I really don't want to go back to the gym...

Options
So I was exercising pretty regularly from February - April.
I had a pretty regular routine, I did cardio classes Monday, Wednesdays, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday I did Yoga, and Friday I did abs class.
Until this girl starting going on about "fat b*****es" that take up space in yoga classes.

Now I feel like I ought to work out at home on workout DVDs until I get thin enough to be seen at a public gym.
Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    "Don't let someone else's opinion of you become your reality." Les Brown.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hey you shouldn't feel uncomfortable at a gym that your a member at! She has no right too make those type of comments! If I were you I would speak with the instructor and management. There is no one that will ever prevent me from going to my gym!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    "You can't fix stupid" - Ron White.

This chick has bigger problems than you ever will and asshats like her don't deserve to be able to affect other people's lives.

Get back in there. You deserve to be there, you deserve to do this for you. Don't get embarrassed and hide, get mad and show that ***** that you have just as much a right to be there as her rude little butt does.

If she's going on in class, take it up with the instructor. If it's out of class, master a death stare.
  • slw5X5
    slw5X5 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Who says she was talking about you? Besides, you have just as much of right to work out there as the next person.
  • ssmaling
    ssmaling Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    People can only make you feel as bad as you let them.

You keep on going to that gym. Obviously that girl has issues that need more attention than going to a gym. You don't have to meet any certain requirement to be seen in public (although, clothing is always a good idea...just sayin'. lol). You're a human being and you have just as much of a right to be at that gym as anyone else does. So I say you keep on with the routine you were loving. You go and do your thing and show that girl how awesome you are and while you're at it, you'll show yourself! Don't give her the power of dictating to you how you feel about yourself!

P.S. - The gym is intended for people of all different shapes and sizes working towards various fitness goals.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    "You can't fix stupid" - Ron White.

This chick has bigger problems than you ever will and asshats like her don't deserve to be able to affect other people's lives.

Get back in there. You deserve to be there, you deserve to do this for you. Don't get embarrassed and hide, get mad and show that ***** that you have just as much a right to be there as her rude little butt does.

If she's going on in class, take it up with the instructor. If it's out of class, master a death stare.

Basically this ^^^. Get in there, kick *kitten*, and show her who's boss!

ETA: I never had this problem at my gym, because I made friends with all the staff, so I basically got upgraded to full protection status whenever I was there :glasses:
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    This is what my response would have been had I overheard that:

"I know, right!? It's almost as bad as when narrow-minded, egotistical, dim-witted (insert expletive, I would have gone with one that starts with c) waste space in this universe with their existence, huh? Oh well. That's life, I guess." and then go back at being awesome at yoga.

There is no room for that sort of attitude in a place of health and fitness.
  • sana1314
    sana1314 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm sure half of the people in that gym already think you are a hero, cuz you are working out and you wanna get in shape which is a lot harder that working out when you are already in shape and just wanna correct something.
    I, personally, admire people like you. There will always be haters out there, but there always be people that will support you. Keep up the good work!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    This is what my response would have been had I overheard that:

"I know, right!? It's almost as bad as when narrow-minded, egotistical, dim-witted (insert expletive, I would have gone with one that starts with c) waste space in this universe with their existence, huh? Oh well. That's life, I guess." and then go back at being awesome at yoga.

There is no room for that sort of attitude in a place of health and fitness.
    This. This one wins. OP, I would double up on the yoga classes just to spite that bish. And I'd eat a burrito for lunch and make sure my big sexy musical butt was right in her face when we did Downward Dog.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    So what did the class instructor say when you brought it up? You did bring it up with the class instructor, right?
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the more fit people that work out at my gym (trust me it wasn't always that way). When I see people that are working their tails off, no matter what their body type...I have tremendous respect for them. There are very few people born into the body they want, everyone in the gym started from ground zero and is trying to better themselves.

Never be satisfied with where you are, but also never be ashamed for trying to make a difference. After all, you ARE lapping everyone sitting on their couch right now, right?:wink:
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Report this to management in writing,if no action taken, sue the management as well as the bi*ch for psychological trauma.
  • comrade_questions
    comrade_questions Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to sound cliche, but I usually find that these girls are really, really insecure, myself included. When I find myself thinking nasty thoughts about another female in the gym, whether it's for how she's behaving while she's lifting, what kind of workout she's doing, how much she's lifting... if I really look into myself, I can almost always point to some kind of mean jealousy or insecurity about myself. The fact that they chose to vocalize it just means they're that much more insecure and jerk-y. Ignore them. Pity them, probably. If you keep doing you, they'll get over it. You have nothing to prove to anyone.
  • Myfitfutureself
    Myfitfutureself Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hold your head up high and your middle finger higher!!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Appropriate weight to be seen at the gym: anywhere from 1-X000
    Don't let the narrow mindedness and RUDEness of one Mega-B derail you from your health goals. Go in, hold your head high, and if she says something again, confront her or talk to management. Your being there doesn't detract from her experience, if anything, hers detracts from yours. Bring some friends if you need the extra support.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I would rather be in a room full of people who are bettering themselves, regardless of shape or size... Than share space with a disrespectful wind bag.

I'd say loud enough for her to hear... I'm so thankful that I can take classes to better myself. It's so much easier to lose weight, than it is to lose stupidity.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    There are horrible people everywhere you go... and even if everyone was skinny at the gym class.. they would find something bad to say about someone..

This person has no right to be at the gym with you... and You should inform the owner that she is making others feel uncomfortable... because she is only one... and she is running off many... by making rude comments... I know if it was my gym i wouldn't want her there...
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Who is she to arbitrate who gets to use the gym and who doesn't? Nobody, that's who. You pay your dues, you have just as much right to be there as she does.
  • One_Last_Time
    One_Last_Time Posts: 125
    Options
    Ignore her, if she doesn't like sharing the class she can find another.