130 lbs.... unrealistic???

Options

Replies

• JessieSky
    JessieSky Posts: 79
    Options
    Listen to your doctor, and most importantly your own body...as you get closer to your goal, see if it seems attainable. Maybe your healthy range will be just above the 'ideal' range, but still in a quite healthy range. Either way, your doctor would know far more than your friend. Hopefully she meant well, but either way I wouldn't put much into it.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Not unrealistic at all! But don't worry about that number right now. See how you progress and ones you start getting closer you can reevaluate.

If you get to 145 and look healthy,.. great! If you get there and feel you can lose some more,.. great! If you get to 130 and don't like it. Put some back on.

It's a goal, it's not set in stone. See where your journey takes you and at what point you feel healthy and happy!

You're friend may just be trying to keep you from getting disappointed. Don't worry about it.
  • saffron981
    saffron981 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No two people are going to look the same at the same weight. Find the weight that satisfies YOU.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    5'9" here and I have been down to 117 as an adult... however I was extremely thin at that time. 125-135 is a great weight for me and 130 - 125 is my goal weight. I have a small bone structure which should be taken into account, but I would think that at your height 130 is entirely possible to get to and still look healthy
  • JanessaDC
    JanessaDC Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and while I didn't look oddly skinny at 130-135, I look, feel, and maintain best at closer to 150. I found that if I tried to stay at 130 I couldn't have any flexibility/easing-off in my diet or exercise routines and that just didn't feel realistic.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Really it kind of depends on your bone structure. I am 5'8" a few years ago was as low as 120.
    However, I'm reasonably small boned.

That said, it didn't look good. I looked ill.
    Please don't live and die by the scale. It's never a good road.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body type...I'm 5'6" and shooting for 140. I have a slightly larger bone structure with broad shoulders. If you are like me, then it's probably a bit too skinny. The lowest I would ever even consider going is 135...looking back at some pics of myself at my skinniest I looked unhealthy. I'm not sure exactly what weight I was at in the pictures by my guess is about 130. I look great (and healthy) at 140 and I don't think anyone would guess my autual weight. I'll evaluate once I get there if I have a bit father to go, but it won't be much. The number on the scale (or on the tag of your jeans) isn't a good indicator of beauty. Don't worry about fitting what society says you should...just be your most healthy and beautiful self at whatever weight is best for you. A professional opinion would be the most trustworthy if you need guidance on what you should be aiming for.

Google the average australian weight and look at images of women that are all 154 (I think). It's pretty amazing how differently we all hold our weight.
  • mcadams214
    mcadams214 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting question because it involves so much more than just a number on a scale. I do believe you can be 5'7 and weight 130-135. However, that does not mean that you'll look great or you may look fantastic. It depnds on your lean body mass at the time and what your overall body type is.

My sister is 5'7 and weighs 128. She is a size 2/4 and has the ballerina body that is slight, long, lean and thin.

I am 5'8 and weigh 161. I do Crossfit and my lean body mass is 125 lbs. I did water submersion at Memorial Hospital to get this. I am a size 6/8. I weigh alot but my body fat is only 23%. My sister at 130 has a higher body fat than me at 26%.

Therefore, before you go and decide you want to be a number on the scale, first decide what clothing size you want to be, what body fat percentage you want (knowing that body builders for women are 15%, fitness models are 18-20%, athletes are 20-25% and that you are considered obese after 33% body fat.

Think on these things and then when you are size 4/6 and have 23% body fat, who cares if the scale says 140 or it could say 125, the bottom line is that you will be a healthy slim in shape chick!

Hope this helps.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks I will be really thin at 120, I think I will be just fine. We all have different ideas about what weight looks like. I would focus on the right now too, because the only way you will know, is once you get there. Also, you can weight the same at two different points in your life, and be completely different looking.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said I think you should just continue your journey and re-evaluate as you go along. Maybe 130 is not what you really want anyways.

130 lbs of muscle vs. 130 lbs of deprivation vs 130 lbs of fat = all different looks.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor, not your friend.

Put the time and work into getting the body you want and deserve.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    People get stuck on numbers. I'd just lose weight until you feel you've reached a healthy weight. For me, I'm trying to keep as much muscle as possible so that I'm not skinny fat when I reach my goal. When I reach my goal, I may lose more weight if I still have visible fat around my stomach. If I were to get rid of that before I reach my goal, I'd stop. Just shoot for a healthy body.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Do what is best for you.
  • flow2512
    flow2512 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was told today by my best friend that because of my size I will NEVER be 130 and look healthy. I'm 5'7", and was told by my doctor that 130-135 is the best goal I could go for. Are there any ladies here that are 5'7" and are 130-135 lbs?? I hope my friend isn't just saying that cause she doesn't want me skinnier than her. I would hate for her to think that way, especially when her and I are suppose to be friends.....

It sounds on the lower side of realistic, I am 5' 5" and my doctor says I should be between 120 - 150, I am aiming for 125 lb
    At the moment I am down from 215 lbs to 149 lbs and I've noticed that my friends that are heavier than me, all say ' you have lost enough, you don't need to lose anymore !! But my friends who are slimmer, all say carry on until I feel happy with the weight and size I feel comfortable with.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and I weigh 127lbs and people always tell me I look too thin - which I don't...I have a small frame so yes, I'm thin but I'm not skinny. I do think 130 for your hight might be borderline skinny.
  • Sarra33
    Sarra33 Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and maintained between 130 and 135 for many years. I'm now sitting at 159 and wanting to get back down to 135, it looks great on me. I've been as low as 120 but that's too thin for my frame.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said I think you should just continue your journey and re-evaluate as you go along. Maybe 130 is not what you really want anyways.

130 lbs of muscle vs. 130 lbs of deprivation vs 130 lbs of fat = all different looks.

Agreed. And you know what is healthy for you.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It depends on your bone structure AND your BF%.

I'm 5'6" and just found out my BF% is 30. So I have 112 lbs of LBM, meaning if I maintain all my LBM I'd be 20% BF at 140. If I got to 130 (what I've always thought of as a "typical" weight for my height), I'd have a body fat % of 14.

So I can either adjust my GW or my LBM, and I know which one I'd rather change.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 8 and at 140 I looked too skinny and people kept asking me if I was ill and I was freezing all the time. 154 looked awesome on me, I was slim, athletic with a few curves, really great for me. I have long arms and legs and broad shoulders.

20 years on. Will be glad to get to 170 from where I am at 181 and maybe eventually 160 but intentionally REALLY SLOWLY.

After years of yoyo diets I can now call myself a Permaloser having lost 50lbs and kept it off for a year so far. I'll never go back to my old bad habits.

I also go by body fat percentage. I am 27% right now. Never want to go below 22% as I'll look too skinny and being over forty I'll look more wrinkly!! Lol
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 125, size 4, but I am small-boned. I think my husband would've preferred that I stopped losing weight at a size 6 honestly, but I enjoy being this size and have been successfully maintaining for several months now.

I'm 5'7" and used to have my goal at 135. I just don't think it's realistic for me. Before my last pregnancy, I weighed 153.8 and wore a size 4 (US).

I quoted the above post for you to see how much body composition comes into play.

Weight is just one measure and not a very good one, at that, because it can fluctuate wildly for various reasons.

Who cares if you weigh more or less than your friend? Why does she care so much?

Don't get too hung up on the number on the scale. Go with how you look/feel/fit in clothes.

ETA that at almost 154 lbs I wore a size 4 (US) or a small/extra small in "non-vanity-sizing stores." I wore a 2 (and even a 0! or an XXS if they had it) in stores where sizing is a little more generous.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!