I STOPPED EATING MEAT AND MY STOMACH GOT BIGGER

Options
:noway: :noway:

About 2 weeks ago, my cousin and I decided to do a Vegan week!! Nothing with eyes, for 1 week just to try jump start our weight loss. My stomach wasn't flat to start with (I had a lil pooch ) but I now have a POUCH!!! What the hell is going on? Is it something in that meatless meat I don't know about?

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Processed soy products, just like all other processed food products, tend to have a lot of sodium. You don't need to add fake meats to be vegan. However, as you found out, going vegan (or vegetarian, or wheat-free, or anything else) doesn't have anything to do with weight loss. You can lose, gain or maintain your weight just as easily on a vegan diet as you can eating meat.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You were probably also eating more carbs and restoring glycogen levels which increases water weight.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Going vegan will not necessarily jump start your weight loss. Change in weight is primarily dictated by calories in/out.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 7 years.
    I've been 200+ lbs as one, and I've been under my current goal weight as one.
    A vegetarian/ vegan lifestyle shouldn't have anything to do with weight loss. Eat food that you plan on eating for the rest of you life- it'll make the process way easier.
    I eat a lot of meatless meat products and they are PACKED with sodium. I drink at least 10 glasses of water a day when I eat any of those products just to make sure I don't bloat.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    LOL <<all caps
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

About 2 weeks ago, my cousin and I decided to do a Vegan week!! Nothing with eyes, for 1 week just to try jump start our weight loss. My stomach wasn't flat to start with (I had a lil pooch ) but I now have a POUCH!!! What the hell is going on? Is it something in that meatless meat I don't know about?

Why would that jump start weight loss?
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Just because you were eating vegan doesn't automatically assume you are in a calorie deficit.

Weight loss doesn't need to be jumpstarted - you're not a car lol :flowerforyou:

Set a deficit, eat that, shake your booty and only cut out meat if you don't like it
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Were you eating a lot of broccoli? Broccoli makes me bloated.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

About 2 weeks ago, my cousin and I decided to do a Vegan week!! Nothing with eyes, for 1 week just to try jump start our weight loss.

you know cutting out meat doesnt make you vegan, right?
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

About 2 weeks ago, my cousin and I decided to do a Vegan week!! Nothing with eyes,

So no potatoes then?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Going vegan will not necessarily jump start your weight loss. Change in weight is primarily dictated by calories in/out.

This. /end thread
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Eating vegan (nothing with eyes) doesn't necessarily jump start weight loss. You can eat entire bags of Doritos and scads of pasta without encountering a single eyeball but I guarantee you won't lose weight if you don't have a caloric deficit in whatever food you choose to eat.
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should add back in some fish? It still counts if it doesn't have eyes:

Mexican_Tetra_as_Blind_Cave_Fish.jpg
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Is it gas?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Whether you eat meat or not is pretty irrelevant to losing weight. If you want to go vegan, that's cool and all...but you should have better reasons for doing it.

Most likely you are bloated from carb intake and fiber from fruits and veg.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

About 2 weeks ago, my cousin and I decided to do a Vegan week!! Nothing with eyes, for 1 week just to try jump start our weight loss.

you know cutting out meat doesnt make you vegan, right?

This.

Vegan is more than just not eating things with eyes.

As others have said, going vegan for a week won't jumpstart any weight loss. There are fat vegans.
  • janetsalley
    janetsalley Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Well silly me...I thought that cutting out meat would help the weight loss!! Now I know better lol....thanks for the input, the good and the bad. Someone actually told me that cutting out the meat would help me detox, but I'm eating at a deficit again, I just didn't understand why my stomach grew a whole inch in 5 days. Yes I know "Vegan" is more than just eating anything with eyes..I figured you would get the point without me writing a whole essay...sheesh!!! But thanks guys.