Q & A Ask me Anything?

Options
Hi I'm Craig Brough,
I've worked in the fitness industry for 5 years as a personal trainer, sports massage therapist and group exercise instructor.
I have a real passion for Kettlebells, Dynamax training.
I welcome any questions about exercise and any other topics you have.
My main reason for being in the fitness industry is to help people achieve their goals.

Replies

• DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    What are you selling?
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Why do I get so hungry when I do push ups or lift 20 lb weights?
  • Train2fitness
    Train2fitness Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not selling anything, just a basic q&a
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    why use kettlebells when barbells are more efficient in building strength & gaining size?
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    What is the difference in regard to what muscles are targeted betwen Deadlifts and Sumo deadlifts?
  • Train2fitness
    Options
    Is it only these exercises that make you hungry?
    To be honest there could be a number of reasons.
    It depends when and what you ate pre workout.
    All exercise also burns calories, depending on the activity and the intensity will account for how many calories and how quickly they are burnt.There are also a number of other reasons it could be.
    Useful things to look up are explanations of exercise METS, and how heart rate affects calorie burn and finally how blood flow rushes to the working muscles during exercise whilst reducing bloodflow to the digestive system.
  • Train2fitness
    Options
    Kettlebells are not specifically used for gaining strength somewhat, although they develop your core and posterior chain strength. In my opinion the purpose of kettlebells are more a dynamic tool for increasing motor skills and stablisation skills. Barbells are very hard to use dynamically unless your doing Olympic lifts, which need very high skill and coordination. One thing to try is the Turkish Get Up, if you can do this with a sizable Kettlebell correctly with good form then maybe kettlebells aren't for you.
  • louisianagirl1612
    louisianagirl1612 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use resistance bands in lieu of weights, will the resistance bands be as effective as weights in toning muscle?
  • Train2fitness
    Options
    Resistance bands are a good starting point if used correctly and with good form. Make sure your using the correct resistance and rep system though as if too easy results will be slim to none. In my opinion buy a set of adjustable dumbbells when you can afford to. And focus on form and the correct weight that challenges you.
  • louisianagirl1612
    louisianagirl1612 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding! I am using them at home when I can't get to the gym and use their weights. I can feel the burn when I use them so I figure they must be doing something but you never know. Certainly don't want to backtrack and lose the muscle I worked so hard for.
  • bexcobham
    bexcobham Posts: 107
    Options
    Hi there. I have a question.

I gained 12 lbs when I started taking anticonvulsant meds, so I started working out, doing bodyweight training and Jillian Michaels workouts. The scales weren't budging and I seemed to be getting really puffy. I went on the scales one day and then weighed the following day and had lost 7 lbs. I'm a woman, and it's not even that time of the month. Is this normal? What is going on with my body?

Btw, I've never posted before, but have been lurking. So, hello everyone. I need to upload a profile pic!
  • Train2fitness
    Options
    Sumo deadlifts create more knee extension so focus on the quads to a great extent.
    Sumo deadlifts have greater ankle movements, which are dorsiflexion moments throughout the lift, while the conventional deadlift maintained plantar-flexion moments throughout the lift. sumo deadlifts make use of the tibialis anterior to a greater extent, while the conventional deadlift make use of the calf muscles to a greater extent.
    Hope this helps
  • fit4w8
    fit4w8 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When should I have my protein shake before my workout or right after? I am trying to lose weight.
  • Train2fitness
    Options
    Without knowing possible side affects to your medication, i couldn't give an accurate answer to your question.
    Without this factor, Did you diet change. From my past experiences i have noticed that some of my clients have taken longer to initially lose weight, as your body becomes lean it starts to burn more kcals naturally.
    7lbs in one week is not unusual, but try and stick to the the recommended 2lbs a week loss.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm a very keen runner and dancer, but a fall last week means that my foot will be in plaster for 4-6 weeks.

Can I do any light upper body exercise for a while? How should I plan to get back into running once I've recovered?
  • bexcobham
    bexcobham Posts: 107
    Options
    I started doing the 5:2 diet about 5 weeks ago, but had not lost any weight. I've just started doing myfitnesspal properly and logging stuff this week and trying my best to eat clean. These new meds make me hungry and crave sugar and that's a pretty common side effect.

The weight literally went overnight. It was there one day and gone the next. Then again, I've been doing an hour of circuit training 4 to 5 x a week and some HIIT 2 to 3 x a week since the end of March. I hadn't lost anything untill this week. Thanks for reassuring me though!
  • Train2fitness
    Options
    Protein Shakes are generally taken directly after a workout, as there main purpose is for recovery.
    If your using for them for weight loss, there are many protein shakes tailored to this, many contain green tea extract, CLA & Acai berries. Best to get advice from a supplement shop so its best suited to your needs. Eg if you use it as a meal replacement. Hope this helps.
  • Train2fitness
    Options
    Light upper body work is fine, if possible do it in a seated position, so as to not weight bear on the foot.
    i would recommend physiotherapy after the cast comes off, this will help to mobilise the ankle again and to regain muscle strength in your legs due to muscle wastage caused by the cast. Until a physio clears you to resume running and wouldn't advise it. After doing so progression needs to be slow.
  • OliviaCeed
    OliviaCeed Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis in all my major joints. The worse joint is my right knee; tri-compartemental cartilage loss, macerated meniscus, and I need a medial unloader brace. I have been swimming as exercise and follow a warm-water stretch program 2x a week. I have recently added a deep-end (to avoid foot impact) water cardio w/o class. My weekly physio includes stretch bands, a bosu ball and a recumbent bike. My legs are identified as weak with reduced flexibility.

Swimming/Aquatics has helped a lot in feeling not so stiff. And it's also helped endurance. My therapist suggests I look for a core-strength program and use my recumbent bike (I have one at home too).

I've been to my local Y and frankly, I'm not up to going to a gym. A gym is different. And while it's true it doesn't matter what people are going to think, I feel exposed and out of place. I'm not ready for that kind of experience. Not yet. Maybe later. Surely though, there must be something I can start on to build strength on something.

What can I do at home that will avoid sole impact and build core strength? (whatever that is)
  • fit4w8
    fit4w8 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for answering my question, I do drink it after my work out and unfortunately I have alot of allergies so I can not consume green tea. Have a good day.