Extreme Stress

Options
Jkn921
Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
In Easter I was under a lot of stress (and I do mean tonnes) for exams and everything going on. My stressors are now removed but I feel a bit of anxiety remaining. I've started to exercise yesterday and today to get back into training but still crave sugar a lot. I also feel lethargic from 5pm but stop myself from going to sleep that early. My sleep is getting much better, I do feel relaxed much more than before but not back to normal yet. The stress remained for about a month. Wanted to ask if there's people who've been in my position and can give any advice?

I've gained 5lbs as I wasn't watching what I was eating and am struggling to get it off now. I'm 10lbs within my goal but feel disgusting all the time. Any help appreciated. I probably will talk to a doctor about the stress recovery but wondered if there's anyone who can help.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    For me exercise is key. If I am stressed I try to take 20 to 30 minutes a day, no matter what, to exercise and try not to think about anything else while exercising. I usually walk outside so I will focus on my breathing and watch for cars. If I am doing core exercises or strength training I focus on proper form and breathing. We all need at least 20 minutes a day for us.
  • Jkn921
    Options
    Isit about gradually building a routine? I felt great yesterday then lethargic again at 9pm
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my life. I love Kombucha for a pick-me-up,I have also thought about meditation and Acupuncture. Best of luck to you!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I generally have a very high stress level which causes me to have anxiety. These cause me to lose sleep. The only thing I've found, aside from being ridiculously efficient every day, is that exercise helps stress and anxiety tremendously which helps my sleep. I also stress myself when I think about stress - i can be very easily triggered and high strung (i'm still fun though! lol)

Do you try doing yoga at all to relax yourself and give you body some work at the same time?

I would recommend building a routine that has you going to bed and waking around the same time and scheduling exercise regularly. I workout in the morning before work but on days where I lift I find that running on my lunch break tremendously helps my stress levels as well.

Everyone is different though but exercise is known to help with stress
  • Jkn921
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, my stress was so bad it induced a second but brief episode of depression attached with anxiety, I feel I'm in the recovery mode now and my body is naturally healing but I want to help it, I'll continue exercise as it has helped me, I'll also try meditation as a new experiment :)

Has anyone overcome the recovery period and got back to normal life? I know it'll differ but how long does it take? I ask because I feel a bit hopeless at the minute
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Stress is linked to fat gain btw so it's important you sleep well and do activities that relax you during your weight loss efforts.
  • Jkn921
    Options
    I'm sleeping 8-9 hours per night now it's wonderful :) I'm finding it difficult to be less anxious in the day and really focus on losing weight I gained
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Personally a schedule and consistent excercise helped me. I went through a good 3-4 month period of serious sleep deprivation, stress, and anxiety, which also caused depression and serious fatigue and carb cravings. (see: winter. *sigh)
    Also, finding a "hobby"... something you find relaxing but physically streneous... helped me sleep. Mine is rock climbing.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Personally it took me a good 2 months to feel normal after my MSc exams, I just felt exhausted all the time. I agree a routine is super helpful, do some exercise, but don't wear yourself out.

It's also worth dealing with this at some point, because stress comes and goes in our lives and it's important to have the coping mechanisms in place to deal with it. I didn't, which is why I struggled so much, but now I actually have a lot more going on in my life and yet I am coping much better.
  • Jkn921
    Options
    Thanks so so much. I am feeling in a more positive mood by talking to people about it. I'm planning to jump back into a routine and set myself goals including weight loss but with things I enjoy in general and will work on it from there gradually till I'm back to my normal self. I have stress techniques too but I was overwhelmed and tired to deal with it and now can apply them fully as my sleep is becoming a lot better.