Going over in sugars - is this a problem?

Options
I've been doing MFP for a couple of weeks, and my sugar total is always in the red at the end of the day (I'm always very slightly under my 1200cal allowance). I'm losing weight - week one 6lb and week two 4lb, although I expect this to slow (I was expecting 1-2lb per week, so was surprised). My sugars are probably because I'm eating a lot of fruit, particularly berries and tomatoes. I'm not eating cakes and biscuits - so should I be worried about the sugar figure being too high?

I've read that high sugars are a problem, but haven't seen anyone explain why.

Sharon

Replies

• Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    seeing as you are eating a lot of fruit (Good Sugar .. IMHO), you're losing weight and don't have a medical problem .. I personally don't see a problem.

The high initial weight loss is most likely water.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    it's only a problem if it eats into your protein or fat minimums, otherwise it's fine, as long as you're in the same deficit you'll the same amount of weight
  • hannahthesenior
    Options
    Just remember that sugar is a carbohydrate, so look at your total carbohydrate intake for the day and go from that, the only sugars that are a problem are REFINED sugars, like HGCS (high glucose corn syrup) and cane sugar, all other sugars have many health benefits, just remember that sugar is broken down into glucose which is your bodys #1 energy source, so if you are trying to lose weight then I suggest you cut RIGHT BACK.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've been doing MFP for a couple of weeks, and my sugar total is always in the red at the end of the day (I'm always very slightly under my 1200cal allowance). I'm losing weight - week one 6lb and week two 4lb, although I expect this to slow (I was expecting 1-2lb per week, so was surprised). My sugars are probably because I'm eating a lot of fruit, particularly berries and tomatoes. I'm not eating cakes and biscuits - so should I be worried about the sugar figure being too high?

Sharon

Yes; it will become a problem. Fructose (sugar is glucose and fructose) is not metabolized in the body as glucose is and converts to fat. It must be kept to a 10 percent of your calories, which will allow for the sugar in fruit. Our bodies were not made for processing food that comes in packages. Studies after studies after studies are pointing toward the obesity problem. If you reduce your sugar (and be careful you do not add it back in in the form of artificial ingredients... it is disguised in many ways), you WILL reach your goal.
    There is plenty of research you can read on the subject. You may find this interesting. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/opinion/bittman-an-inconvenient-truth-about-our-food.html?_r=0

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • princessbessica
    princessbessica Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that - those links are really useful :-)
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

Sharon

Yes; it will become a problem. Fructose (sugar is glucose and fructose) is not metabolized in the body as glucose is and converts to fat. It must be kept to a 10 percent of your calories, which will allow for the sugar in fruit. Our bodies were not made for processing food that comes in packages. Studies after studies after studies are pointing toward the obesity problem. If you reduce your sugar (and be careful you do not add it back in in the form of artificial ingredients... it is disguised in many ways), you WILL reach your goal.
    There is plenty of research you can read on the subject. You may find this interesting. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/opinion/bittman-an-inconvenient-truth-about-our-food.html?_r=0

Joanne Moniz

^^ Totally this!!

My BMI was used to be in the normal range. And then this one time, at band camp, I ate fructose. I woke up the next morning and I was obese. I will never ever never again wrap my lips around a fruit roll up.

Stay away from it!!!
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options

Sharon

Joanne Moniz
    utter nonsense
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Sharon

Joanne Moniz

This is bullpoop. Ignore this post.
    Someone may actually believe your nonsense someday, so please stop!
  • princessbessica
    princessbessica Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the reasurrance - I'll carry on doing what I'm doing for now, and see how it goes.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Sharon

I think this will be helpful for you to... from Harvard Health... http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-fructose-bad-for-you-201104262425
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Sharon

I think this will be helpful for you to... from Harvard Health... http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-fructose-bad-for-you-201104262425

Ignore this poster - It's all lies!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Personally I try to ignore sugars that are eaten in their natural form. Bananas, berries and broccoli are not really something I worry about whereas the Naked Juice I have every morning with it's considerable amount of apple juice (nearly processed sugar in my mind) is something I would like to reduce.

MFP doesn't really make a distinction between the two types of sugars and scientifically there probably isn't much of a difference. I just think the body has evolved better to deal with sugars wrapped in fruits and vegetables rather than those that are extracted from the fruits and vegetables.

From what I understand of human development over the last million years or so, our bodies are probably far more used to fruits and vegetables than they are to protein and fat so I'm happy to feed my engine more carbs than are "recommended" but I do strive to make sure those carbs come from real food as much as possible.