

Overall good advice.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Some good advice here, but I don't think there's such a thing as "one size fits all" for weight loss. Different people have weight issues for different reasons and therefore solutions are different too.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    2. Measure everything
    3. Eat smaller meals
    4. Eat more meals
    5. Eat more fiber

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Why?
    4. Why?
    5. Yes
    6. Why?
    7. I like what you've done here
    8. Yes
    9. Yes
    10. Sure, why not

Now get back to class.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    #3 and #4 are complete preferences. It has been proven that how often and the size of the meal does not matter as long as you are in a deficit.
  • mlobosco99
    mlobosco99 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    All good advice. I find #9 the most difficult to deal with as I travel a lot for work - both driving and flying. Trying to establish a good time to exercise is difficult.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    2. Measure everything
    3. Eat smaller meals
    4. Eat more meals
    5. Eat more fiber
    1, 2, 6, 8, 9 - Sure
    7 - no but you should do it anyways
    3,4,5,10 - No, No no no no. All fallacies....in relation to weight loss at least.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    2. Measure everything
    3. Eat smaller meals
    4. Eat more meals
    5. Eat more fiber

Agree with most except:
    3&4 as stated above - personal preference. Three regular sized meals work just fine.
    6 - Sorry, but I'm a responsible adult and don't need mommy and daddy to tell me I should be eating better.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    How many times do I have to report this guy on his previous post before someone stops him. Good grief.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    i agree with most of whats said here, other than meal timing and size, in fact many would say that one or two large meals a day will facilitate fat loss better than smaller more frequent meals (intermittent fasting).
    but dont try and dish out advice in your first couple months. sit back and read the forums for awhile otherwise you may end up steering someone down the wrong path
  • Bwneyegirl
    Bwneyegirl Posts: 28
    Options
    If it’s so simple to lose weight by doing these 10 things then why are you on MFP wanting to lose weight?
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    ....now get a hall/bathroom pass, come back and tell these smarty's what you think!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Disagree. If you are serious about including an exercise routine, schedule it into your calendar and treat it like you would any other appt. Don't make it something that just gets squeezed in if you have free time, because free time is hard to come by.
    2. Measure everything

Kind of the entire point of the site, not new information.
    3. Eat smaller meals
    4. Eat more meals
    5. Eat more fiber

Have no bearing on weight loss. Some people find fiber helps them feel more full, but eating more fiber is not going to cause weight loss in and of itself.

Support systems are nice, but your weight loss should not be dependent on someone else keeping you on track.

Nice for body composition and retaining LBM, but unnecessary for weight loss. A calorie deficit is all that is needed.

A good idea in general but will not do anything to actually facilitate weight loss.

Routines are good if you are someone who likes routine. Go with what style works for you. Your comment about OCD is way off base and shows you have little understanding of what OCD actually entails.

Your body does not confuse hunger and thirst, we often misinterpret the signals. Drinking water is good for health but again, has nothing to do with facilitating weight loss beyond water weight.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    2. Measure everything
    3. Eat smaller meals
    4. Eat more meals
    5. Eat more fiber

1. WTF is "free time?"
    2. The measurements change when I think about Kate Upton. Is a puzzlement!
    3. I'm 6'3 and I find high school students to be succulent and tasty.
    4. Drop by my house it's the colonial on the hill with an offset terrace.
    5. Craptacular, agreed!
    6. My "friend" tried to kill me in the Balkans. I work alone.
    7. Yep.
    8. Yep.
    9. If you have OCD, it's not usually your choice as to what you fixate upon.
    10. Totally

Sorry about that one time in the Balkans! I swear I wasn't aiming for your head *kicks rocks*
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    In to be taught all about the everythings!
  • glickman1
    glickman1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    4 5 and 6 are more for controlling hunger and preventing binge eating
    As for weight lifting, it's been proven lifting heavy weights several times a week burns more calories than cardio due to the body expending energy rebuilding the muscle

Take my advice however you choose to
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    2. Measure everything
    3. Eat smaller meals
    4. Eat more meals
    5. Eat more fiber

1. WTF is "free time?"
    2. The measurements change when I think about Kate Upton. Is a puzzlement!
    3. I'm 6'3 and I find high school students to be succulent and tasty.
    4. Drop by my house it's the colonial on the hill with an offset terrace.
    5. Craptacular, agreed!
    6. My "friend" tried to kill me in the Balkans. I work alone.
    7. Yep.
    8. Yep.
    9. If you have OCD, it's not usually your choice as to what you fixate upon.
    10. Totally

Sorry about that one time in the Balkans! I swear I wasn't aiming for your head *kicks rocks*

1. You were close, but wrong head. Thanks for the vasectomy.
    2. How did you survive the "accidental" napalm strike and turn into a woman?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    it's been proven lifting heavy weights several times a week burns more calories than cardio due to the body expending energy rebuilding the muscle

I would like to see that study. Honestly, I would. Do you have a link to it?

This is coming from someone who is an avid supporter of weight lifting while attempting to lose weight...I've just never heard that before.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

As for weight lifting, it's been proven lifting heavy weights several times a week burns more calories than cardio due to the body

proven where? in your basement? As stated previously it's important for retaining lean mass, but the "regerative calorie burn" effect is negligible at best.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    4 5 and 6 are more for controlling hunger and preventing binge eating
    As for weight lifting, it's been proven lifting heavy weights several times a week burns more calories than cardio due to the body expending energy rebuilding the muscle

Take my advice however you choose to

DYEL Bro?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    4 5 and 6 are more for controlling hunger and preventing binge eating for some people, though it has the opposite effect in others and no one should be afraid to experiment and find what works best for them

FTFY