Starting the Apple Diet Today with my Wife

Options
My wife and I started the apple diet this morning. Man I didn't realize that eating a full apple makes you feel so full. The idea of this diet is to eat pretty balanced meals, that included an apple at the beginning. The apple is suppose to make you feel full, thus making you not want to overeat (which is something i struggle with).

A little about myself and my wife.
Myself - 34, 164 lbs at 5'7''. My goal weight is 155 lbs. I started at 180
Wife - 31, 127 lbs at 5'7''. Her goal is 120 and to build muscle and lose the pregnancy flab.

I will try to update in this post how it is going for all three days. Please let me know your thoughts.

Here is the menu for the three days

Day 1
Breakfast: 1 apple + 3/4 cup lowfat cottage cheese
Snack: Celery + 1 tablespoon peanut butter
Lunch: 1 apple + 3 ounce can of tuna fish, drained + raw or steamed veggies, all you want
Snack: Carrots + 1 serving part-skim string cheese
Dinner: 1 apple + 1 skinless chicken breast + mixed green salad + 2 tablespoons lowfat salad dressing + 1 cup sugar-free jello

Day 2
Breakfast: 1 apple + 1 tablespoon peanut butter + 1 slice rye toast
Snack: 1 serving part-skim string cheese + raw veggies
Lunch: 1 apple + 1 cup plain yogurt + raw or steamed veggies, all you want
Snack: 1/2 cup of cottage cheese + raw veggies
Dinner: 1 apple + 1 skinless chicken breast + steamed veggies, all you can eat + 1 cup sugar-free jello

Day 3
Breakfast: 1 apple + 8 ounces plain yogurt
Lunch: 1 apple + 1 skinless chicken breast + 1/2 cup brown rice
Dinner: 1 apple + 3 ounce can of tuna, drained + mixed green salad + 2 tablespoons lowfat salad dressing + 1 cup sugar-free jello

Replies

• smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a small deficit, track your intake using MFP, eat adequate protein and lift weights (or some other resistance training). No need for gimmicks like this that will likely just make you hate apples. (Btw apples are each at least 100 calories typically; pretty sure if you ate 100 calories of most things before meals it would help your satiety.)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    INteresting.

After three days on that diet I don't think I'd ever want to see an apple again. Nor celery, nor cottage cheese.

This DIET wont get a good response on MFP. Fad diets are not necessary in order to achieve the goals you've laid out.

Edited for typo.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that's not enough calories. Under eating is not better then over eating.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating apples. If eating one before every meal keeps you from over eating, then go for it.
    I've heard of people using water this way too
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    :noway: That sounds horrifying. If I had a hubby and he made me do this he'd survive about 1/2 a day before I killed him with an apple.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Apple Pie Diet.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Dude, why are you trying to lose more weight? At 5'7" 164 you should be working on body comp, not dropping more weight.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    and grapefruits too.

I think the idea is that people will get full with a healthier, higher fiber fruit and then not be as bothered by a low calorie diet.

I don't think it would work for me because I like more variety and different spices, textures etc... But if it works for you, then by all means.
  • Asher09
    Asher09 Posts: 25
    Options
    You guys are all funny. I love some of the comments esp the Apple Pie Diet and killing your husband with an apple. The diet is really not a diet. The reason we are doing it is not to reach any goals, it is more for the fact that we struggle in planning meals. This will hopefully get us going on just making a plan for our weekly meals and then we will open it up for all the good things.

Also i am not a big fan of veggies unless they are cooked and smothered in Butter...haha I am hoping to see that they aren't as bad as I thought. I will let everyone know if I get sick of a certain thing.

Remember i am not looking for approval, and yes i understand the concept of eating well, with balance and the thoughts of calories. Between being a 400 meter sprinter in college and majoring in Bio-chemistry, I can tell most people more than they ever might want to know about breakdown and build up of Amino Acid chains, Proteins, and Fatty Lipids in the body...:)

Eating for me is what i love most in the world. Portion control has always been my problem. This is about having a plan and enough motivation and discipline to follow through.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Not going to put that in and count the calories, but it looks way too low for your wife, let alone you! Plus, if she is looking to maintain muscle, is it enough protein? Is she doing resistance training? Are you?

Neither of you have much to lose, so why not just eat near maintenance and lift some weights?
  • Asher09
    Options
    Richard, we do lift and also do Cardio pretty regularly. This is only for three days. We normally eat between 1500-1800 calories a day. This isn't meant to be a long term thing.

I am interested to see what the calories come out as. Right now i have logged everything but dinner and it has come to 764 calories. I am thinking I might be a little low during these three days and might have to increase a few things like Peanut butter to 2 tablespoons and might have a bigger chicken breast for dinner.
  • Asher09
    Options
    Tanned Tiger,

Yea part of it is to support my wife. But at 164 i am still a little heavy. I like to rock climb and we are pretty active in general. We are also training for our first Tri this summer so i would like to be a little leaner for that.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    My wife and I started the apple diet this morning. Man I didn't realize that eating a full apple makes you feel so full. The idea of this diet is to eat pretty balanced meals, that included an apple at the beginning. The apple is suppose to make you feel full, thus making you not want to overeat (which is something i struggle with).

Wife - 31, 127 lbs at 5'7''. Her goal is 120 and to build muscle and lose the pregnancy flab.

I will try to update in this post how it is going for all three days. Please let me know your thoughts.

Day 1
    Lunch: 1 apple + 3 ounce can of tuna fish, drained + raw or steamed veggies, all you want
    Dinner: 1 apple + 1 skinless chicken breast + mixed green salad + 2 tablespoons lowfat salad dressing + 1 cup sugar-free jello

Day 2
    Dinner: 1 apple + 1 skinless chicken breast + steamed veggies, all you can eat + 1 cup sugar-free jello

Day 3
    Dinner: 1 apple + 3 ounce can of tuna, drained + mixed green salad + 2 tablespoons lowfat salad dressing + 1 cup sugar-free jello

Hmmm why do you feel the need to do this 3 day diet, both your weights seem to be in a healthy range
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The apple diet sounds like it might get a little "****ty." - hence the apple overload and fiber. LOL It kind of reminds me of the grapefruit diet where you eat 1/2 grapefruit before every meal. It's supposed to eat your fat or something like that. But hey, you might lose weight based on the high fiber content. Good luck!:wink:
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Looks like the revamped version of the military diet AKA Mayo clinic diet. I did that diet and lost 10 pounds. It was great! Until three weeks later when I discovered I had gained 20 back. Give it a shot. What have you got to lose? :drinker:
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 150. I also bench over 1000 with bands. I'm also the WOD master in crossfit.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    So if you're not looking for approval, what is the point of this post?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Tanned Tiger,

Yea part of it is to support my wife. But at 164 i am still a little heavy. I like to rock climb and we are pretty active in general. We are also training for our first Tri this summer so i would like to be a little leaner for that.

Dude....At 164 you're not "still a little heavy", you just need to go through a recomp. By you eat 1500-1800 I hop you mean net...
  • Asher09
    Options
    Rgv2 - yea those are net. We definitely eat back a good portion if not all of our exercise calories burned. Thanks for asking that question.

As far as those asking why i wrote this if not for approval, because i wanted to share what we were trying for three days with a short blog letting people know how it was going. The Jury is still out and I will make conclusions at the end. I am by no means saying is is a good way to eat for three days or saying anyone else should do it. It was brought up on the board before and a few people showed some interest in it. I figured we would give it a try and report back what we thought about it in terms of how we are feeling, total calories if all is measured out, pitfalls and successes. Remember this Forum is not just for people seeking approval from others but also sharing information and learning from others.

BTW - thanks so much for the English lesson on Biochemistry Richard. I will remember all those wonderful tidbits and how people on certain sites can jump on anything just to make themselves feel better
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

The bolded part suggests you are looking for feedback.

This sounds horrible, and very low cal to me. Kudos if apples fill you up, for me I have to eat cheese or almonds with an apple, otherwise I get hungrier than I was before I ate the apple.

EDIT... the daily menu comes out to 950 calories on average. I even gave you the benefit of the doubt and counted a large portion of chicken and a large apple. Reported for VLCD.

I hope newbies reading this post don't jump on this bandwagon.