SO FRUSTRATED. ABOUT TO GIVE UP.

Options
13»

Replies

• AusEliza
    AusEliza Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great information here. I was in the same position a few months ago. I just steadily increased the intensity of my workouts and I was back on track. I think I was being to relaxed with my regime.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    not for nothing- but you are not burning 2300 a day.

I would assume she means that's her TDEE - not 2300 just from exercise, which could be pretty accurate.

I assumed that too. That's what Fitbit tells me and based on math plus results it seems correct. It also means that 1500 calories is a fine deficit depending on what her goal is and how much she has to lose.
  • logicalloss
    logicalloss Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Its the food. It's ALWAYS the food. When you watch the biggest loser and those people step on the scale and go "But I worked out so hard..."
    It's the food... (sadly they don't show that).
    Now I will say it doesn't matter when you eat it or where you eat it... but

It's the food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Okay, having looked at the diary, it looks to me like what others are saying: (1) you go over sometimes (I haven't added up how much or how frequently, but enough to matter), and (2) there are lots of unlogged days. I don't know why the days are unlogged, but it seems likely you are eating more on them or food that's difficult to categorize and might not even know. This is apart from whether the logging is accurate, which I didn't look at.

Adding lifting could cause you to retain water, etc., but not enough to mask a loss for 2 months, I don't think. The timing here is probably a coincidence and no reason to stop exercise. You might be overestimating exercise calories a little, but the bigger issue is consistent logging.

You say you were losing 2/week consistently until 2 months ago--for how long and at what weight? It's normal to lose more easily right at first, even with nothing changing.

If you review your food entries then and over the last 2 months, do you see anything that has changed? Are you eating differently or stuff that might be more challenging to log, especially if you are using estimates?

Ideally, I'd say count up the amount logged over the last month and average it to get the real amount you are eating per day, but you can't do that, since you have lots of missing days, so maybe try to be really strict with your logging for a couple of weeks and then assess. The actual deficit seems like it should be fine if you meet your goal consistently.
  • isabellaverburg
    isabellaverburg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If your doing the weight lifting for fat loss you might as well stop. Weight lifting for weight loss makes little sense. It will help you look better and either help you gain endurance, strength or both but a pound of muscle doesn't burn much more than a pound of fat. It takes a tremendous effort to gain a pound of muscle and even when you do it only burns an extra 5 or 6 calories then a pound of fat PER DAY (yes fat cells are cells and as such have to be maintained and need calories to function). You actually lose a ton more from the workout portion then you do from the fat burning effects of muscling up. If you want to lose weight go for high calorie torching exercise. For instance your going to lose a ton more from an hour long kettle bell exercise program then you would for an hour of lifting weights. Zumba, running, and ellipticals are also up there. You also might get a stall if you have a health problem. I'm a diabetic. It usually makes it hard for me to lose weight. I did everything I was supposed to yet never seemed to lose. Turned out it was mostly due to insulin resistance. What would happen is I'd have to many carbohydrates for my body to handle (which isn't hard since I can only handle half of what a healthy person can). My body would flood with fat storing hormone insulin and it would never release fat burning hormones until those carbs were finally stored and my blood sugar was normal. I found two ways to overcome it. Draconian limitation of carbs and fasting. Since, my body would often refuse to store sugar as fat despite being flooded with insulin and I could have high blood sugar all day. Eating more just added to it and I'd never get low enough for storage to kick in and fat burning to start. Finally I refused to eat and just had water and vitamins until my body began to use the sugar in my blood stream. When I reached a normal blood sugar level it was EASY to drop a pound or two a week. You could have a problem like this or a thyroid problem or any other such problem.
  • Zaxine
    Zaxine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump